World Series 2015

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Longest day ever...as I nervously wait for my beloved Mets to take the national stage for the first time since 2000. I have nothing but respect for the Royals - a real throwback team of professional hitters who place a premium on defense and play great fundamental baseball. Should be a great series.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a So. Cal'er, I rooted for the Dodgers. Then my dad being from IL, I rooted for the Cubs. The Mets have destroyed my NL teams at each step. But my main team, the BJ's, lost to KC on some cheesy first-to-home single. Therefore, I suppose I am rooting for the Mets. Because I hate KC more! Grrr.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
America's pastime. It is 9:45 p.m. here on the west coast which means it is 12:45 a.m. on the east coast as we go to the top of the 13th. How can kids follow the world series with hours like these.

The world series should be played during the day, especially on the weekend. Not 1 a.m. at night as we approach November. MLB has ruined the game to appease TV. Whose ratings must be nonexistent this time of night!

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
America's pastime. It is 9:45 p.m. here on the west coast which means it is 12:45 a.m. on the east coast as we go to the top of the 13th. How can kids follow the world series with hours like these.

The world series should be played during the day, especially on the weekend. Not 1 a.m. at night as we approach November. MLB has ruined the game to appease TV. Whose ratings must be nonexistent this time of night!
Some random thoughts.

It's a great American tradition to cut school for a World Series game, which doesn't make it right, of course. I wish that kids today cut school for such benign reasons. It's even better than going to the mall. To shoplift.

In the old days before lighted fields, the most popular time to start a ball game on a work day was about 4 pm (plus or minus). That was late enough to just take a few hours off from work, but early enough to finish comfortably before sunset.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It feels like yesterday never ended.

Of course when you get like ten minutes sleep because you can't stop obsessing about Gordon's freaking home run in the ninth...it will do that to ya.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It feels like yesterday never ended.

Of course when you get like ten minutes sleep because you can't stop obsessing about Gordon's freaking home run in the ninth...it will do that to ya.
Gordon was a pretty special player when he was at Nebraska as well. Actually went to the same high school as him and only reason I ever followed him in high school was generally we always sucked at baseball except when he was there and all of sudden they were playing for State.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As a So. Cal'er, I rooted for the Dodgers. Then my dad being from IL, I rooted for the Cubs. The Mets have destroyed my NL teams at each step. But my main team, the BJ's, lost to KC on some cheesy first-to-home single. Therefore, I suppose I am rooting for the Mets. Because I hate KC more! Grrr.
The prevailing view in Toronto is that the Jays are out because a fan reached into play and snagged a fly ball which was then ruled a home run for the Royals.
The paranoid version is that MLB ruled it a home run in order to keep the Jays out, which would have been a ratings disaster for the US networks.

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The prevailing view in Toronto is that the Jays are out because a fan reached into play and snagged a fly ball which was then ruled a home run for the Royals.
The paranoid version is that MLB ruled it a home run in order to keep the Jays out, which would have been a ratings disaster for the US networks.
Is that fan related to Jeffrey Maier? :)

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't listen to the last game because I jinx the team whenever I listen to them so I did my best.

It did seem that every play under review went against the Jays though!

As to MLB and TV ratings... it already is a disaster. You could put a Yankees-Dodgers World Series game 7 versus an NFL pre-season game and I am sure the NFL would have 5 times the audience.

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As to MLB and TV ratings... it already is a disaster. You could put a Yankees-Dodgers World Series game 7 versus an NFL pre-season game and I am sure the NFL would have 5 times the audience.
Maybe but MLB has 10 times the number of games so they don't need to have a huge share every day.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't watch a lot of baseball, but wow, the Mets look about clueless out there with KC's bats.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's hard to watch baseball anymore. It's so slow.
It is too slow. The average game in the 1950's took just under two hours. I think both the pace of the game itself (time between pitches) and tv commercials have really slowed it down.

I believe next year they are going to a clock on the pitches. I could be wrong but that is my lazy, hazy memory of reading something earlier this year.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's hard to watch baseball anymore. It's so slow.
Agree. Always try to take the girls to a few Rookies games each year, but that is even limited as the cost for a family of five is almost cost prohibitive. Other than that, baseball is only in the TV during the World Series. Played it daily as a kid, but hard to watch on TV.

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Orioles have special pricing on Tuesdays, all Upper Reserved seats are $10. I try to go to a few each year. Costs more to park than for the ticket!.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It definitely can be too pricey to go to the park. As for game speed - NL games tend to be quicker, and I can enjoy a 2-1/2 hour event. Say 7:30 to 10:00 on a given weeknight. So the pace doesn't bother me as much. Plus the tension ratchets up so much given the time you have to think between pitches - though there is no physical action, hte intellectual excercise can make time fly.

Anyway - I can't see the NYM winning four out of five against this gutty, smart baseball team - Game 1 will prove to be a series turning killer.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bite me.

The Royals had a bigger payroll then the Mets, Mr. Small Town America.