Rules Query: Locomotivezes

Cpl. Canfield

Reaction score
Has anyone seen, anywhere in the orthodox rules, or failing that, in any SSR, rules for locomotives?
Movement?
Or just destroying one while stationary?
Seems to me this sort of thing might be pertinent to a Lot of partisan scenarios.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone seen, anywhere in the orthodox rules, or failing that, in any SSR, rules for locomotives?
Movement?
Seems to me this sort of thing might be pertinent to a Lot of partisan scenarios.
Look in the index under "wooooo wooooo"

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Movement?
You have to invoke the white on black SS rules with the black on white prisoner rules to get to the train station, don't forgot to look up the Coal Pile rules...

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Shanley's Hill has the Locomotives rules, as well as "Railroad Box Cars" (not the dreaded 6,6), and AA Rail Cars.

Sh2.4 Railway Cars: The following statistics apply to the three Railway Car Counter types provided for:

1. Locomotive: Front: Armor Factors both boxed zero, in red; Reverse: (star) MOVES BY SR; VCA: NA; ALWAYS CE; circled R; sD9; CS: 3.

2. Anti-Aircraft Flatcar: Front: White circle for Fast Traverse turret; two red stars (unarmored); ROF designation is a boxed 3; Gun is 37L(8); Reverse: (star); MOVES BY SR; VCA: NA; TCA: MUST FACE VERTEX; ALWAYS CE; circled R; CS: 5.

3. Freight Wagons (Box Cars): Front: Two red stars (unarmored); 21PP; Reverse: (star) MOVES BY SR; VCA: NA; ALWAYS CE; circled R; CS: 5.

There are the vehicle counters (1 of each type), Front only, of the Railroad vehicles above that came on the inside flap of the module cover folder. You have to cut them out and paste them to a 5/8 inch counter to make them playable.

Last edited:

Tesgora

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Movement?
For official scenarios, see the SSR for J75 My Lonely Valentine, it concerns only stationary railway wagons. For TTP, Critical Hit had locomotive, wagon and Flak wagon counters to cut in a module involving US paratroopers in Normandy: All American The 82nd Airborne at Shanley's Hill. Paul Kenny also came up with SSRs for armored trains in his Blitzkrieg pack. I wouldn't be surprised if the forthcoming scenario pack on the Polish Campaign in 1939 by Bounding Fire Production included rules and counters for armored trains. There was also a rumor about train rules coming with the official Finnish module, but I am not sure of its veracity.

Cpl. Canfield

Reaction score
Thanks Kevin and Tesgora.

Kevin,
Could you do a bit of translating for me? I haven't played an AFV since my Crescendo days. I know what Armor box, CE and CS mean, but the rest . . .
Upon some digging, I see:
Both Armor boxes in Red means Huge, -2 to hit.
Does the "Move by SR" mean "by scenario rule"?
"VCA: NA" = Vehicle Covered Arc is Not applicable?
Circled R = no radio.

But sD9? Sounds lie a smoke depletion number.

I already have locomotive counters, from one of Wilder's modules. Just looking for official(-ish) rules to employ them. 'Cause, y'know, he couldn't be bothered.

Last edited:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
s9 (Smoke 9) C8.5
sD7 (Smoke Discharger 7)
sM8 (Smoke Mortar 8)

C8.5 SMOKE (s): Smoke23 may be placed by ordnance/OBA only at the start of the owner's PFPh/DFPh. Once any unit fires anything other than SMOKE during that PFPh/DFPh, no SMOKE may be fired during that PFPh/DFPh. Smoke is treated as a two level Hindrance to LOS and does not Hinder firing. Observing, or Spotting occurring above that elevation; smoke from both artillery and smoke grenades falls into this category. SMOKE does not block LOS [EXC: B.10]; it only Hinders it. See A24 for further effects of SMOKE.

D13. VEHICULAR SMOKE DISPENSERS
13.1 TYPES: Smoke Dischargers (sD), Smoke Mortars (sM), Smoke Pots (sP), and the Nahverteidigungswaffe (sN) are all vehicular smoke dispensers. An AFV is equipped with such only if the reverse side of its counter contains the appropriate abbreviation followed by a Usage Number; e.g., "sD7". The abbreviation indicates the type of smoke dispenser carried, and the Usage Number represents the abstracted probability (in terms of equipage, damage, loaded status, and crew awareness) that it can fire when its owner wishes. These Usage Numbers replace normal Breakdown and Ammunition Depletion rules. A smoke dispenser is not considered a weapon [EXC: sN in CC].

Last edited:

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Other than the CH Shanley's Hill module the only rules for trains I know of appeared in an old issue of On All Fronts;not sure which issue but have it somewhere in my ASL archives.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
4. RAIL CARS6

4.1 TERRAIN: Any hex containing ≥ 1 Rail Car depiction (EX: hex E14, D15) is a Rail Car hex. Each Rail Car depiction is a 1 Level LOS Obstacle [EXC: if Wrecked (4.7) or Gutted (4.8)]. A Rail Car hex has a +2 TEM and is Concealment Terrain (A12.12). Rail Car hexes may be Kindled [EXC: if Gutted] and have Kindling/Spread numbers of 8/9 respectively. Rail Car hexes are considered directly attached (B25.62) if one or more Rail Car depictions straddles the adjoining hexside (for an example see the 4.2 illustration).

4.2 MOVEMENT: Infantry may enter a Rail Car hex at a cost of 2 MF [EXC: if Wrecked]. Infantry may also use Bypass Movement (A4.3) to enter a Rail Car hex as if it were a building [EXC: if Wrecked or Gutted]. Vehicles may only enter a Rail Car hex using Vehicular Bypass Movement (D2.3) as if entering a building hex [EXC: if Wrecked or Gutted] (see the 4.2 illustration).

EX: Note that hexes D29-D30 and D30-D31 are directly attached for purposes of Spreading Fire (B25.6-.62) as the hexside common to each has one or more Rail Car depiction(s) straddling it. Bypass movement would not be allowed along hexsides D29-D30 and D30-D31 due to the Rail Car depiction(s) straddling the hexside. Bypass Movement would be possible in hex D29 along the D29-D28 hexside and also in hex D31 along the D31-D32 hexside. Bypass movement would be allowed in hex D30 along the C30 and C31 hexsides, but not along the E30 or E31 hexsides.

4.3 GUNS/FORTIFICATIONS: The only Guns allowed in a Rail Car hex are Small Target Size Guns, AT/INF Guns that are not Large Targets, and Mortars [EXC: if Wrecked or Gutted]. Guns may set up Emplaced in a Rail Car hex. The types of Fortifications allowed in a Rail Car hex are the same as those allowed in a GLRR hex (B32.11) [EXC: if Wrecked or Gutted].

4.4 RUBBLE: Stone Rubble falling (B24.12) into any Rail Car hex turns it into a Stone Rubble (not Rail Car) hex.

4.5 AMBUSH: Rail Car hexes are treated as buildings for Ambush/Street Fighting purposes.

4.6 AERIAL: There is a +2 DRM to a Sighting TC vs a unit in [EXC: DRM does not apply if in Bypass] a Rail Car hex [EXC: if Wrecked or Gutted].

4.7 WRECKED RAIL CAR: Any HE attack of ≥ 70mm against a Rail Car hex in which the original IFT DR results in a KIA can possibly cause the Rail Car hex to become Wrecked. Before resolving the HE attack against any affected occupants make a subsequent dr; if the result is ≤ the KIA# of the original DR, the Rail Car hex is Wrecked, and all occupying Infantry/Guns/SW/Unarmored Vehicles are eliminated; any occupying AFV that is currently Moving/Motion must undergo an immediate Bog Check (D8.2). A Rail Car hex may also become Wrecked by failing a Bombardment Morale Check (C1.822); a Rail Car hex has a Morale of 9 for Bombardment purposes.

4.71 TERRAIN: A Wrecked Rail Car hex is identified by either printed artwork (i.e., any hex containing a combination of Rail Car depictions, wooden rubble and shellholes; (EX: hexes D13, D14) or by placement of a Wooden Rubble counter. All rules pertaining to Wooden Rubble (B24) apply to a Wrecked Rail Car hex [EXC: During the Refit Phase a Wrecked Rail Car marked with a Blaze does not become shellholes as per 12.6102, rather it becomes Gutted per 12.6106].

4.8 GUTTED RAIL CAR: A Rail Car or Wrecked Rail Car hex may become Gutted during the Refit Phase of a CG (12.610-.6106) or is designated as such by SSR; a Rail Car hex may not become Gutted during play.

4.81 TERRAIN: All rules pertaining to Debris (1.) apply to a Gutted Rail Car hex. A Gutted Rail Car hex is identified by placement of a Gutted counter.

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
i thought the never arriving Finn module is supposed to have armored trains and rules, seems both the module and trains are rare...

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seven or eight years ago I proofread some rail car and gun mounted rail car rules for Steven Swann. They were supposed to be for an upcoming Heat of Battle scenario pack. Not sure what happened.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You have to invoke the white on black SS rules with the black on white prisoner rules to get to the train station, don't forgot to look up the Coal Pile rules...
Don't laugh....there are rules for a large coal pile in the Manila HASL....just sayin'.............

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I want to use FTs and Kindling on the Coal Piles to create +6 Smoke up to level 75! Might screw up US air support... :laugh:

Or would that be Coal Dumps? :hmmm:

von Marwitz

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Blowing up train tracks was not a significant source of partisan tactical combat. It did not take a company of partisans to blow up railroad tracks, just a couple, and they naturally did it when people were not around.