Index to Overlay abbreviations & source of the overlay?

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Hi ??
RR (Rivers to the Reich maybe?)

There's gotta be an official abbreviation for the source of every overlay. And they need to be in the RB Index.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The explanation of the abbreviation on the Overlays is already in the Index.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
What, no overlays have been published since the MMP RB was published? Really ?
The question would if any new types have been published - the River one from AoO is the only new type, IIRC, and I do not remember it it actually has a ID on the back.

As the what modules each overlay came, I think a google search can find that for you.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Hi ??
RR (Rivers to the Reich maybe?)

There's gotta be an official abbreviation for the source of every overlay. And they need to be in the RB Index.
Go to the Texas ASL site>downloads>ASL overlay list

RR=railroad, OG=open ground, etc

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
The question would if any new types have been published - the River one from AoO is the only new type, IIRC, and I do not remember it it actually has a ID on the back.

As the what modules each overlay came, I think a google search can find that for you.
No, question is where they come from. An index document is much easier than having to search the net.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. Needs to be updated, though, since more have been published since.
Rock - maybe this is more update? Doesn't include Rising Sun but same overlays as in CoB/GH
http://www.advancedsquadleader.net/index.php?title=Category:Overlays

I have a 2012 armory with the list but don't know where I got it and its in .xlsx - something you stated was unusable for you in another thread. MMP is working on an overlay bundle that should be out in the next year or two so you will not need the list.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Rock - maybe this is more update? Doesn't include Rising Sun but same overlays as in CoB/GH
http://www.advancedsquadleader.net/index.php?title=Category:Overlays

I have a 2012 armory with the list but don't know where I got it and its in .xlsx - something you stated was unusable for you in another thread. MMP is working on an overlay bundle that should be out in the next year or two so you will not need the list.
Also useful; different data than the one at Texas-ASL.

I can open xlsx in OpenOffice or LibreOffice but the formatting can be messed up weirdly.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
There is a much simpler "solution". If you have the containing module, then you have the overlay and can play the scenario, if you don't then you can't.

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a much simpler "solution". If you have the containing module, then you have the overlay and can play the scenario, if you don't then you can't.
However, modules sometimes assume that you have all earlier modules and therefore have all previous overlays. And TPPs use overlays. So, I'm looking forward to the overlay pack.

Last edited:

dspurlock

ASL Layout Junkie
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
However, modules sometimes assume that you have all earlier modules and therefore have all previous overlays. And TPPs use overlays. So, I'm looking forward to the overlay pack.
Quite, quite true.

I was more thinking about the indexing & source end of things. If you can't get your hands on some core modules, then I would imagine that their contained overlays might be the least of your problems. While I occasionally wonder something like "I have 10 T-34 m43, where did the extra 4 come from, should I have 12?", in that case it would be CoB and no, 10 is the correct number, but overlays are just a question of "Do I have them or not?".

When designing either for eventual publication or DYO, then the number of a unit type available might be a constraint, however I don't remember any scenario with using more than a single copy of any individual overlay. Some of us bought multiple copies of modules, especially in the late-'80s and '90s when there was little else ASL to spend on, so what we have will be different to what someone with 1 of each module would have. Our extra overlays, given their sparse use, most likely remain uncut.

I could tell you how many Soviet (and likely German, French, Italian, Japanese, Axis & Allied Minor) vehicles that the 1 of each module player should have, but I have mentally lost track of US and British, especially Sherman sub-types, because of the bits and pieces in places like OVHS, Elst, etc, etc.

Counters are "How many do I have?", overlays, maps, rules are a case of "Do I have it Yes or No".