PBP22 Morire in Belleza

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have two versions of PBP22 designed by Gordon McClelland. Both are copyright CH 1998.

Is there any definitive errata for this scenario.

The Cardboard Warriors site has this:
Scenario PBP22 ("Morire In Belleza") There should be 2x 8-0 SMC, not three, in the Yugoslavian OB. In the Balance (ABS) Y1 should be "Delete 5x ? counters'"(not eight).

But this does not address all of the discrepancies between the OBs of the versions below:
View attachment 48573
View attachment 48574

Have a look at the types and numbers of leaders, as well as the number of Infantry crews.

Failing a final verdict on errata, what (amended) version has been used most often in recent tournaments?

TIA

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I played the "Aussie 98 Pack" version last year [Edit: The one with 3 leaders and 3 crews and 6 Wire] and got pasted as the Italians.

As the scenario seems to originate from Paddington Bears and not CH, maybe the Paddington Bears publication should be considered the valid one.

Beneath the "Aussie 98 Pack" it says "Original Design by Gordon McClelland" (My emphasis). This could be interpreted in a way that the Design of McClelland may have been altered. However, it could be interpreted the exact opposite way, too. And if CH has something than it is a long-standing history of errors and errata in its publications, thus one is on thin ice with any interpretation.

I think, the Paddington Bears are still active and do have a website. Maybe worth inquiring there.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chris,
I've played the first version (with the six wire), although with errata limiting the yugo's to two 8-0. I think that's a very well balanced scenario.
Paul

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
At the New York State ASL Championship, we played this scenario with 2 8-0 leaders.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks guys. I recall Albany using this scenario, but for some reason I couldn't find a copy of what the amended version looked like.

I have this on the scenario list for CASLO this May.

Agree with the two 8-0s for the Yugos. It looks like a typo.

So "version A" it is, with one less 8-0 for the Yugos. (Chas Argent and I were supposed to play this version in the VASLeague a few years ago, but the slavedrivers at MMP took away all his free time. Or maybe it was that Cirillo guy with last minute changes to FB.) ;)

Good catch re the wire Paul. I was leaning toward version A and overlooked the discrepancy in wire counters.

As an aside, anyone know the design rationale behind the extra Yugo crew? Was it intended for the HMG, or as a spare for the arty pieces?

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
can't wait for CASLO

when do you think the scenario list will be available?

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
can't wait for CASLO

when do you think the scenario list will be available?
Hi Keith,

Not before the end of March, although the scenarios for rounds 3 (Jungle Gym), 4 (History Lesson [HASL]), and 5 (Oh Canada!) are pretty much a done deal. The scenarios is these rounds are from fairly recent publications (2013+).

Working on Round 2 (Minor League [Minors]) at the moment. We plan to play several of them 1 Feb, including PBP22.

The first round (Early Action [<41]) should be complete by mid March, but we still have to finalize the list for the Novice Mini.

Looking forward to crossing swords in Ottawa! :thumup:

P.S. Would have preferred to see this run over the Memorial Day weekend to make it easier for those south of the 49th, but then we don't expect many attendees from North Dakota this year. (Winnipeg occasionally has players attend from the Dakotas.)

That said, some may want to stay for the Victoria Day celebrations on Monday.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hi Keith,

Not before the end of March, although the scenarios for rounds 3 (Jungle Gym), 4 (History Lesson [HASL]), and 5 (Oh Canada!) are pretty much a done deal. The scenarios is these rounds are from fairly recent publications (2013+).

Working on Round 2 (Minor League [Minors]) at the moment. We plan to play several of them 1 Feb, including PBP22.

The first round (Early Action [<41]) should be complete by mid March, but we still have to finalize the list for the Novice Mini.

Looking forward to crossing swords in Ottawa! :thumup:

P.S. Would have preferred to see this run over the Memorial Day weekend to make it easier for those south of the 49th, but then we don't expect many attendees from North Dakota this year. (Winnipeg occasionally has players attend from the Dakotas.)

That said, some may want to stay for the Victoria Day celebrations on Monday.
sounds good. i can't take another day (monday) off but we will pay our respects at the War Memorial before leaving sunday. be sure to save me a Suomi battledice set

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
sounds good. i can't take another day (monday) off but we will pay our respects at the War Memorial before leaving sunday.
This is exactly why I would have preferred the Memorial Day weekend.

I remember Trezza taking a walk up to the Memoirial between rounds on Saturday. A lot has changed since then, but you can still get close to the Tomb.

be sure to save me a Suomi battledice set
Will do.

I have a HP scenario in mind for the first round. If it works out, it will be one of two, early-start scenarios for the round. Regardless, there will be a scenario from HP in the first round, possibly "11th Company Counterattack," although I may have another candidate for this time slot. I have played most of the scenarios in HP. But I want to look closely at one scenario that I have not played before I make a final decision.

See you in May!

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chris,
I've played the first version (with the six wire), although with errata limiting the yugo's to two 8-0. I think that's a very well balanced scenario.
Paul
I have played this version with two 8-0s and six Wire counters and agree with Paul .

Rich