Decision at Elst - ASLSK rulebook

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
A quick question for MMP: I have ASLSK1,2,3 and Expansion Pack #1. I'm interested in the Decision at Elst ASLSK rulebook but I don't want to buy the module. I was wondering if by any chance the latest ASLSK rulebook that comes with the game will be available as PDF on MMP's website by any chance.

Thanks!

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A quick question for MMP: I have ASLSK1,2,3 and Expansion Pack #1. I'm interested in the Decision at Elst ASLSK rulebook but I don't want to buy the module. I was wondering if by any chance the latest ASLSK rulebook that comes with the game will be available as PDF on MMP's website by any chance.

Thanks!
I can't see MMP digitizing anything right now, unless it was the core rules. my opinion.

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
I can't see MMP digitizing anything right now, unless it was the core rules. my opinion.
Well, they already have it digitized as that's how you print things today and I don't care for the campaign rulebook. I'm just interested in the ASLSK core rulebook.

Danish

CyberASL Open Tournament Director
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I'm curious as to why you want the rulebook in Elst?

gevalim

Reaction score
Country
llCzechia
DaE contains the most recent version of the ASLSK rules. It includes all errata and supersedes the rules included in Expansion Pack #1.

Der Fleischer

Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llUnited States
While I am a HUGE advocate for the ASL SK series of products, it seems like MMP is shooting themselves in the foot with how things are packaged. If the DaE SK rules are the most current (which they are) AND supersede all previous SK rule sets (which they do), they should be made available separately. They also should not be called the DaE SK rules, they are simply version 5 of the ASL SK rule set. The core rules actually have nothing to do with DaE other than being included as the core rule set for play. How would the ASL community feel if a hypothetical version 3 of the ASL rule set was only available as a bundle with a historical module?

The other thing that would be nice is if MMP would update the TH and TK tables as a cumulative work with each new SK product. Right now, the DaE TH and TK tables ONLY contain those Guns used in DaE. The DaE TH and TK tables could not be used with say, an ASL SK 3 scenario because those items are not covered on the table. You currently now need 3 TH and TK table sets (SK 3, SK EP, and DaE) in order to cover down on any current SK scenario. A single cumulative table set simply makes sense.

tmanmerlin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought the new 10 year anniversary stand alone rule book for SK supersedes the DaE?

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The other thing that would be nice is if MMP would update the TH and TK tables as a cumulative work with each new SK product. Right now, the DaE TH and TK tables ONLY contain those Guns used in DaE. The DaE TH and TK tables could not be used with say, an ASL SK 3 scenario because those items are not covered on the table. You currently now need 3 TH and TK table sets (SK 3, SK EP, and DaE) in order to cover down on any current SK scenario. A single cumulative table set simply makes sense.
Hadn't considered this point of view before.

I think this is one of the unfortunate consequences of having gone this route with the TH/TK tables. Perhaps simplied versions of the C3 and C7.31-. tables would have worked better. But it's quite possible that the designer never planned/anticipated an ASLSK beyond the first kit, let alone an expansion pack and a HASLSK.

With a rumoured PTO kit in the works, it might be worth revisiting these tables with a view to bringing them more in line with conventional tables. However, I am almost certain that this would complicate matters further.

Here's an idea. If a keen ASLSK player were to approach MMP with a "comprehensive" ASLSK-style TH/TK table, they might consider publishing it as an insert in a future issue of Special Ops. Previous issues of the ASL Journal, for example, have included Bill Cirillo's play aides for Festung Budapest, and Spencer Armstrong's Chrono-rules Table. Provided most of the work was done already, an expanded set of ASLSK TH/TK tables might be doable.

Moreover, Special Ops is arguably the best place to publish "comprehensive" TH/TK tables. I think that the scenarios that would benefit the most from these tables are those that regularly appear in Special Ops. The difficulty with going this route is that the tables would become dated as soon as a new ASLSK pub is released with new Guns/AFV. Your alternative, that each successive pub include all preceding TH/TK data, makes more sense. But I'm not sure of its practicality. It would raise the printing costs slightly. And unlike an updated rule booklet, extraneous charts/data would buck the self-contained nature of ASLSK pubs [EXC: ASLSK BP1].

It will be interesting to see how the addition of PTO is handled. Will the latest iteration of the ASLSK rules in Elst be stripped of extraneous material (EX: PF) to make space for PTO-specific rules? If so, we would then have two parallel rule sets to contend with. In fact, I would be inclined to keep the PTO separate, along the sames line that the CG material in Elst was put into a separate booklet.

Looks like you might have a 4th set of TH and TK tables to contend with at some point. Best get cracking on those tables now Paul! :)

An no excuses for shoddy math. ;)

Last edited:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will there be 10th Anniversary editions for the SK2 & SK3 rulebooks as well?

I am ordering the SK1 edition, but would prefer to wait until HP is released to get both items at once.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

There's already one available. It's called the ASL QRDC. Call Ronco and order your set now!

I don't see why MMP should make the Elst Rulebook available as a separate item. You want the Elst Rulebook you buy Elst. Just like if Psycho wants the articles in Playboy Playmate of the Year issue, he's going to have to buy those darn nudies too. If I want the Festung Budapest, Valor of the Guards, Rising Sun, Armies of Oblivion, etc rules I'm going to have to buy the module.

If MMP catered to every whim of every customer they'd go broke and insane. Heck, I'd love for MMP to sell the ASL content in all their Special Ops separately, but they won't.

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There are very few differences between the Elst RB and the SKEP RB. Not sure about the SK3 one but it's hardly worth getting DaE "just" for the RB.

As for a consolidated ordnance chart, given the nature of this with several lines for each weapon, you are looking at a very large chart and if you wanted this many then the standard QRDC chart would be the way to go.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
There's already one available. It's called the ASL QRDC. Call Ronco and order your set now!

I don't see why MMP should make the Elst Rulebook available as a separate item. You want the Elst Rulebook you buy Elst. Just like if Psycho wants the articles in Playboy Playmate of the Year issue, he's going to have to buy those darn nudies too. If I want the Festung Budapest, Valor of the Guards, Rising Sun, Armies of Oblivion, etc rules I'm going to have to buy the module.

If MMP catered to every whim of every customer they'd go broke and insane. Heck, I'd love for MMP to sell the ASL content in all their Special Ops separately, but they won't.
Nudies? Where? :yummy:

danielt1263

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wait... ASLSK is not ASL and it should not be packaged/sold the same way ASL is. As I understand it, each ASLSK product is explicitly designed to be stand alone. I think it would be a huge mistake on their part if MMP started selling an "ASLSK rulebook" separately from any of the modules.

If you find yourself wanting a "consolidated/updated rulebook with all the rules in it" then it's time to get the ASL rulebook.

All IMHO.