American Sniper

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not being funny.....but it doesn't take a BA Hons in Forensic Crime Science to have worked out that he dies at the end. It's a film drama. Wouldn't be much of a film drama if he passed away in a retirement home.

If you actually worked out exactly how he died at the end, and managed to implicate the gang, then I'll be impressed. I won't believe you either. I found it a very clever, and rather original, plot twist
Well Martin I did figure it out. It has been a few years and I can't remember exactly how much I figured out but I knew how it was going to end and who was going to get blamed. I thought that it was just the guy and not the whole gang but it has been a few years? It really was not that difficult. Like I said everyone else liked it, I didn't. So what?!? I like Whiskey Sours and you might like Rum & Coke. Again, so what.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Well Martin I did figure it out. It has been a few years and I can't remember exactly how much I figured out but I knew how it was going to end and who was going to get blamed. I thought that it was just the guy and not the whole gang but it has been a few years? It really was not that difficult. Like I said everyone else liked it, I didn't. So what?!? I like Whiskey Sours and you might like Rum & Coke. Again, so what.
Blimey....they wasted their time on The Usual Suspects if you were in the audience.

"IT'S THE GUY WITH THE LIMP"

I'm kidding...and you're right. Horses for courses.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Blimey....they wasted their time on The Usual Suspects if you were in the audience.

"IT'S THE GUY WITH THE LIMP"

I'm kidding...and you're right. Horses for courses.
The Usual Suspects was a great movie! I've watched it many times.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I am trying to remember if there was a CE film that I did think was a waste of my time. Not that I would regard many as the greatest ever, except maybe in a cult sense.

Of his Westerns, "The Outlaw Josie Wales" would be my top, I found Unforgiven just a bit too relentlessly dark so it gets pipped. Of his recent films, I think "Letters From Iwo Jima" to be the best of the that bunch. Maybe it's the relative novelty of the subject and viewpoint that gets my attention. Whether it accurately portrays the Japanese viewpoint as opposed to the their circumstances is another question, but I figure he did a very decent job. I cannot with hand on heart say it was better than "Flags...", but I did find LfIJ much more interesting, not that I did not enjoy FooF.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I am trying to remember if there was a CE film that I did think was a waste of my time. Not that I would regard many as the greatest ever, except maybe in a cult sense.

Of his Westerns, "The Outlaw Josie Wales" would be my top, I found Unforgiven just a bit too relentlessly dark so it gets pipped. Of his recent films, I think "Letters From Iwo Jima" to be the best of the that bunch. Maybe it's the relative novelty of the subject and viewpoint that gets my attention. Whether it accurately portrays the Japanese viewpoint as opposed to the their circumstances is another question, but I figure he did a very decent job. I cannot with hand on heart say it was better than "Flags...", but I did find LfIJ much more interesting, not that I did not enjoy FooF.
Brilliantly original idea I thought...two films of the same action from opposite perspectives.

Unless I'm confusing things.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Brilliantly original idea I thought...two films of the same action from opposite perspectives.

Unless I'm confusing things.
No, you got it right, the two were shot back to back as a pair. Definitely he gets an A+ for originality for doing both sides, yet not in the same film. I suppose that long exposure to post Vietnam films about broken or psychotic US veterans did blunt the impact of FooF compared to LfIJ for me. I will say that both are finely crafted films, just different emotional impacts.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Unforgiven & Mystic River were great movies.

Letters from Iwo & Flag of our Fathers were not that good. I really wanted them to be.

Gran Torino was so predictable. 30 minutes into the movie and I knew that he was going to die at the end. Sorry, not a good movie.

He has made a lot of great movies, just not lately. JMO
Why do you hate America, dirty Commie?!?! :angry: :flag:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why do you hate America, dirty Commie?!?! :angry: :flag:
Mystic River was terrible.....

The many scenes in Boston were shot in different neighborhoods, even though they tried to say they were in Hyde Park. The parade in the ending credits is in South Boston as they move down Telegraph Street and take a right turn onto Mercer Street.

Then the way Eastwood tried to involve the "Catholic faith" into the movie with the gold cross on the pedophile dressed in black was another terrible scene.

Letters fro Iwo Jima and Flags of Our Fathers I thought were better, with the Japanese side being explained in good details.

Yeah, Gran Torino sukk.... You knew he would be dead after the doctor visit.

Unforgiven? I need ot look that one up.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mystic River was terrible.....

The many scenes in Boston were shot in different neighborhoods, even though they tried to say they were in Hyde Park. The parade in the ending credits is in South Boston as they move down Telegraph Street and take a right turn onto Mercer Street.

Then the way Eastwood tried to involve the "Catholic faith" into the movie with the gold cross on the pedophile dressed in black was another terrible scene.

Letters fro Iwo Jima and Flags of Our Fathers I thought were better, with the Japanese side being explained in good details.

Yeah, Gran Torino sukk.... You knew he would be dead after the doctor visit.

Unforgiven? I need ot look that one up.
Definitely look it up Kevin, one of the BEST westerns ever made. Eastwood and Hackman are terrific. Hackman won an Oscar for his portrayal of the sadistic sheriff. Morgan Freeman also plays a great part in the film. If you don't like it, i'll refund your rental price..

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hackman won an Oscar for his portrayal of the sadistic sheriff.
The sheriff showed no indications of sadism in the film. If anything, Eastwood's character was the sadist (reformed).

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
The only one of Eatwoods' movies I liked was Gran Torino. I'm talking about the ones he directed. I am an original fan of the Dollars trilogy - way back when I was sitting on the carpet watching them before "Spaghetti Western" Hipsters ever existed!

I wonder about the authenticity of the movie's subject, but I really do like Bradley Cooper.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
The sheriff showed no indications of sadism in the film. If anything, Eastwood's character was the sadist (reformed).
Apart from beating Morgan Freeman's character to death i'd say you're right

:laugh:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Apart from beating Morgan Freeman's character to death i'd say you're right
Sadism indicates enjoyment taken from inflicting pain. Everything indicates that the sheriff was just doing what he thought was his job. That's one of the points of the movie.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sadism indicates enjoyment taken from inflicting pain. Everything indicates that the sheriff was just doing what he thought was his job. That's one of the points of the movie.
Thats not what I got from the movie when I watched the gunfighter played by Richard Harris get beat to a pulp. I thought the Hackman character was a sadistic prick who got what was coming to him by someone with enough balls to standup to his authority and power.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Josey Wales, Unforgiven - two classics. But are there any fans of Pale Rider here? (I'm one).

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
How does using a bullwhip fit in with your theory ??

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah Bill - I have to join the chorus here. its pretty clear that Little Bill is a sadist and a killer. And its equally clear that Munny is the same type of guy who happens to get the best of him - and they will end up in Hell together. Munny isn't to be admired as a hero - he is Unforgiven because his crimes are unforgivable - but in this case he avenges his friend.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Yeah Bill - I have to join the chorus here. its pretty clear that Little Bill is a sadist and a killer. And its equally clear that Munny is the same type of guy who happens to get the best of him - and they will end up in Hell together. Munny isn't to be admired as a hero - he is Unforgiven because his crimes are unforgivable - but in this case he avenges his friend.
Hmm...I see it differently. I see Munny as being on the road to redemption. But what a great film that it harbours such great debate

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He was VERY sadistic. Enjoyed beating English Bob and beat Morgan freeman to death with no shred of remorse. I would qualify that as being sadistic. Maybe your definition and mine are different...