Super Bowl XLIX

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
What a crushing way to lose a game. Especially after that incredible reception.

Absolutely abysmal play calling on the last play. I'm sure glad I'm not a fan of either of these teams...:crosseye:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I was voting for the blimp. Or a power outage. Anything. -- jim

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Horrible throw too. I doubt Wilson will get blamed. He's a god in Seattle. Someone else will take the fall for the worst pass in Super Bowl history.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very disappointed in Seattle's sportsmanship on the second to last play. Getting into a fight at the end. WTF? They should be embarrassed.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just can't enjoy sports the way I used to because of this stuff. It's o.k. when the players on the field screw up, thats what makes the game. But when the coaches, or worse yet the officials ruin the game...it's just too much.

The Lions had that ref PICK UP THE FLAG in our playoff game against the Cowboys. There're the "even up" penalties in hockey. The obvious ref manipulation of fouls in the NBA... they've even gone to jail for it! The manager pulling a pitcher who is lights out, and putting in a ham who blows the game. Over and over again until "professional sports" is no different than the WWE.

The nail in the coffin of sports for me was a few years ago when the first base umpire called an obvious out "safe", and ruined my Tigers pitcher Galaraga's PERFECT GAME on the last out of the ninth inning.

I don't like Seattle. I think that running back is an ass. But to have the potential accomplishment of his career messed up by a offensive coordinator on the sidelines?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Horrible throw too. I doubt Wilson will get blamed. He's a god in Seattle. Someone else will take the fall for the worst pass in Super Bowl history.
It was a timing throw, not a read; not much a quarterback can do about it. It was a bad, but not that bad, of a call. The real problem is that they had to burn two timeouts earlier unnecessarily (bad coaching), which put an element of time pressure that caused the bad play.

Brady got lucky; with two ugly interceptions we might have been talking about how he threw the game away, but instead he gets the MVP. He should send some candy to Pete.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Many years after being fired - Pete Carroll finally delivers a Super Bowl for New England.

It would have been horrendous for New England to lose ANOTHER game on an unreal catch like they did in Super Bowl 42. This exorcises the ghosts of Glendale, I suspect.

All in all - terrific Super Bowl.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Many years after being fired - Pete Carroll finally delivers a Super Bowl for New England.

It would have been horrendous for New England to lose ANOTHER game on an unreal catch like they did in Super Bowl 42. This exorcises the ghosts of Glendale, I suspect.

All in all - terrific Super Bowl.
I would have to agree. Not a big NFL guy, like Saturday football much more, but at least it was a game down to the end unlike the egg that Denver laid last year.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I'm sorry, but that call was horrendous. Their running back was tearing things up and you're telling me the coaches didn't have faith they could move the ball about 12" in three plays? Seriously? You have got to have more faith in your running game than that.

Rushing the ball from the 1' line is nice and safe and virtually a guaranteed victory. Passing when all the defenders are stacked in in the red zone...stupid.

Carroll, Seahawks Make ‘Worst Call In Super Bowl History’

CBS Sports said:
Seahawks make 'worst call in Super Bowl history.'

While the statement might sound hyperbolic, it might just be entirely accurate. The Seahawks’ bizarre decision to throw the ball from the one yard line and not hand off to Marshawn Lynch, one of the most physically imposing running backs in football, will certainly be scrutinized for a very, very long time. Thanks to the social media driven world we live in, the critics have already begun to opine on the matter.
Super Bowl wrap-up: What was Pete Carroll Thinking?

The Triangle said:
We’ll never understand it. I can explain some of the logic behind Seattle’s now infamous second-and-goal play call. I can show you why Russell Wilson threw the pass. I can point out why it might not have been quite as awful a decision as it seemed immediately afterward, when we judge such choices almost entirely based on their outcomes. I’ll even get to how Bill Belichick nearly screwed up the situation before being bailed out by his team’s fifth cornerback. I’ll do all that. You will probably never understand why the Seahawks just didn’t hand the ball to Marshawn Lynch in that situation and worry about trying anything else later. Truthfully, neither will I.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played iron Tides on Vassal the first 1/2 went and got my nieces car out of a snow drift the second 1/2. I got home in time to see the last 2 minutes. Laughed my ass off could have happened to a more deserving asshat than Carroll to lose that way.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think 90% of the USA would say that Belicheat was more deserving. However, deserve ain't got nothing to do with it.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's o.k. when the players on the field screw up, thats what makes the game. But when the coaches, or worse yet the officials ruin the game...it's just too much.
No professional sport is more coach driven than football. Dumb coaches ruin the game by making dumb moves, and great coaches win games by making great moves. Comparing something like that to officiating is a failure to understand football on the professional level.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is no longer sport but merely spectacle.
No professional "sport" is anything but spectacle. We used to know that, but the lines were blurred many years ago. Now we think exhibition season happens before regular season, when in fact they are all exhibition games.