CC/Melee/Withdrawal

Tycho

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Close combat...

Can a unit attempt to withdraw from CC/melee (A11.21) in the first round of close combat?

Melee is listed as occurring if units from both sides survive the first attacks (A11.15).
In the giant sequence of play foldout, in step 8.15B the word melee is in italics, which implies to me that you'll need to survive the first round of CC before you can bug out.
Does that sound right?

Tycho

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, you are not in Melee until after the first round of CC attacks.

No withdrawal until then.

Rich

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Exception: if ambush in 1st round

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
nice thread,

so if attacked by a beserker and you survive U can withdraw?
If the Berserker enters on player turn one and there is no Melee in the Location, in that CCPh neither side may withdraw. If there are survivors, a Melee marker is placed, and in any CCPh afterward (player turn two and later), non-Berserk units may withdraw.

JR

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Can a pinned unit withdraw from CC/melee following a 2/12? A11.22 doesn't seem to prohibit it.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Can a pinned unit withdraw from CC/melee following a 2/12? A11.22 doesn't seem to prohibit it.
No.

Q&A:

A11.22
It seems to me that the literal reading of A11.22 says that a pinned unit may withdraw from CC if the opponent rolls a 12. Can
they? Or is the intent of A11.21 (and other related rules) that a PINNED unit can never withdraw from CC?
A. A pinned unit may never withdraw.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Start of second sentence of 11.22 "Provided it has not already been eliminated/capture/pinned, any infantry/Cavalry unit which rolls an Original 2 CC DR may withdraw...." I think A11.22 does explicitly prohibit it. I don't really understand why there was a Q&A for it. *edit -- ahhh a closer reading shows that the part I quoted applies to 2's, but the 12's are left unrestricted -- indeed imo a literal reading DOES support 12s allowing pinned withdrawal... ok. God the RB is full of these pitfalls... you have to read very strictly, except, as here, when you don't. (*ah, ok, A11.21 withdrawal must be to an "adjacent Location which is Accessible to that Unit under normal APh conditions" <--- that there is why 12's don't let pinned guys withdraw. Pinned guys can't advance under normal APh conditions)

** SECOND EDIT -- FOLLOW UP... So I just noticed this... is 11.21 saying that withdrawal places CX for 'difficult terrain' as an ordinary Advance does... or is it only a question of if the location is accessible (even as 'difficult terrain') it can be withdrawn to?

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
** SECOND EDIT -- FOLLOW UP... So I just noticed this... is 11.21 saying that withdrawal places CX for 'difficult terrain' as an ordinary Advance does... or is it only a question of if the location is accessible (even as 'difficult terrain') it can be withdrawn to?
If you Withdraw into a Location which would normally make you CX if you advanced into it, then you would become CX. Likewise, if you are already CX, you can't withdraw into such a Location.