So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From J3 - ASL Scenario J61 In The Bag. Americans overwhelmed the Germans at the end with superior numbers, their OBA playing a big part. Very fun scenario. So glad I was able to get a chance to play it. Lots of thought into the American plan of attack.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Best Think Again ASL AP93 Interesting scenario. Both sides suffer from the open ground- board 69. Good German set up and a, fight and fall back defense kept this interesting. There was little they could do against the KVs, immo'ing one. The Soviets have to keep moving and allow for the KVs to stall. The Germans held firm on the east side, but I broke through in the west, getting enough VP across the road. Recomended.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Bozsoki Relay SP137 Much talk about this one being good. And it is. The Soviets are surrounded in a grey/green sea. But, the Shermans outclass the Zrinyis, and the Ruski infantry can set up in depth. The Hungarians came down the south board edge. The Zrinyis could not generate any somke, (One or two the whole game, and after three had been killed off by the Shermans- after they tried for smoke to blind them.) The attack still exited 11 EVP. The Soviets moved up to be able to fire on the escape route, and the panzerfaust shower started. But it wasn't enough. Soviet victory. Good scenario.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
FrF 74 Out of their element
German win - my Soviet opponent conceded on turn 5.
The Soviets did have some terrible DRs on the defense and on MCs.
They had their INF Gun well placed on the south of the hill, so they could spit smoke to cover their reinforcements - which would have otherwise been mowed down by my Pioneers.
I had two nice HoB results, creating both times a Fanatic HS and a hero.
My heroes did a nice job slipping around the enemy defense.
The two sIG38(t)Ms were more usefull at moving than at firing - quite like halftracks actually (and their 0-2 AF don't make them much better).
One managed to roll over the INF Gun - freezing it (the sIG was BU) and the DFF was at +8 DRM, so the Gun had to wait until DFPh to fire (and missed).
Another did manage to move towards the north reinf entry : with a B-# it malf'ed rolling a 9, then repaired the Gun and moved towards the rubble to threat the northern reinforcements.
I did play quite agressively - Pioneers are not to be used with too much timidity - but I was ready to adapt in case of really nasty DFF.
I made swarms of prisoners.

All in all, a nice scenario.
Of course, its tourney size makes it more vulnerable to (un)lucky DRs, but that is to be expected.
Playing with sIGs is always fun.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played AP83 Thai Hot a quite original scenario depicting a Japanese Seaborne Assault against Thai defenders. It was the first time I used Seaborne assault rules and it probably showed. I organised two landing waves. While the first one beached without casualties on turn 1, the Thai used their turn 1 to advance their MMG on the beach and lay down a fire lane on turn 2. The Jap mortars landing on the first wave were supposed to lay down smoke, but it began to rain so smoke was NA. The second wave beached and was welcomed by the MMG that rolled so low that they incurred severe losses including the 10-1 that found it wise to roll 11 on a 1 MC. The first wavers pushed nevertheless energetically and one 447 manage to secure a spot adjacent to the entry hex of turn 2 Thai reinforcements. Alas the rain intensified and only one Gun was destroyed, the rest of the reinforcements went unharmed to link up with initial defenders. Together they formed a solid defensive block. i did not lose heart and pushed for the VC areas. But CCs were not as effective as I would have liked to so I finally reached the 12 CVP cap which made victory very difficult. I continued, almost reached three VC points but the fourth one was clearly out of reach for my depleted forces. I probably lost the game by handling poorly the initial landing phase. Yet a fun scenario that offers a lot for a relatively small format (in comparison with other seaborne assault scenarios).

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
J34- "Men Of The Mountains".....Played this one tonight, with my Partisans getting the win by destroying the Italian Gun in the bottom of the 6th. Very fun playing with all sorts of excitement...berserk Italian conscripts, generated Partisan Hero, placing a DC on a Melee with C-4 for all (!). Felt my opponent may have set his (VC) Gun a little too far forward, but he really made me fight for it regardless. Another great evening of ASL!

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J34- "Men Of The Mountains".....Played this one tonight, with my Partisans getting the win by destroying the Italian Gun in the bottom of the 6th. Very fun playing with all sorts of excitement...berserk Italian conscripts, generated Partisan Hero, placing a DC on a Melee with C-4 for all (!). Felt my opponent may have set his (VC) Gun a little too far forward, but he really made me fight for it regardless. Another great evening of ASL!
I too had a great time playing this scenario a few months ago. My Italians won in the game, but it came down to the final CC with an Italian squad surviving the CC in the hex with the Gun. The game included 2 occasions where 2 Partisan squads went berserk. In the first occasion it benefited the Partisans killing an Italian 8-1, squad and LMG. The second berserk group were mowed down trying to cross the street to get to the church. The Italian AFV also made a successful overrun. I agree...a fun scenario.

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Earlier this week I completed ASL 131, The Penetration of Rostov. I enjoyed the scenario with my German opponent winning in Turn 10 of 11. My Russians fell back the length of the board (#1), but were unable to hold any one position for more than one turn. When the AFV came on in Turn 8, the German Juggernaut could not be stopped. The last Russian squad in the last Multi-story building on the board went berserk in the German part of 10 and in the Russian 10 he charged into the ADJACENT Germans facing a 36FP +1 and then a SFF of 16 +1 suffering reduction with each shot, securing the German victory. I enjoyed the scenario and would recommend it.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
T2 The Puma Prowls

Actually, I have not played it yet but will be in the near future to give some AFV training.

As this one is available as a free download from the MMP website, I guess there is no harm done to make a VASL file (created with VASL v6.1) available for download at the ASL Scenario Archive as a service especially for AFV newbies to try out:

http://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/scenario.php?id=56519

The .vsav can be found at the bottom of that page under "User Files". Another one is available for T1 "Gavin Take" if you search for it in the Archive.

Here is an image:

View attachment 48038

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well, have decided to lay this little beauty out on the gaming table to motivate myself to get the maps done for the next project

The whole map and ASL table (in my small back room)

So between tweaking maps and Finishing off the 'Tennis Racket' for Stalingrad this will be played over the next few weeks.

Cheers

Perry

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, have decided to lay this little beauty out on the gaming table to motivate myself to get the maps done for the next project

The whole map and ASL table (in my small back room)

So between tweaking maps and Finishing off the 'Tennis Racket' for Stalingrad this will be played over the next few weeks.

Cheers

Perry
Its a hoot to play.. You'll have to make some acquired counters..

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bruno L'Archeveque and I finished FB2 THE DEVIL'S FREE TO HAVE A TRY. I used an up front Axis defense, with the MMG and ordnance in the rear heights. It slowed down and attritted the Russians enough that they could not achieve the VC. I think I was lucky with the Ammo Shortage. One MMG out, several squads replaced. The 81 malfed once, but came back.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Just finished TM1 of the Purple Heart Draw CG. The Germans lost 9 CVP and the Americans 16 CVP, including one tank. OBA is a poor choice for the Germans on the first TM (bad choice by me) but it's been retained for the second and will soon bring a rain of death down on the Americans (are you reading this Dale?). The US controls both sides of the town square and some bocage but not a lot else.

Good fun so far but if you already have high blood pressure take the Americans.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What did you make yours out of? My brother made us some out of various colors of construction paper, worked very well..
The backing of old hard backed books, got printer to do colour the printing, then cut out and there you go.

Cheers

perry

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First Clash in Tunisia DftB 12 2 board 25s and you have a nice little valley with a small village. All three Pz4 were KOed in the first turn. Even more galling that 2 were taken out frontally by 2pdrs. (One 25pdr and the Humber A/C died in the barrage.) But, enter the little Semovente that could. It took out a 25 Pdr, a 51mm Mtr, a Daimler, a Mtr Carrier and a squad. It finally exploded after being hit- finally, by another 51mm Mtr. With that level of support, the Fallschirmjager were into the village. A HIP 4-5-7 retook one house. And as great as the SMV was, it had no SMOKE, forcing infantry smoke and some OG moves. The Axis took 3 of the 6 buildings. Great fun and it shows that fate can swing back and forth more than once, even in a medium/smallish scenario....

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played AP87 Empire's Fall, the flagship of AP9, boasting close to 60 squads-equivalent over the new maps 8a and 9b. The map layout forms a pretty nice battlefield. A large second-rate British force defends a long perimeter against which two separate Japanese forces poised to try to break through and reach VC areas. The Japanese force is of good quality (ELR4) but with not many SWs. The British are supposed by a group of 4 Bofors Guns. Fortunately for the Japanese, these powerful pieces are not HIP and setup close to each other. The British perimeter is reinforced by a large pool of mines and wire. Given that the number of fortifications allocated to the British can range between 8 and 30 fortifications as per SSR3, we decided to limit the variability by choosing a SSR3 DR=7, which limits the volatility of the number of fortifications within a more restricted range (13 to 25) while keeping a good degree of fog of war. Both sides have OBA; the weaker Japanese OBA gets an automatic first black chit. Good replayability of the scenario derives from the six possible VC conditions, which requires careful planning for both sides. The VC system, like other AP9 scenarios, allows for different scenario ends. The longer you take, the more VC you need.

In the scenario, one Japanese force managed to breach the perimeter and a small detachment seized one VC building on top of turn 3; but a British counterattack got a foothold back in the VC building and killed the defending Japanese squad, preventing the instant turn 3 win. Whoa! The other Japanese force went for a breakthrough of its own but ran into a minefield and incurred severe casualties. Furthermore the British redeployed quickly to the threatened sectors, making the advance slow and painful. A win following the turn 5-VC check was out of reach as quite a few Japanese units was stuck in wire in the back and CC dice were cool. The situation looked grim but on turns 6 and 7, dice went hot for the Japanese and with the help of energetic banzai charges, the British defence finally collapsed. At the end of turn 7, I had the 3 VPs to win for the turn 8 VC check and this time the odds to seize them back looked remote. Around 25 British squads had been slaughtered at the cost of 15 Japanese squads. A great scenario that delivers. The attacker needs careful planning and skilled play. Also suitable for a three-player scenario.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Played AP87 Empire's Fall, the flagship of AP9, boasting close to 60 squads-equivalent over the new maps 8a and 9b. The map layout forms a pretty nice battlefield. <snip> A great scenario that delivers. The attacker needs careful planning and skilled play. Also suitable for a three-player scenario.
Excellent appreciation of this scenario!

Worthy of rep, if only I were able to do so.

Last edited: