What boardgames have you played recently?

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a rousing game of Dungeon Fighter last night. We had 10 people ages 10 to 53 around the table with some sharing a Hero, while I ran the game (6 players maximum). You're a party of heroes trying to get thru a dungeon and collect treasures. The fun starts with the combat system. There's a big dart board that lies that on the table and you have to bounce a die onto it. The die MUST bounce once first on the table before it can land on the board. The closer to the middle, the more damage you do to the monster. If you miss the board, the monster hits you and you take damage.

Things get crazy when heroes use different weapons or certain monsters are tougher to kill. The monster that was hardest for the party last night was one that required them to bounce the die off their head onto to table then onto the board. Others require you to close your eyes, use your weak hand, under your leg, or pray (then drop the die), etc.

Great fun with lots of cheering, groans, laughter, irritation and table talk. Those watching football stopped by to see what all the commotion was about. They all want to play it again today.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a rousing game of Dungeon Fighter last night. We had 10 people ages 10 to 53 around the table with some sharing a Hero, while I ran the game (6 players maximum). You're a party of heroes trying to get thru a dungeon and collect treasures. The fun starts with the combat system. There's a big dart board that lies that on the table and you have to bounce a die onto it. The die MUST bounce once first on the table before it can land on the board. The closer to the middle, the more damage you do to the monster. If you miss the board, the monster hits you and you take damage.

Things get crazy when heroes use different weapons or certain monsters are tougher to kill. The monster that was hardest for the party last night was one that required them to bounce the die off their head onto to table then onto the board. Others require you to close your eyes, use your weak hand, under your leg, or pray (then drop the die), etc.

Great fun with lots of cheering, groans, laughter, irritation and table talk. Those watching football stopped by to see what all the commotion was about. They all want to play it again today.
Sounds like a game for Dolan!

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
For the last seven or nine years all I have been playing is ASL.

However, I do have a largish collection of other war games (about 650 or so +/- 50, I guess) that are not ASL.

I enjoy occasionally to play something different when time permits such as OCS (mostly only DAK) and SCS stuff.

There are three other systems that seem kind of interesting but I have not purchased anything from them as of yet and wanted to know if anyone has played anything from them or what there thoughts were, all three systems are fairly expensive when collected as a whole.

Oldest (in history) first:

First the the La Bataille series? Interested in La Bataille de la Moscowa™ 3rd Edition first.

The next two are from: Grognard Simulations:

Armored Knights (Guderian Crosses the Desna 1941 and Operation Crusader and Venezia).

Death Ride Series (a whole bunch of interesting looking things).

I downloaded a few free trinkets on all three of these series, and I like the idea of La Bataille de la Moscowa, and the Armored Knights series looks simple enough, but not sure, the Death Ride series looks cool but may cost $300-500 for the whole thing.

Also, I have no idea on the "community" aspect of these three series, so if I ever did get them, I most likely would have to play them solo or via VASSAL.

Thoughts and ideas on these three series?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the last seven or nine years all I have been playing is ASL.

However, I do have a largish collection of other war games (about 650 or so +/- 50, I guess) that are not ASL.

I enjoy occasionally to play something different when time permits such as OCS (mostly only DAK) and SCS stuff.

There are three other systems that seem kind of interesting but I have not purchased anything from them as of yet and wanted to know if anyone has played anything from them or what there thoughts were, all three systems are fairly expensive when collected as a whole.

Oldest (in history) first:

First the the La Bataille series? Interested in La Bataille de la Moscowa™ 3rd Edition first.

The next two are from: Grognard Simulations:

Armored Knights (Guderian Crosses the Desna 1941 and Operation Crusader and Venezia).

Death Ride Series (a whole bunch of interesting looking things).

I downloaded a few free trinkets on all three of these series, and I like the idea of La Bataille de la Moscowa, and the Armored Knights series looks simple enough, but not sure, the Death Ride series looks cool but may cost $300-500 for the whole thing.

Also, I have no idea on the "community" aspect of these three series, so if I ever did get them, I most likely would have to play them solo or via VASSAL.

Thoughts and ideas on these three series?
IIRC Rog Whelan plays Bataille series......

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
5 missions of "over the reich" with my ME-109 sqdn in advanced mode. Did good for 4 of them , bounced by 5 P-51D and 3 P-38J over Cotentin Penninsula just before Op Cobra... lost my A.O.C. crack shot ace Exec, and 2 new recruits, and a 6 mission vet gets WIA. Took down all the enemy planes sans a P-51 that ran away, 2 shot up birds limp home 1 leaking fuel, the other engine coolant. Tough fight. I think this was the second longest mission I've flown in this moldy - oldy. Took more than a half- hour to run that last flight.

I like the model - computer assisted "Air Force / Dauntless" is what I see in this game.

KRL, JonH

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My weekend....
Friday night I got thumped in a ASL scenario from the HERO PACK 2, THE MAELSTROM. The Russians won by getting me to my CVP cap on turn 3. Ouch. THEN we played CAMPAIGN MANAGER 2008. I have been playing this game, trying to see if I can use it as a HS Govt teacher. UNFORTUNATELY, every time I play, I lose. I can't win as McCain and I can't win as Obama. Well, Friday night I finally won as Obama.

THEN YESTERDAY, I got a group of guys together and we played RAILWAYS OF THE WORLD: MEXICO. And then we played SETTLERS OF CATAN. A good weekend.

Oh then Monday night I'm playing ASL. RECON AWRY to 'celebrate' the Battle of the Bulge.

Life is good...

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We play with the newer version of the rules that allows a defender to allocate damage points to his blockers rather than the attacker being allowed to as was common before the 2010 Core set.

During Combat, in MtG, the Defending (non-Active) player does not assign Combat damage to his blocking creatures....the active (Attacking) player does. (barring some card ability that changes this...and there are a few)

The Defending (non-Active) player assigns Combat damage to the Attacking creatures which his creatures have blocked.

This is as it has always been....you assign Combat damage from your sources, and the other player assigns Combat damage from his sources (among legal targets). Now, there are some changes in how that damage can/must be assigned, but which player assigns that damage has not changed.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
During Combat, in MtG, the Defending (non-Active) player does not assign Combat damage to his blocking creatures....the active (Attacking) player does. (barring some card ability that changes this...and there are a few)

The Defending (non-Active) player assigns Combat damage to the Attacking creatures which his creatures have blocked.

This is as it has always been....you assign Combat damage from your sources, and the other player assigns Combat damage from his sources (among legal targets). Now, there are some changes in how that damage can/must be assigned, but which player assigns that damage has not changed.
You are correct, my confusion.

THIS is the major change in assigning combat damage that occurred with the 2010 Rules set.

"• An attacking creature that is blocked deals damage to
the blocking creatures. If one of your attacking creatures
is blocked by multiple creatures, you decide how to
divide its combat damage among them. You must assign
at least enough damage to the first blocking creature in
line to destroy it before you can assign damage to the
next one in line, and so on."

http://www.wizards.com/magic/rules/EN_Magic_Basic_Rulebook_20090710.pdf

This eliminates the major power of an attacking 2/2 with Deathtouch to kill 2 blocking creatures when the first one has >=2 life by assigning 1 point to each triggering the ability. Now, only 1 dies, the first blocker, period. ( Or works in any manner of triggered ability.)

So the attacker's damage assignment is restricted to each blocker in line absorbing at least lethal damage BEFOR, another monster can take ANY damage.

KRL, jon H

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are correct, my confusion.

THIS is the major change in assigning combat damage that occurred with the 2010 Rules set.

"• An attacking creature that is blocked deals damage to
the blocking creatures. If one of your attacking creatures
is blocked by multiple creatures, you decide how to
divide its combat damage among them. You must assign
at least enough damage to the first blocking creature in
line to destroy it before you can assign damage to the
next one in line, and so on."

This eliminates the major power of an attacking 2/2 with Deathtouch to kill 2 blocking creatures when the first one has >=2 life by assigning 1 point to each triggering the ability. Now, only 1 dies, the first blocker, period. ( Or works in any manner of triggered ability.)

So the attacker's damage assignment is restricted to each blocker in line absorbing at least lethal damage BEFOR, another monster can take ANY damage.

KRL, jon H
Not quite:

702.2b. Any nonzero amount of combat damage assigned to a creature by a source with deathtouch is considered to be lethal damage, regardless of that creature‘s toughness. See rules 510.1c–d.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not quite:

702.2b. Any nonzero amount of combat damage assigned to a creature by a source with deathtouch is considered to be lethal damage, regardless of that creature‘s toughness. See rules 510.1c–d.
2 questions>?
where is that delineated in this rulebook?

Glad to see WotC may have changed it since the 2010 Core Rules revamping. So what is the link for the rules you are citing, and they are in play in non - tournament settings? ( ok 3 ???)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got a replacement copy of my CWG2 from Sierra finally on Sat night. Loved this game, still do. Onr of the few AI's programmed well enough to whoop you arse if you're not paying attention. and the CG does not end when you lose, it just starts a progressive handicapping into motion.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2 questions>?
where is that delineated in this rulebook?

Glad to see WotC may have changed it since the 2010 Core Rules revamping. So what is the link for the rules you are citing, and they are in play in non - tournament settings? ( ok 3 ???)
It's in the non-fluff rules of Magic...it was always that way when they did the change (Lethal damage is what you need to assign, and besides damage equal to toughness...there are several other ways to deal Lethal Damage, and Deathtouch is one of them).
It is the rules for any level of play...

I am not sure where to find the entire document on line, but I'll look when I am not typing on a cellphone.