I don't like cricket...

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Because that is it's name!

Seriously, it is not really known, but may derive from the Dutch word 'krick' which means stick, or similarly from the old English 'cricc' meaning staff.

Bill

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well done Poms! Some great bowling and solid batting. Boy, this is getting interesting. Come on Aussies, we can come back to 2-2 to make the last game a Cracker Jack!

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Why is it called cricket?
It's either Flemish, Dutch, or old English.

The earliest evidence of it being played is in the 16th Century but there are also suggestions that it may have been played as early as the 14th century in England.

The Ashes....which is a Test Series played between Australia and England every two years, at alternating venues has been played since 1882.

There have been 71 series in total.

And the score currently is 33 wins each. 5 drawn series.

England currently lead 2:1 in the current series with two matches left.

The team who hold the Ashes (currently Australia) must be beaten to lose them....a drawn series and the holders retain the Ashes.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Well done Poms! Some great bowling and solid batting. Boy, this is getting interesting. Come on Aussies, we can come back to 2-2 to make the last game a Cracker Jack!
It is.

We're inconsistent and without Jimmy Anderson for Trent Bridge which perhaps gives you an advantage. I can see a decider at the Oval. I might need some stronger medication for that one

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do they wear pajamas like baseball players? Probably smoking jackets.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Do they wear pajamas like baseball players? Probably smoking jackets.
White trousers and shirts with a white pullover. Some minor green embroidery if you're Oz, blue if England/Welsh

Limited advertising allowed. Umpire can send you off the field for too much advertising.

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Like a hot knife through warm, rancid butter.......
We need someone who can score runs, this is ridiculous!

Well done to the Pom bowlers, a fantastic effort. 8 for 15, who in the world gets 8 for 15, Broad was on fire!

Last edited:

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Do you think they were told to make sure the game did not finish on the second day? They look like two different teams today.

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Got my hopes up, only to be dashed by another epic mid order collapse. What an unimpressive performance by our team.

As some wag put on face book, selling Australian team cricket bats, hardly used.....

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Got my hopes up, only to be dashed by another epic mid order collapse. What an unimpressive performance by our team.

As some wag put on face book, selling Australian team cricket bats, hardly used.....
Shocked by it all to be honest.

Totally, never in a million years, expected it.

Got the train to go on the Real Ale Trail last Thursday...a couple of us lads had an eye on the score and the whole packed railway carriage was absolutely buzzing and humming by it.....there were 9 down by the time we reached Dewbury from Manchester.. Crazy, mental.

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I think they must have swapped hats! The Poms are playing like Aussies and the Aussies are playing like Poms!

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I think they must have swapped hats! The Poms are playing like Aussies and the Aussies are playing like Poms!
I'm convinced twenty years from now cricket will talk of the great match fixing scandal of the 2015 Ashes.

Really. Some of the shot selection is worse than atrocious. And actually quite irritating. Players playing large expansive hooks to a slowish ball at head height when trying to save a Test Match. It's not on. There's something very fishy.

If you're in any doubt, I'm quite serious. The whole series has been an utter shambles from both sides perspectives frankly. ANY other reasonable Test side would take either of these teams to the cleaners.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Another one nearly....Bairstow swinging shoulder high at a ball 3 foot wide of his stumps.

Insane...just completely insane.

I could stay in longer than most of these batsmen just by sitting in the fking clubhouse with a pint

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
As an Ashes series, it has certainly lacked something. Five tests, all one sided, although two were one sided for one team and three for the other. It has done some damage to the brand I think.