DaE - Can the Shermans do anyhting against the Panthers?

furgie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
DaE - Can the Shermans do anything against the Panthers?

We're loosing Sherman after Sherman against the Panthers - Any tips for killing the beasts?

Cheers,

Furgie

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
SMOKE 'em.
Swarm 'em.
Deliberately Immobilize 'em (if that can be done in SK).
Gun Duel 'em (if that can be done in SK).

von Marwitz

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It normally took 3-5 Shermans to kill one Panther on a side or rear shot.

Unless you have a Firefly. The shoot quickly and most importantly, very accurately.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Avoid them. Shermans are not for killing Panthers. They are for killing infantry.

JR

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
yeah cross threaded my posts in confusions sorry....

Houtje

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
SMOKE 'em.
Swarm 'em.
Deliberately Immobilize 'em (if that can be done in SK).
Gun Duel 'em (if that can be done in SK).

von Marwitz
Agree with Smoke & Swarm; there's no Del. Imm. or Gun Duel in SK.
Further: swarming can be difficult, since moving around is rather tricky in DaE due to the polder hexes. You might try and use your numerical superiority (in both AFV and infantry) for, e.g., enveloping manoeuvres, to try and force the German player to move (and thus endanger) his tanks to counter those. In the scen. 'The Bend in the Road', e.g., I sent 4 squads of infantry through the northeastern grain fields; the Panther tried to move closer to stop them, promptly got Bogged in a polder hex and was shot through its very vulnerable rear by a Sherman.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I've yet to play any DaE, but based on general Panther vs Sherman experience I think it may be best to simply avoid them. Invite them come to you, offer up a Sherman and position yourself for infantry CC or side / rear PIAT attacks. If your opponent is unwilling to take up your offer, use your shermans to displace German infantry and/or as smoke machines using smoke ammunition, the sMs and sDs (the latter are particularly useful). Of course watch out for 'fausts and 'schrecks - it's quite possible for a single German squad to take out two tanks in one DFPh.

Enjoy!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Use them for "Russian Smoke." Drive at the Panther with the turret facing backwards (I'm assuming that reverse movement is still n/a in DaE).

JR

Dagney

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I am currently playing through the opening scenario of the DaE campaign game as the British. The tactic that seems to be working so far is to always ensure that there is a building, smoke or plenty of hindrance hexes (preferably all) between my shermans and the panthers. I lost my firefly when I forgot that (d'oh). The surviving shermans are doing an absolute tip top job flinging all manner of smoke (including WP) at those beastly SS squads cowering in the buildings. I have never really used smoke before in ASL, and I must say it makes a huge difference in the attack. Takes the smile of the MMG squad when they are about to be swarmed by tommy and suddenly are have +4 on the IFT roll thanks to the M4 Mobile Smoke Machines lurking three hexes away...

The jerries are now a panther down, thanks to the erstwhile MAJ Mowbray Morris Souper (who is perhaps a distant relative to General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett). MAJ Souper, from the relative safety of a stone building taunted a nearby panther. Old fritzy let rip with his coax first, promptly rolling a 12. Undeterred, fritzy followed up with a HE round, missing but keeping rate. Amid cries of "is that the best you've got, you square headed sausage gobbler", fritzy lets fly again. And rolls a 12. Schweinhund! And to make matters worse then rolls a 6 to repair. Exit panther stage right. The other panther also rolled a 12 on his 75 in the same game turn, but managed to repair it. And the jerry FO hasn't been able to establish radio contact with his 105mm battery for the last three attempts.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Wow, with all of the"cant do that in SK" , it's going to be very different once SK players engage in ASL.

Not bypassing and no ?ment is the biggest game changer .

Der Fleischer

Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llUnited States
I play both frequently (ASL & ASLSK) and it really is not that big of a game changer to me. You have to rethink your offensive and defensive plans a bit but the lack of some of the "extras" in ASLSK is built in to the scenarios. Just my thoughts.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Smoke and swarm.

Apply smoke to cover your approach.
Approach from outside the Panther's TCA and stop for a side or read shot in the adjacent hex.
The Panther has to decide to shoot or hold fire after spinning the TCA and/or go into motion and pop his own smoke.
Send in another Sherman approaching from outside the TCA.
Rinse and repeat.
You'll end up losing one or two Shermans which is what historically happened.

Dagney

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
swarmed one of the panthers with five shermans, and took him without loss. The fact that the panthers gun was malfed at the time helped a bit.....