New members introduce yourself here

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hello All,

I am a new ASL player (learner)...well sort of, since like so many here I have made a couple of previous attempts at the hobby only to be sidetracked by real life stuff. Now I am in my mid 30's and things are a little "quieter" so I am very eager to jump back in. The last time I attempted to learn I used ASLSK, however I am feeling like this time I would like to learn straight away using full ASL. Since I have the 2nd ed RB and BV (2nd Ed.?), I have been laying out the maps and playing through chapter K. It's actually a lot more helpful than I think I thought and so far I am enjoying just working through it. I live in Central PA, Harrisburg area and have VASL as well. I am always up for learning by playing if any of you experts have the time! Other games I enjoy (GMT stuff in general, Heroes of Normandie, Game of Thrones LCG, lots of others. Thanks!

Hey There ndPA!

Welcome aboard!! Don't hesitate to ask questions, ask for help and look for opponents, both ftf and VASL.

You have a 2nd Edition version of Beyond Valor if it has the Red Barricades material included. If it has about 10 geo maps, it is the 3rd Edition.

Cheers,

Mark Sockwell
Joplin, MO

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I live in Central PA, Harrisburg area
I'm not sure of local players, but you live centrally to many ASL tournaments, which are also a great place to learn ASL and meet players from around the world. Playing against others is the best way to learn ASL.

Nigel66

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello All,
Just working my way through the Starter Kits at the moment. I know already that this is going to be something that will absorb me in the long term and I`m picking up as much of full ASL as I can afford. Seems like a lot is being re-issued, luckily!
Nigel

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hello All,
Just working my way through the Starter Kits at the moment. I know already that this is going to be something that will absorb me in the long term and I`m picking up as much of full ASL as I can afford. Seems like a lot is being re-issued, luckily!
Nigel

Welcome aboard Nigel! Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Cheers,

Mark

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello All,
Nigel
Hi mate,

Welcome, need any help at any time just ask, want a game (am still getting back into ASL myself) give me a shout.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Hi folks!

I am a forum noob, but old hat at ASL - too old and too long out of it. I've been playing since the original SL came out and was a die-hard - staying with it continually through the first 5 years of ASL. Since then, however, real life made it quite hard to keep up, and though I've attempted VASL from time to time, I really haven't played much in the last 10 years. I think things have changed now!

I am slowing rebuilding my knowledge of the RB (actually a bit surprised how much I DO remember!), but need a bit more practice until I dare to appear on VASL again. In the meantime, I have been finding this forum to be a HUGE help as I slowly require my ASL chops. Thanks to everyone for your questions, answers, and great debates! I look forward to joining in (though I suppose I first need to find a cool avatar!)

Here's one question for now: I have been reading and relearning from a 2nd Edition RB (binder) with a brand new pocket edition (which is VERY handy and somewhat updated from my other copy of the RB). However, all of my boards and counters come from 1st edition ASL and expansions. This leaves me with almost the complete OOB for every ASL nation, but with out of date map boards and counters. Also, for most of my chapter H, I have to use the 1st edition RB. While I don't care too much about using old counters and mapboards, what else am I missing? And is there a way to get the non-German/Russian chapter H pages without having to buy all of the expansion's over again?

Thanks in advance!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's one question for now: I have been reading and relearning from a 2nd Edition RB (binder) with a brand new pocket edition (which is VERY handy and somewhat updated from my other copy of the RB). However, all of my boards and counters come from 1st edition ASL and expansions. This leaves me with almost the complete OOB for every ASL nation, but with out of date map boards and counters. Also, for most of my chapter H, I have to use the 1st edition RB. While I don't care too much about using old counters and mapboards, what else am I missing? And is there a way to get the non-German/Russian chapter H pages without having to buy all of the expansion's over again?
Thanks in advance!
As for the boards and Ch H don't worry too much, not all that much has changed (boards esp.) and if you have the errata you won't run into many problems (complete errata can be found in PDF form here in the rules section-also check out MMP site for down-loadable errata pages). Until the release of the new Yanks, that part remains unchanged as well as the Italians, and other changes were mostly due to errata as mentioned. You can pick & choose for packs to complement your current kit towards where ever your interests lie. My biggest concern is that you may meet a select set of the many other players in Michigan, I know many these guys personally and they're a scary lot! That being said, welcome abck aboard, I'm sure you'll find many a good folk in MI as relatively close opponents, and many a good one here on the forums (some a little scary though).

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Alot of folks here scare me!

...But thanks for the kindly response! It is good to be on board!

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alot of folks here scare me!

...But thanks for the kindly response! It is good to be on board!
Your avatar scares me...my first impression was 'serial arsonist' LOL.

Anyways, welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!

JPaulus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi new to the forums. Was looking over my ASL collection a few weeks ago and decided I needed to play again. Haven't played since around 1990 though. I've since ordered the ASL Starter Kit #1 as a place to start and knock the rust off a bit. Not exactly sure of the items I do have that is still compatible with 2nd edition other than I know I need to get the 2nd Edition binder. The modules I have are: Beyond Valor, Paratrooper, Yanks, Partisan, West of Alamein, The Last Hurrah, Hollow Legions, Streets of Fire, Hedgerow Hell and Red Barricades.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi new to the forums. Was looking over my ASL collection a few weeks ago and decided I needed to play again. Haven't played since around 1990 though. I've order the ASL Starter Kit #1 as a place to start and knock the rust off a bit. Not exactly sure of the items I do have that is still compatible with 2nd edition other than I know I need to get the 2nd Edition binder. The modules I have: Beyond Valor, Paratrooper, Yanks, Partisan, West of Alamein, The Last Hurrah, Hollow Legions, Streets of Fire, Hedgerow Hell and Red Barricades.
Welcome to the madhouse.
All your modules are fine.
You will need the newer maps - they now are cardstock style (mounted don't exist anymore) and can be ordered on multimanpublishing.
Next move would be Rising Sun (which regroups the previous Code of Bushido and Gung Ho! modules) so you can discover the wonderful PTO world.
If you prefer ETO, then go for Hakkaa Pääle, which has the whole Finnish OB.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hi new to the forums. Was looking over my ASL collection a few weeks ago and decided I needed to play again. Haven't played since around 1990 though. I've since ordered the ASL Starter Kit #1 as a place to start and knock the rust off a bit. Not exactly sure of the items I do have that is still compatible with 2nd edition other than I know I need to get the 2nd Edition binder. The modules I have are: Beyond Valor, Paratrooper, Yanks, Partisan, West of Alamein, The Last Hurrah, Hollow Legions, Streets of Fire, Hedgerow Hell and Red Barricades.

Welcome back to the fold!!

Make sure to try and hook up with the Twin Cities ASL group; pretty good bunch of guys.

Cheers,

Mark

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Welcome back!

It may also well be worth to check out VASL (Virtual ASL). Easy to find opponents/trainers across the globe.

www.vasl.info

von Marwitz

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You will need the newer maps - they now are cardstock style (mounted don't exist anymore) and can be ordered on multimanpublishing.
Your mounted maps will do just fine for now. The new maps while thinner (and with computerized graphics) are compatible with the older mounted boards. (You can stack a couple of the cardstock boards on top of each in order to mate them with the mounted boards.

Mounted boards are only available for boards 1-52 (plenty of these floating around on eBay and elsewhere). So boards 53 and up are card stock. IOW, don't through away your old boards and buy a map bundle unless you are flush with cash.

In any case, welcome back!

JPaulus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks everybody. I will check out Twin Cities ASL and VASL.

So I don't need to purchase the new version of Beyond Valor or the two new British modules that take the place of West of Alamein? Other than for the new map boards?

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks everybody. I will check out Twin Cities ASL and VASL.

So I don't need to purchase the new version of Beyond Valor or the two new British modules that take the place of West of Alamein? Other than for the new map boards?
Hi, welcome.

Better counters too with a larger font but only one British module (For King and Country) but I wouldn't bother yet unless money is not a problem.

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just wanted to quickly introduce myself as a newbie ASL SK player, currently working with Pat Ireland to get me up to speed. I've always been fascinated with ASL and have the core rules plus many modules, but never knew anyone around me (Oceanside, CA) that played. With the advent of the starter kits, I decided to give VASL a shot, and am enjoying it!

Best regards,
Alan Krause

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Welcome aboard! I am a noob board member, myself - and am likewise getting back in gear with ASL. Still, I have found forum members to be extremely helpful and a great resource. And if you haven't found them yet, Jay Richardson's excellent tutorials are very good for a quick refresher. The first can be found here

I see that your ETO lacks "Doomed Battalions" and "Armies of Oblivion" like mine - I am looking forward to completing the Axis and Allied minor OOBs, but I won't hold my breath for reprinting (just hope I am paying attention when they reappear)!

JPaulus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll definitely check the tutorials out. Can't wait until ASLSK 1 arrives. I have been skimming my V1 rules and I'm surprised how much is coming back.

Ouch on those eBay prices for Doomed Battalions and Armies of Oblivion.