Dinant HASL

Nadir_E

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
so "curved"Just one thing Dan. Why is the bridge of Dinant so curved; For me it's must be more straight. I'm wrong with his ?
The underlying map is modeling the area in 1940 - the bridge had been blown by the Allies in an effort to slow the German advance into France. On that map the bridge is drawn as wreckage.

For his 1944 scenario Dan is using bridge counters from VASL to reflect the temporary bridge the Allies built over the Meuse in the same location and I believe VASL restricts you to the hex-side to hex-side placement, hence the 'curve.'

-N

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The underlying map is modeling the area in 1940 - the bridge had been blown by the Allies in an effort to slow the German advance into France. On that map the bridge is drawn as wreckage.

For his 1944 scenario Dan is using bridge counters from VASL to reflect the temporary bridge the Allies built over the Meuse in the same location and I believe VASL restricts you to the hex-side to hex-side placement, hence the 'curve.'

-N
What Nadir said. VASL limits the bridge facing.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You would need to have a couple of rules to cover the bridge technically covering two hexes, by being along the hexside. That sort of thing. Nothing too involved should be needed, but something for sure.
What Nadir said. VASL limits the bridge facing.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You would need to have a couple of rules to cover the bridge technically covering two hexes, by being along the hexside. That sort of thing. Nothing too involved should be needed, but something for sure.
The bridge actually is three hexes long.

Perhaps the VASL guys can allow 12 point rotation. This would fix things for VASL play. For ftf the bridge exists along the depiction.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When MMP makes this available.

Dan, could you recommend this to MMP:

Place the Dinant HASL inside the reprint of CdG, and add some more infantry counters (1st & 2nd Line, with associated HSs) to the counter mix.

The Dinant HASL could then be a Chapter Z module inside the core product, like the GT was inside the Rising Sun core module.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't want Dinant to wait the length of time that it would take to get CdG through P500 and the production queue along with a core module reprint. I have Parkinson's and don't have that kind of time left.

I'd rather they put it up as either an action pack or historical module.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I wouldn't want Dinant to wait the length of time that it would take to get CdG through P500 and the production queue along with a core module reprint. I have Parkinson's and don't have that kind of time left.

I'd rather they put it up as either an action pack or historical module.
Perhaps both could be possible.
First a separate Dinant HASL module, then, when CdG is reprinted (ca. 2020), Dinant can be added to it.

Really sorry to hear about your illness. Praying for you.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm working on some geo board scenarios for inclusion in Dinant.

This is the map configuration for a scenario showing the fight for Onhaye on 14 May. It is about a mile from the SW corner of the Dinant. German armor attacking the village is hit by a French armored counterattack.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Dan. I didn't mean it being three hexes long, I meant because it exists on the hexside of two hexes, you would need rules for OBA effecting units on the bridge, even if one of the hexes straddling the hexside is not in the FFE. Which hex do you draw range to, that sort of thing.
The bridge actually is three hexes long.

Perhaps the VASL guys can allow 12 point rotation. This would fix things for VASL play. For ftf the bridge exists along the depiction.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Crap! Sorry to hear about this Ducky. You were always a good egg and one hell of a designer. Hope you are doing well.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm working on some geo board scenarios for inclusion in Dinant.

This is the map configuration for a scenario showing the fight for Onhaye on 14 May. It is about a mile from the SW corner of the Dinant. German armor attacking the village is hit by a French armored counterattack.
A French armoured counterattack at 8 MP's? That's going to be mighty slow going.......

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
this project looks Really cool. i hope it is published sooner than later too. another added to the Must Have list. the play test map i saw at Noreaster was beautiful. seems there is a lot of unique action around this area that will make for some fun ASL

Dave Olie

High King of New Scotland
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've been getting back in the loop on ASL, and this product is one I've been cranked about since you announced it, Dan. (See post #5.) Everything I've seen catching up tonight has been gold. This will be your magnum opus, my friend, however long it takes. Keep on keeping on. I'm sure I'll enjoy this when it sees the light of day.

Historically, the Onhaye battle was crucial to the outcome of the campaign, and interesting in its own right. Glad to see you're including it.

Last edited: