194th Infanterie-Regimenter/71st Infanterie-Divisionen SASL Campaign May 40 - May 1945

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
194th Infanterie-Regiment/71st Infanterie-Division SASL Campaign May 40 - Jan 43

I'm going to start submitting the historical SASL campaigns I'm working on for you guys to try out. Let me know what you think.

First up, the travails of the 194th IR/71st ID as it campaigns through France in '40 up until the point it was destroyed in Stalingrad (Jan '43). The campaign consists of 6 weekly missions (14 May - 20 Jun) and 20 semi-monthly missions (22 Jun - 19 Sep '41 and 12 May '42 - 30 Jan '43).

I'll be fleshing out the missions below as I play them out.

Campaign Special Rules

General:
Use 17. Campaign rules, EXC 17.21—24 are NA, as are 17.8-17.821 at times (see below).

Unit: 1. Kompanie/194th Infanterie-Regiment/71st Infanterie-Divisionen

Composition: [US# 52/36] Leader x3, 4-6-7 x11, 2-4-7 x2, 1-2-7 x6, HMG, MMG, LMG x4, 50mm MTR x3, ATR x3

ELR: 3/4 (see Missions)

Board Edge: Varies. See missions.

Miscellaneous
1. Any FRIENDLY MMC reinforcement rolls that generate SS/5-4-8 are rerolled.​

Here is the consolidated PDF for the links.

View attachment 48389

The Missions

Mission 1
Mission 2
Mission 3
Mission 4
Mission 5
Mission 6

After the war in France was over (France capitulated on the 22nd of June), the 194th IR and the 71st ID were put in garrisoning the West and conducting training. In April 1941, the Division was moved eastward to a staging area in preparation of Operation Barbossa. Prior to conducting the East Front missions, conduct Rest and Refit steps S17.82-.9 until the company is at full strength (i.e. US# 52).

Mission 7
Mission 8
Mission 9
Mission 10
Mission 11
Mission 12
Mission 13

After the fall of Kiev to German Forces, the 71st ID was sent to the west for rest and recuperation. Most of the rifle companies had lost over 50% of their men, and some could only muster 45 men. By mid-October the Division arrived in Belgium and northern France to act as the occupation force while their losses were replenished. Finally at full strength, and with the German ‘42 Summer offensive around the corner, the division was sent back to Army Group South, arriving in the vicinity of Kharkov in early April. The next couple of weeks was spent manoeuvring the Division around in various support roles, which saw the different Infantry Regiments being split up, when Marshal Timoshenko’s counter-offensive opened up with a massive artillery barrage on 12 May, 1942.

Before conducting Mission 14, conduct Rest and Refit steps S17.82-.9 until the company is at full strength (i.e. US# 52).

Mission 14
Mission 15
Mission 16
Mission 17
Mission 18
Mission 19
Mission 20
Mission 21
Mission 22
Missions 23-26 (VotG SASL Missions)

References
Die 71st Infantrie Divisionen
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/Infanterieregimenter/IR194.htm
http://www.axishistory.com/axis-nations/3790-71-infanterie-division
Kharkov 1942: The Wehrmacht Strikes Back By Robert Forczyk
German Order of Battle 1-290 Divisions

This campaign uses a generic company from the 194th Infantry Regiment (primarily the 1st Batallion, though some of the actions are fought by the other two Batallions).

Post-Stalingrad Campaign (Sept 1943 - May 1945)
Campaign Part II

Attachments

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Re: 194th Infanterie-Regimenter/71st Infanterie-Divisionen SASL Campaign May 40 - Jan

I have that book in German.

If you could specify for what exactly you are looking, I might be of help.

von Marwitz

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: 194th Infanterie-Regimenter/71st Infanterie-Divisionen SASL Campaign May 40 - Jan

Everything :D

Actually, if I could get the details of the 1st battalion/194th in those places/campaigns I listed that would be great. Names of the CO, company comd, etc.

Most of the places I used were associated with the 71st ID and not necessarily one of the infantry regiments (along with any other war diary-type information (weather, times, etc)) and so its hard to link actual combats with the 1st Bn. For example, during the Battle of Kharkov, the 194th was seconded to the 44th ID during the russian counter offensive, but I can't find any other details.

Does the book go into that level of detail?

EDIT.

Just ordered the book :clap: ...should be here in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Everything :D

Actually, if I could get the details of the 1st battalion/194th in those places/campaigns I listed that would be great. Names of the CO, company comd, etc.

Most of the places I used were associated with the 71st ID and not necessarily one of the infantry regiments (along with any other war diary-type information (weather, times, etc)) and so its hard to link actual combats with the 1st Bn. For example, during the Battle of Kharkov, the 194th was seconded to the 44th ID during the russian counter offensive, but I can't find any other details.

Does the book go into that level of detail?
Well, it has 480 pages. So it is quite detailed. But it does not specifically focus on a particular Bataillon of a specific Regiment. To filter out all the information relating to I./194 and translate that into English would be a lot of work and, I am afraid to say, beyond the scope of what I can offer.

The Battle of Charkov is covered with 17 pages (pp. 171-188). Indeed there is not much reference to I./194 as it was indeed put under the command of 44. Infanterie-Division, where Infanterie-Regiment 194 relieved Infanterie-Regiment 131.

What can be said after a cursory glance, that if references to a particular I.R. is made, the smallest scope of unit beneath is usually a Bataillon and maybe some other smaller supporting units attached for a particular objective. This might be a little too large for the usual ASL scenario, meaning providing too little detail for the typical company sized engagements. There are numerous battles described on a smaller scale, but finding these for particular units on the Bataillon level or below is tedious.

I hope, this could at least give you some more insight of what to expect regarding this source in general. However, it has to be noted, that the book in question is one of the more interesting and detailed Division histories that I have read.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Thanks anyways.

I think I have the general idea of the regiments in the 71st and for the purposes of the game that should be sufficient for a quasi-historical SASL campaign game. Its comparable to another SASL Campaign I'll post shortly (on the RCR in Italy)...it's hard to filter out a 'company' from the battalion and determine exactly what they did and when.

If nothing else the book will be an excuse to practice German :) which I haven't spoken since I was 5 :)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

As I said: If you have a particular action, I can see what I can find on that and browse those 20 pages. But doing the whole thing is somewhat massive.

Btw, that website (http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de) has a forum attached: http://www.forum-der-wehrmacht.de/
Of course, that's in German. But if you manage to sign up, I guess it would be possible to post English queries and see what happens. Some of the guys there seem to know even the most obscure stuff.

All the best,
von Marwitz

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

On 14 May 40, the 71st was used to secure the north bank of the Chiers River, from which looking at google maps (based off their starting point at 'Vanir, west of Arlon), would indicate securing the area north of the river to secure it in preparation for a subsequent river crossing (the allies had blown the bridges). Any indication of skirmishes or minor battles that may have been fought over the course of the day?

The links indicate that the 71st put combat patrols over the river on the following day. Again any enemy contact or was it just minimal?

Finally, according to the Stackpole book on German OOB, typical infantry divisions had vehicles/horses. Did the 71st?

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

You can buy the book on Amazon.

Was the 71st from Bavaria?

Rich

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Books on the way...course I can't read German, but that shouldn't slow me down too much.

The 71st was from Lower Saxony.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #1

Mission 1: Clearing the Way. Blagny, Belgium. 14 May 1940

Four days after the start of the Blitzkrieg, the 194th IR of the 71st ID were used to occupy the north bank of the Chiers River in anticipation of a crossing the next day by the 191st IR. Early that morning, while the 191st rested, the 194th marched from its staging area and proceeded to secure the area.

Type: Recon (3)
Mapboard Selection: as per Mission card
Weather: EC are Moderate with No Wind at start.
FRIENDLY: I./194th IR (ELR 3). FBE East.
ENEMY: French (ELR 3). EBE West.

Misc:
1. MSR 2 & 3 are NA.
2. For Mission End replace the last sentence with “There is a -1drm per board activated using Table A8e.”
3. Any rolls on A1 that produce an AFV or a Gun are rerolled. Subsequent rolls on F2 add +2.
4. EN RE’s that result in reinforcements are ignored.
5. At Mission End, steps S17.7 – 17.74 and S17.8 – 17.821 are NA.​

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

So for mission two I'm running into discrepancies and von Marwitz I'm hoping you can help me out (I don't have my Die 71. book yet).

According to this link, the 194th was conducting combat patrols across the Chier River on 15 May, and on 17 May it occupied Fromy, Margut and Moiry.

According to the Osprey book Maginot Line 1940, on 16 May, IR 194 conducted a diversion east of La Ferte around the town of Margut, while the 71st flanked around the northwest edge of the Maginot Line.

In order to conduct the combat patrols over the river (which is the premise I'm using for the River Assault mission (#2)) they would have to be ahead of where they created the diversion. Either that, or farther to the west (from where the remnants of the 71st conducted their attack) and then circling back to conduct the diversion.

von Marwitz, if possible, could you clarify this for me please.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

My (unprofessional) translation pp. 36..

1. Attack across the Chiers on 15 May 1940

After a one hour artillery preparation (fire) of the entire artillery of VII. Armee Korps 36th and 68th Dvisions start the attack from the

line Douzy-Carignan across the Chiers. As a consequence of the German armored car breakthrough (Group Kleist) at Sedan on 14 May, the French

have vacated the Chiers-bow during the night from 14th to 15th of May and retreated behind the very strong Maas-Chiers blocking postition

north of Inor and La Ferté. In a dynamic advance 36th and 68th divisions reach their day's objective after a mere two hours without

substantial enemy restistance: The commanding heights south of Vaux-les-Mouzon.

According to Korps orders, 71th Division has to hold with the bulk of its forces in front of the Maginot-Line and to furthermore support the

attack of the division neighboring on the right with all division artillery assets as well as to mount a feint attack at Blagny to create the

impression of a stronger attack across the Chiers. The Division creates a bridgehead at Blagny with engineers and elements of Infanterie

Regiment 191, which is immediately expanded by I. Bataillon/Infanterie Regiment 191 upon orders of the division commander who was present in

the area...

After the obvious quick success the division commander drives forward to the Chiers and meets the commander in chief of the 16. Army, General

Busch, between Carignan and Sachy asking after a short orientation about the situation for freedom of movement for the 71. Division across

the Chiers. The commander in chief agrees...

The commander IR 191 receives orders to cross the Chiers with the bulk of his forces and with support of the divisional artillery to attack

towards Malandry and Villy. Elements of Engineer Bataillon 171 (Commander: Captain Krumsiek) are tasked with the rapid construction of a

pontoon bridge at Blagny. Under the dangerous artillery fire by the fortifications of Montlibert, IR 191 reinforced with engineers breaks

forward towards Sailly and captures the town which was only weakly held by the enemy... In an abandoned French position close to Sailly, the

engineers can recover valuable classified material, that allows deep insights into the defensive dispositions of the enemy in the sector of

Montmédy, especially Fort 505. Furthermore, two ATGs and a radio are captured...

A short Korps order at 1200h orders the pursuit of the beaten enemy to the Line Puilly sur Meuse-Margut. 71th Division is granted freedom of

movement for the advance against the Chiers-bow at la Ferté and Olizy.

After hasty preparation during the afternoon of this day, IR 191 attacks with I. Bataillon on the right, III. Bataillon on the left out of

the line Sailly-Blagny towards a southern direction. Despite strong enemy artillery attacks and infantry defence out of the wooded areas

northeast of Malandry, Villy and of the still strongly enemy-held edge of the forest north and south of Malandry the attack gains ground by

skillful usage of the ground. By audacious advance by officers and men the baptism of fire is mastered. Divisional artillery is successful in

its lively actions creating favorable conditions time and again for bringing forward the attack. The enemy held woods northeast of Malandry

is overwhelmed and the local resistance in the Ferme Blanchampange and the edges of the woods north of Malandry cleared. In the evening of

this day I. Bataillon / IR 191 under the leadership of Major Kranke firmly hold the woods around Point 219 north of Malandry and Ferme

Blanchampagne. III. Bataillon / IR 191 is hanging back a bit and is in the middle between Blagny and Villy. An enemy counter attack from Hill 311 against the I. Bataillon is successfully beaten back in the afternoon.

The commander of IR 194, Colonel Schmidt, and commander of IR 211, Colonel Altvater-Mackensen are ordered by division to offensively scout with strong patrols (Stosstrupps) towards Margut and Signy Montlibert, accompanied and supported by artillery liaison commands and forward artillery observers to determine the strength and armament of the Maginot-Line there. This offensive reconnaissance reveals a strong and completely intact defensive position of the enemy in the fortification belt around Montlibert. Divison orders further recon with the objective of taking prisoners.

The Heavy 21cm Mörser Abteilung 717 was brought up and attached to the division for action east of Mogues against Fort 505.

As a reaction to a tank-alert by Korps at 1900h, Panzer-Jäger Abteilung 171 (commander: Lieutenant Colonel Meyer) is brought forward and put on station at Blagny on both sides of the Chiers. The infantry regiments immediately take defensive precautions. Schwerpunkt of the defence is set at the right of the divsional sector.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

2. Resuming the attack on 16 May 1940

During the night the entire sector of the division lies under artillery harassing fire. Elements of IR 191 are particulary affected. The attack of IR 191 towards Olizy and Villy is resumed after stronger artillery preparation during the afternoon of 16 May. I. Bataillon strikes past Malandry in the east, to secure the woods around Point 226. There the enemy resists tenaciously. I. Bataillon is his by flanking artillery fire from the woods south of Malandry and from Villy with Fort 505. The enemy is able to frontally observe the entire sector of I. Bataillon from Hill 311 and can thus direct its observed artillery fire very effectively. The woods around Point 226 is full of MGs, mortars and Infantry Guns of the opponent. After renewed artillery preparation and usage of all heavy weapons of IR 191, penetration of the woods around Point 226 is archieved during the evening and the viciously defending enemy is battered down in close combat.

The enemy took heavy casualties cuased by the German artillery and the attack of I. Bataillon / IR 191. The weaponry of an entire battalion was captured along with one officer and 78 ranks. After 2100h the woods receives enemy artillery fire that goes on for almost the entire night.

III. Bataillon / IR 191 under leadership of Major Zenker until late evening conquered the staging positions for the attack on Villy for the coming day and took the Ferme de Prêle. The enemy artillery fire from the forts of Montlibert and of Fort 505 with its very agile fast firing cannons caused considerable casualties to the battalion. Nevertheless, the attack on Villy, which is defended with field entrenchments and bunkers is prepared for the next day...

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Ok, thanks. I'm getting a clearer picture of what happened....and I so wanted to do a river assault for the 194th :)

looks like the 194th was the reserve in the division and given the task of securing/creating a diversion the Margut area while the lead IR (191st) carried the attack towards the Fort 505 (Fort la Ferte).

Thanks von Marwitz.

EDIT.

Oops, didn't see your second post.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

3. Attack of 17 May 1940 on Hill 311

Due to the offensive reconnaissance by 9. Kompanie / IR 194 on the previous day against the towns of Fromy, Margut and Moiry, which were discovered to be free of the enemy, the divisional commander orders to bring forward strong security forces of IR 194 into these towns. Especially Margut needs to be established as a base against possible advances by the enemy out of the Maginot-Line. An attack on the fort east of Margut is beaten back by strong opposition by the enemy. On the left of the division sector Group Altvater-Mackensen prepares a stronger push against Fort 395 east of Montlibert to bring in some captives and to feint German offensive plans in this sector.

III. Bataillon / IR 191 attacks Villy in the morning after a one hour artillery preparation. Despite skillful use of the ground and very effective support by heavy infantry weapons and artillery, progress is very slow and the attack bogs down at Villy in front of the well camouflaged field fortifications that are deftly adapted to the terrain. Four concrete pillboxes hidden in the orchards are able to check with their overlapping fields of fire repeated attacks by III. Bataillon the entire day. The attempt to pass Villy with assault troops fails as well, because Fort 595 commands the terrain around Villy with its quick firing guns and MGs. For that reason, it is not possible any more to capture Villy on 17 May.

III. Bataillon / IR 211 is alerted in the night to 17 May by division and is sent from the area south of Pin to Mount Tilleul to IR 191 and attached. At 1300 the commander of IR 191 gives orders on behalf of divison to III. Bataillon / IR 191 to attack at once, reach the woods at Point 226 and continue after a short artillery preparation to engage Hill 311 and to capture it. In the meadows between Blagny-Sailly the bataillon advances well spread out at 1500h vs the patch of woods at Point 226. The batallion gets caught in strong artillery fire and during further advance receives flanking fire my MG from Malandry and Villy which causes it to be become dawn out to take heavy casualties. The far forward left flank company reaches the woods at Point 226 around 1600h and without waiting for the other companies that hang back continues the attack against the east slope of Hill 311. Well aimed defensive fire nips this attack in the bud as soon as the company emerges from the woods. The other companies need to come up first. The divisional commander which came up to the edge of the woods orders the batallion commander, Major Haas, the quick and immediate commitment of his entire battalion to secure the height on this same day. Only after darkness the attack of the battalion in its entirety can commence. In a quick charge the base of the hill is reached and a number of bunkers cleared by grenades and points of resistance eliminated. Around 2230h the front elements of the battalion that quickly rushed forward under the leadership of some sharp officers conquer the height...

After the assault of the battalion, concentric blocking artillery fire begins which mainly lies on the northern edge of Hill 311. This fire continues without interruption until the morning. A counterattack out of Olizy at 0400h is successfully beaten back by the battalion, which went into a defensive stance with three companies up front. The height remains firmly in German hands despite still strong artillery fire from around Montlibert and flanking MG fire from Hill 342 hits the battalion. During the early morning, 2. Kompanie / IR 191 in coorporation with elements of III. Bataillon / IR 211 takes a bunkered artillery position on the northeast slope of Hill 311 in combat.

With the capture of Hill 311 the division forced the first penetration into the Maginot-Line as the first division of the German western armies after preparation by taking the woods at Point 226.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

All in all the attacks across the Chiers and on the Maginot Line from 15 to 20 May 1940 cover around 25 pages. This includes several pages of photographs including panorama views from Fort 505 and a reasonably detailed two-page map. Some more detail on the company level is available for the action fo 17th may and further dates after that

Indeed, IR 194 does not have a prominent role in these actions with more falls to IR 191 and IR 211.

von Marwitz

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Thank you very much for this, I really appreciate it.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #2

Mission 2: Keeping the enemy eye occupied. Margut, France. 16 May 1940

To support the attack on La Ferté by the 191st IR, the 194th IR was tasked with staging a diversion to the east by attacking the towns of Fromy, Margut and Moiry. They were also supposed to secure the area to remove the possibility of the towns being used by the Maginot Line defenders as a base for counter attacks. The towns were unoccupied by the enemy, who had previously withdrawn west over the Cheirs River, but defences in the vicinity of the nearby Montlibert were still intact.

Type: Pockets (2)
Mapboard Selection: Board configuration A is used. Eastern board is rolled on A8d. Western board is a village (roll on A9 Village).
FRIENDLY: I./194th I.R. (ELR 3). FBE North.
ENEMY: France (ELR 3). EBE South.

Misc:
1. EXC to ENEMY AC#. AC# is a 2 (dr ≤ 4) or 3 (dr ≥ 5).
2. Boobytrap Level is NA.
3. EXC to Initial S? Placement. Number of Letter Chits to be drawn (as per 4.1e) is determined on Table A6g.
4. Any rolls on A1 that produce an AFV or a Gun are rerolled. Subsequent rolls on F2 add +2.
5. EN RE’s that result in reinforcements are ignored.
6. Conduct normal rest & refit after mission end.​

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Mission #3

Mission 3: “The green hell of Bois d’Inor.” Côté de Châtillon, France. 1 Jun 1940

At the beginning of June, the 71st I.D. took over part of the neighbouring 58th I.D. sector, including the towns of Vaux-lés-Mouzon , St. Hubert and Autréville-St. Lambert. The 194th (replaced on the north bank of the Chiers by the tired 191st after their assault on La Ferte) deployed between the Cote de Chatillon and the eastern edge of Bois d’Inor, to secure it and to expand the defensive line further. The French responded with increasing, harassing artillery fire forcing the 194th to construct defensive positions at night while parts of the 6th French Division (comprised of Senegalese and Foreign Legionnaire’s) attacked, using the forests as cover.

Type: Enemy Offensive (9)
Mapboard Selection: A8e for two easternmost boards. Westernmost board is rolled on A9 (Rural).
FRIENDLY: I./194th I.R. (ELR 3). FBE East.
ENEMY: France (ELR 3). EBE West.

Misc:
1. There is a -2 drm to ENEMY AC# determination.
2. Provided there is no EN FFE on board, at the start of each EN PFPh make DR. If a 31, 32 or 33 is rolled, conduct that EN RE. EXC each OBA Type is determined with a dr [1-3=70+, 4-5=80+, 6=120+] – all are of the same type for that RE. Each such Artillery Strike is removed after conducting its FFE2 attack.
3. There is no -1 drm on Table A1 for Advance Attitude, as well any rolls on A1 that produce an AFV or a Gun are rerolled.
4. MSR’s 2, 3 and 4 are NA. The FRIENDLY OB is allowed one Foxhole entrenchment per squad equivalent.
5. OPTIONAL: Conduct mission using Night Rules Chapter X20

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #4

Mission 4: Continuing the Advance. Saint lambert, Cervizy, France. 11 June 1940.

In the early hours of the morning of 11 June, combat patrols from I.R. 211 determine that the heights around hill 342 (near Bois d’Inor) are cleared of the enemy and the Division immediately orders an attack along the entire front of the 194th and 211th Infanteer-Regiment’s. The enemy reels back and weak resistance is met by the advancing infantry. At 1300 hours, an artillery observer close to the lead troops called in several fire missions, destroying an enemy battery dug in some 500 yards south of Martincourt-sur-Meuse, and the infantry continued their assault. Nearing Saint Lambert, Cervizy, enemy resistance stiffened and the 194th began their attack in the late afternoon.

Type: Take the Highway (5)
Mapboard Selection: A8d is used for all three mapboards.
FRIENDLY: I./194th I.R. (ELR 3). FBE West.
ENEMY: France (ELR 3). EBE East.

Misc: Nil.

Last edited: