Been awhile since playing TOWA

buff111la

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just download patch 3.4.0.202. Some years ago to make a patch work, a couple of files from one of the folders had to be removed. Is that still the case, and if so, which folder and what files? Thanks in advance.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I did not have any problems (I also just started messing with this last Dec. after years away from it), when I upgraded.

Granted I just did a clean install.

However, I also after upgrade, added in the new graphic files and use the JSGM mod swapper to do so, works pretty well.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Guys.

I played TOAW Vol 1 ... WAY, WAY BACK WHEN... (2002 actually) :)

Thinking of getting back into a good hex based game. I guess Vol III plus the patch 3.4.0.202 (?) is the latest for the game.

But- what are a few of the biggest & best upgrades to the game since Vol 1?
Any good scenarios for "Roman / Medieval Ages / Revolutionary War or Civil War" out there for it?

Thanks for any answers.

buff111la

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's only one listed in the scenarios that come with the patch and it's from the US Civil War. There maybe others out there but they would have to from a scenario site.

Goliath

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hey Guys.

I played TOAW Vol 1 ... WAY, WAY BACK WHEN... (2002 actually) :)

Thinking of getting back into a good hex based game. I guess Vol III plus the patch 3.4.0.202 (?) is the latest for the game.

But- what are a few of the biggest & best upgrades to the game since Vol 1?
Any good scenarios for "Roman / Medieval Ages / Revolutionary War or Civil War" out there for it?

Thanks for any answers.
Rugged Defense http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenarii/browse_scenario.php is the place to go for additional scenarios.

Cheers
Martin

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! :D

Looking forward to some GOOD "old" fashioned gaming again without all the graphic fluff.

Question- I see a lot of scenarios for CoW are they compatible with TOAW III?

Last edited:

Goliath

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Question- I see a lot of scenarios for CoW are they compatible with TOAW III?
CoW scenarios are usually playable after loading them into the TOAW III scenario editor and then saving them again. However, this does not mean that they will play as the designer once intended. Some tweaking may be necessary.

Steve Hunwick has done a great job cataloging all scenarios, and his list sometimes gives info on playability, see
http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?104851-Scenario-Catalogue/page7, post #70.

Martin

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I like this game but since buying an Apple I'm never going back to a counter-intuitive and unreliable type of computer again. Alas, maybe someday we'll see this on apple computers...

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like this game but since buying an Apple I'm never going back to a counter-intuitive and unreliable type of computer again. Alas, maybe someday we'll see this on apple computers...
TOAW works in wine, which is the windows emulation layer you can use on Linux, FreeBSD, OSX and the like.

Last I checked there was a performance problem, though. I don't know whether that was caused by changed in TOAW3 patches or changes in Wine or maybe even in the NVidia drivers (they tend to **** up 2D performance). But some of the wait time shoots up 10x and I had to rate it as not playable at that particular time.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I've tried Wine for another program but there is always drama. I like a computer to be able to do lots of things, but I shouldn't have to become a programmer to make it happen. I wish they would just release a mac version of TOAW and Korsun Pocket.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've tried Wine for another program but there is always drama. I like a computer to be able to do lots of things, but I shouldn't have to become a programmer to make it happen. I wish they would just release a mac version of TOAW and Korsun Pocket.
Amen to that. 2D games these days should really not limit their customer base by narrow platform selection.

I should mention, however, that after learning a couple of uses of winetricks you can make a lot of stuff run with little drama these days. I run all my MMORPGs in wine (LOTRO, ST:O and Eve without the stupid captain's hangar).