+ Pak36R ATG Bunker
+ Pak38 ATG Bunker
+ German Backpack flamethrower

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Here's what the game Pack has.....
Are they calling this a "Game pack"? Seems like a Vehicle Pack. Initial thought is that this is a CMBN 'product' but mostly geared for the CW crowd. It will be interesting to see what is included. Formations and what limitations on AFV use/timeframes/etc. They should throw in some scenarios.

They should offer a package deal with some of the CW product. Basically I see Caen and Market Garden focus here. I wouldn't buy this for $29.00. $15-19 perhaps.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
12fwee4

Quote:

The easiest way to think of it is that the Vehicle Pack does not add any new nationalities or branches of service to the game. If you think about it there's no other way it can be. For example, the new Churchill variant. If you do not have CW or MG then the Vehicle Pack would have to include all British uniforms, voices, and UI artwork as well as the TO&E. Then the player would be able to do what? Play with a Churchill battalion and no other British units? That doesn't make much sense.

Of the two, Commonwealth is the more important Module to have in terms of utilizing the new vehicles. That way the new vehicles show up for British, Canadian, Polish, and Waffen SS units, as well as the Heer and US that come with the Base Game. Market Garden extends the timeframe and expands some of the vehicle options to other units.

Steve

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
Quote:

The easiest way to think of it is that the Vehicle Pack does not add any new nationalities or branches of service to the game. If you think about it there's no other way it can be. For example, the new Churchill variant. If you do not have CW or MG then the Vehicle Pack would have to include all British uniforms, voices, and UI artwork as well as the TO&E. Then the player would be able to do what? Play with a Churchill battalion and no other British units? That doesn't make much sense.

Of the two, Commonwealth is the more important Module to have in terms of utilizing the new vehicles. That way the new vehicles show up for British, Canadian, Polish, and Waffen SS units, as well as the Heer and US that come with the Base Game. Market Garden extends the timeframe and expands some of the vehicle options to other units.

Steve
Damn, I always do that after too many beers and a tough Eagles lost....go online and start posting as Steve. Busted.......again.
#moreelvislies

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Yet even more Elvis lies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by togi View Post
So will it be a pack + patch to enhance something except adding flame and some new vehicles?
No new functionality with the Vehicle Pack that won't also be available to anybody with Upgrade 3. As far as I can remember there's pretty much bug fixes only, including some improvements to some Quick Battle choices.

Steve

(Steve really clears things up doesn't he?)

Last edited:

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

No new functionality with the Vehicle Pack that won't also be available to anybody with Upgrade 3. As far as I can remember there's pretty much bug fixes only, including some improvements to some Quick Battle choices.

Steve

I can confirm, after having spent a large part of my free time this weekend, that this is true.

Steve

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I can confirm, after having spent a large part of my free time this weekend, that this is true.

Steve
It seems the Churchill ARVE can deploy a 'half-crew' to toss demo charges while the AFV is crewed by the rest of the crew. Isn't that a new functionality???

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quote Originally Posted by NUTTERNAME View Post

Steve

I can confirm, after having spent a large part of my free time this weekend, that this is true. :)

Steve

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seems the Churchill ARVE can deploy a 'half-crew' to toss demo charges while the AFV is crewed by the rest of the crew. Isn't that a new functionality???

Churchlll AVRE

One of the most unusual vehicles to see action in Combat Mission! The AVRE was used by Royal Engineer units to clear obstacles or fixed defenses. It's normal tank gun was replaced with a 290mm "Petard" mortar which could throw a 18kg (40lb) high explosive charge up to 80m. For other clearing tasks the AVRE could dismount a heavily armed 3 man Sapper team to destroy targets and clear minefields. Note that when purchasing the AVRE as an Individual Vehicle there is no Sapper team.
I had to wait until someone more official that me said something.

The Pack has been released.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I had to wait until someone more official that me said something.

The Pack has been released.
I assume the AVRE, when it is purchased in a formation, does have the sapper team inclusion AND functionality?

I just read that if you buy the vehicle pack, you are at the 3.10 level (which includes some bug fixes, etc. for some reason..?), and therefore can not mate successfully with 3.0 twinks. Can anyone confirm this? Why would a "Pack wag the Dog"?

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117354

Interesting discussion. I see that "The Future" is again holding answers to the present...

I don't see a CW+Pack bundle. I can't help but think that I am the only one that bought CMBN but not CMCW. $20 is a bit much for the pack. Considering the 2.0 Upgrade and 3.0 upgrade costs already needed for the 'family', I don't feel that this pack is a must-have or even a product that I might purchase down the road. I would probably spring for $45.00 for CW+pack. That would do it for me and this family.

The talk is that if one player has dropped the money for 'The Pack', then two players can HTH and play and share the product. But solo play is limited to a player that has bought the product. But that would be sometime in the future. And we know how that goes. why they would say this now, when the pack is first being released, is somewhat of a marketing mystery.

As far as patching CMBN 3.0...it seems there are not drastic changes. Can we assume that also means CMRT will also share this light patch-work? I really hope not. The more I play CMRT, the greater the problems.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I assume the AVRE, when it is purchased in a formation, does have the sapper team inclusion AND functionality?

I just read that if you buy the vehicle pack, you are at the 3.10 level (which includes some bug fixes, etc. for some reason..?), and therefore can not mate successfully with 3.0 twinks. Can anyone confirm this? Why would a "Pack wag the Dog"?
Yeah. The Sapped team is part of the formation but doesn't/can't ride in or on the tank.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I'll check it out. I haven't had a chance to use them in formations. I've only used them and individually purchased tanks. I was going by my memory of conversations during testing.....not personal experience. I'm gonna fire them up tonight! I do love shooting those things. :)

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just watched some of the video (without sound...I'm at me day job) . At 12 1/2 minutes I wasn't sure of the part that you meant. I did see at about 10 1/2 minutes there was some stuff involving the AVRE. I saw a bit when he was dismounting the 3 man crew. My understanding (and I am FAR from an expert) is that the AVRs were crewed with 6 men. 3 specifically to be used as Sappers plus the 3 man crew to operate vehicle. What I understand is that CM does not have the additional 3 men that ride with/in the vehicle and operate separately from the crew, which is what I thought you were referring to.

I'll probably hit the Googles after posting this. Because looking something up before posting is for suckers.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Googles didn't help a lot. Perhaps someone who really knows these things will chime in. The closest that I could find was a Wiki article:

Churchill AVRE (Armoured Vehicle Royal Engineers)

Churchill AVRE with fascine on tilt-forward cradle. This particular example is a post-WW2 AVRE on the MK VII chassis.
The Armoured Vehicle Royal Engineers was a Churchill III or IV equipped with the Petard, a 290 mm Spigot mortar, throwing the 40 lb (18 kg) "Flying dustbin" with its 28 pound high explosive warhead; a weapon designed for the quick levelling of fortifications, which was developed by MD1. The petard was reloaded by traversing the turret to the co-driver's hatch. The co-driver then breaks down open the petard barrel and pushes the petard round into the barrel and then closes it. The co-driver's hands are briefly exposed during the process. The AVRE was designed after the Canadian defeat at Dieppe, and could also be equipped with numerous other attachments, such as mine flails, fascine rollers, explosive placers etc. The crew of six were drawn from the Royal Engineers, except for the driver who came from the Royal Armoured Corps. One of the RE crew was a demolitions NCO sapper responsible for priming the "Flying dustbin" and who led the crew when they dismounted from the tank to place demolition charges ("Wade" charges). Post war Churchill AVREs were modified Churchill Mk VII armed with a breech loading low velocity 165mm demolition gun that fired a HESH round with about 40 lb of C4.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill_tank#Variants

The highlighted bit is what I had heard about a 6 man crew. In the movie you'll see there is a 3 man crew that dismounts. My understanding is that the formations include a 3 man Sapper team that represents the other 3 men in the crew but cannot interact with the vehicle like the crew can.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Old Today, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Something that was said a few pages back is worth repeating.

For us, it would take about 2 months to make and test a dozen scenarios for a Vehicle Pack. The reason is that there's always development problems that stall scenario development and scenario work that stalls testing (if you're working the Editor you're only testing a subset of the game).

By putting out a Vehicle Pack now we expose the new content to a LOT more people than our testing team. Give that group 2 months and the number of scenarios available will dwarf what we could have produced in the same time. And all those scenarios are free.

So for those of you who want to play hand crafted scenarios instead of QBs or self made scenarios... just wait a couple of months and you'll have what you need. Or get it now, have some fun with it, and then in a couple of months get scenarios made by others. No matter what, with the content in people's hands there will be scenarios ready to go even without any shipping with the Vehicle Pack itself.

To answer another question, we plan on releasing various Packs of the following types:

1. Vehicle Packs -> primarily vehicles only, though some other weapons too. No scenarios or campaigns.

2. Forces Packs -> primarily specialized or new national forces, though perhaps some weapons too. No scenarios or campaigns.

3. Battle Packs -> only battles and campaigns, probably with an emphasis to support Vehicle and Forces Packs since previous releases should have plenty of scenarios and campaigns already.

Pricing is very flexible. Smaller Packs cost less, larger ones cost more, others are inbetween.

Note that we are not planning on very small Packs. No firm rules on that, but a small Vehicle Pack might be 10+ vehicles/weapons, a medium one 15+, and a large one 20+ with prices of $10, $15, and $20 respectively.

Steve
Well, it all makes sense now. Horse in front of the cart. Pack in front of the mule. They don't have to release scenarios with a vehicle pack. 'Cause there will be freebees galore in a cupplamunts. But, wait, there could be a 'Battle Pack' for sale...focusing on the vehicle packs...uh, OK. Should I wait for that purchase or just use the freebees? Is this Marketing? Madness?

I am just puzzled how they actually test anything. Some testers claim they are very incubated from other elements of products. They even claim that within a small product like this 'large pack/vehicle-pack', they don't have the big picture.

How can there not be a 'bug fix list'? No one is asking for inside information at this point. They are selling a product, admittedly a minor add-on, that effects the larger 'family product'...and there is no list of what is fixed? Just a promise of a free patch later? Since the testers are insulated, they have said that they don't know. I find it especially curious that Steve, a self promoted 'Software Quality Professional', could release this product without stating what it 'fixes'. His remarks "I think I recall that it just fixes bugs and quick battle stuff" sort of states that he has no clue.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I just watched some of the video (without sound...I'm at me day job) . At 12 1/2 minutes I wasn't sure of the part that you meant. I did see at about 10 1/2 minutes there was some stuff involving the AVRE. I saw a bit when he was dismounting the 3 man crew. My understanding (and I am FAR from an expert) is that the AVRs were crewed with 6 men. 3 specifically to be used as Sappers plus the 3 man crew to operate vehicle. What I understand is that CM does not have the additional 3 men that ride with/in the vehicle and operate separately from the crew, which is what I thought you were referring to.

I'll probably hit the Googles after posting this. Because looking something up before posting is for suckers.
So, you are saying that you can't access the included manual for this 'pack'? Wouldn't the manual be the primary source for how this new AFV are FUNCTIONALLY used? It certainly appears from the video that the sappers are passengers within a tank and can be used outside the tank (they appear to have a sten, bren and a MG and demo charges) while the tank is still crewed by three other men.

The Crabs are also vehicles that add functionality. By this I mean they are introducing something new into the game. Namely, mine-clearing (And it would be great for CMRT Bagration battles etc.) and needed programming behavior. I can't help but think that this new functionality did not have an impact on other development. Namely the long awaited CMRT patch. To have the 'pack' be the bearer of the CMBN patch is another layer of oddness in product development. To not have a compiled list of bug fixes, etc. is further evidence of Quality slip.

It is a bit strange that the youtube-video seems to be the new 'release announcement'. But, it seems to raise more questions in certain cases. Does anyone think a sherman tank would not use AP against a bunker at the range shown in the German ATG bunker demonstration? Where exactly were US concrete bunkers used? Is there a date/time limitation on that? Hopefully, Soviet concrete bunkers will not have AAA guns inside. They will be especially impossible to destroy.

But, the lack of any scenario-effort has had it's backlash. Steve's defense is just another dis-regard for what people are even asking for. His comment "It would take two months to make 12 scenarios" just reveals his silly debating style. No one is asking for 12 scenarios. I would have suggested just two that focus on AFV with the 'hotness' factor. The two scenarios would, of course, have been from the tester's 'test-beds'. That is, the testers would test out the AFV on a designated map, taken from the much ballyhooed historical maps from Market Garden, thereby stream-lining the testing process, and at the same time creating a couple of scenarios that HELP SELL THE PRODUCT!

I would even go so far as saying that they should have created a small demo that features a Crocodile in a Market Garden setting. Why? BECAUSE THERE IS NO DEMO FOR MARKET GARDEN (or CMBN 3.x product)!!!!

(Jeesh, do I have to do everything around here?)