New members introduce yourself here

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Welcome brainfertilzer, yes at ASLOK this year there was 168 people in attendance, it was my first time there and my 17 year olds first time, I kept saying "Why the hell did I not come 27+ years ago to this thing?".

Nicky, Mary, Andy and my son range in ages 17-22 (IIRC) and those are the ones that I know about (from GS), there is also a group of 30-45 year olds as well. And then all us old farts or those that have an age that is suppose to make them old but still think they are 27 instead of 47. So ASL is still by and far going strong, it's the community of players and the social aspect and story piece that makes ASL so fantastic, but its mostly the players I think.

There is also VASL for both PBEM and live online play or play live with skype.

And MMP and 5 or so TPP are still cranking out ASL stuff for the masses...

Welcome

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone in the DC area?
How do I find them? I followed a link somewhere (the Texas forum?) to the DC club, but it had succumbed to link rot.
Bob O'Connor is close by, as well as Sean Deller.

Some others are there as well, but the names are missing from my aging memory chips......

I knew I forgot to do something after my 55th Birthday, a memory chip "upgrade" for the newer generation of processors.

Drow

Reaction score
Some others are there as well, but the names are missing from my aging memory chips......

I knew I forgot to do something after my 55th Birthday, a memory chip "upgrade" for the newer generation of processors.
Hey, I need one! Where can I buy one,, boy do I need a "upgrade". Maybe I'll just take that laptop the doctor has, when I go in for my pacemaker/defib tune up. Feel low,, tweak the thing lol.

Bill

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone in the DC area?
How do I find them? I followed a link somewhere (the Texas forum?) to the DC club, but it had succumbed to link rot.
The Fredericksburg Fire Eaters club generally meets on the second Sat of the month, although they are without a reliable location right now while the VFW Post they use is being renovated. You can sometimes get a game at the Chantilly VA Game Parlor store, but the club that used to meet there (DC Conscripts) on the first Sat of the month has become mostly inactive (at least as an organized activity). If you post here in the Opponents Wanted thread you can sometimes coordinate a game. I think there's enough folks in the No. VA area, it's just a matter of synching up schedules.

chrisg

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi!

I'm pretty new to the forums here, have been lurking around for a little bit. I'm in my late 30s and have been a video gamer most of my life, only recently branching out to board games in the last few years. I heard about ASL when I started playing board games, but it was rather intimidating at the time (like most wargames in general). I've gotten over that though, and am quite interested in giving it a try. I've always enjoyed reading/watching/playing WW2 history things. I actually have a local friend that might be interested in learning the game as well, so that helps. Might be a few months before I have the spare cash to get started, but I can't wait!

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi!

I'm pretty new to the forums here, have been lurking around for a little bit. I'm in my late 30s and have been a video gamer most of my life, only recently branching out to board games in the last few years. I heard about ASL when I started playing board games, but it was rather intimidating at the time (like most wargames in general). I've gotten over that though, and am quite interested in giving it a try. I've always enjoyed reading/watching/playing WW2 history things. I actually have a local friend that might be interested in learning the game as well, so that helps. Might be a few months before I have the spare cash to get started, but I can't wait!
Hey there - how are you?

Welcome aboard! I started with ASL not too long ago myself.

Rgds
Jack

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hi!

Welcome the the forum, Welcome to ASL. there is a Very active Canadian ASL Association. VASL is your friend. Where you are new to the system and working with another new person Starter Kit might be a great way to start. godspeed

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
chrisg,

Welcome, some of your text sounds familiar, but we are all gun shy with the current round of fake id attacks, but if your real and legitimate, welcome aboard to this crazy world of ASL and GameSquad.

Note there are ASL players that never use the internet, but have been playing for decades.

If you want to learn ASL via SK then you can start as little as $35 bucks, if you want to dive into full ASL then you need about $200 (the rule book is like 80 BV3 is 105).

chrisg

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
chrisg,

Welcome, some of your text sounds familiar, but we are all gun shy with the current round of fake id attacks, but if your real and legitimate, welcome aboard to this crazy world of ASL and GameSquad.

Note there are ASL players that never use the internet, but have been playing for decades.

If you want to learn ASL via SK then you can start as little as $35 bucks, if you want to dive into full ASL then you need about $200 (the rule book is like 80 BV3 is 105).
I've looked at VASL a bit, but not really in depth yet. Will make things easier for sure. I think I'm going to just go straight to ASL and skip the SK though, I can still just start with more basic scenarios. From bits I've read, the starter kits are lacking in some features that I think sound good, concealment might be one? The rulebook also seems like it will be easier to search for things as well.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Rulebook and easy do not belong together :)

More seriously, download some of tge free scenarios off the mmp site and play someone on VASL. This will give you an idea of how the system works and whetger it is for you. Additionally it will introduce you to members of the hobby and you can then form your own opinions.

chrisg

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Rulebook and easy do not belong together :)

More seriously, download some of tge free scenarios off the mmp site and play someone on VASL. This will give you an idea of how the system works and whetger it is for you. Additionally it will introduce you to members of the hobby and you can then form your own opinions.
I meant easy to find things in the different chapters, everything seems nicely sorted. I'm quite aware there's a lot to it ;)

I do have some time before actually having the cash to get anything ASL anyway, so I'm sure I'll be checking out some of that stuff for VASL at some point.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Download VASSAL engine 3.2.8 (note that 3.2.9 will be out shortly, but from 3.2.x onwards you can easily upgrade the engine), then download VASL 6.0.1, then get the maps/extensions and then you can learn the engine and play with some boards and counters. If you don't have anything, then you can go to a few sites for some free scenarios (MMP, VFTT, CH, ESG, Paul Kerney, Monkey with Typewriters I, II, III, a French site, a German site, and ASLOK all have free scenarios) so you can push stuff around and see how it all works.

For any newbie they really should find a mentor to help them learn the ropes (maybe 2 or 3 mentors) to learn the system.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I meant easy to find things in the different chapters, everything seems nicely sorted. I'm quite aware there's a lot to it ;)
Agreed. The ASLSK rule set is more difficult to reference than the ASLRB2.

Sooooo, I has to ask.

Is you a Townie, or a Bayman? ;)

[video=youtube_share;fS6PsNinyzI]http://youtu.be/fS6PsNinyzI[/video]

Love the "Chicargo" line in Round 2. My father was a Cape Bretoner. He had his own lexicon, lobister being one of my favourites. Just had to watch all 10 rounds.

Found the vid below when I searched for the car adverts above.

[video=youtube_share;9QlQkw2FCek]http://youtu.be/9QlQkw2FCek[/video]

chrisg

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Agreed. The ASLSK rule set is more difficult to reference than the ASLRB2.
That's probably the main thing that has me wanting to just get the ASLRB to begin with. That, and the lack of SK1/SK2 availability would just bug the hell out of me, starting with 3 just seems weird :) And I can still just start with the basics and go deeper as I learn.

Sooooo, I has to ask.

Is you a Townie, or a Bayman? ;)
Somewhere in between? ;) From CB on the west coast, so definitely not a bayman and absolutely not a townie... heheh. Haven't seen those videos before, the car ad one was pretty fitting really (didn't watch more yet)

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That's probably the main thing that has me wanting to just get the ASLRB to begin with. That, and the lack of SK1/SK2 availability would just bug the hell out of me, starting with 3 just seems weird :) And I can still just start with the basics and go deeper as I learn.
Yep, with the rulebook in hand, you could get your feet wet with VASL before taking the next leap.

Somewhere in between? ;) From CB on the west coast, so definitely not a bayman and absolutely not a townie... heheh. Haven't seen those videos before, the car ad one was pretty fitting really (didn't watch more yet)
Ah, from the far corner of the rock. Workin' at the mill by day, dining at Strawberry Hill by night, are ya? :)

Last edited:

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Hi guys,

first post here.

:)

Owned the ASLRB and first four moduies ages ago and since language was still a problem, and living in the pre-internet era, I never got to playing ASL.

With ASLSK I became interested again in looking at it but it still took a while to really get going.

Just recently I was really bitten by the ASL bug and now I also own the ASLRB, BV, and VotG, next to all the ASLSK titles and some ASL stuff I already obtained over the last 2-3 years or so.

I'm still in the process of learning the game but am already having a good time.

Hans

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi guys,

first post here.

:)

Owned the ASLRB and first four moduies ages ago and since language was still a problem, and living in the pre-internet era, I never got to playing ASL.

With ASLSK I became interested again in looking at it but it still took a while to really get going.

Just recently I was really bitten by the ASL bug and now I also own the ASLRB, BV, and VotG, next to all the ASLSK titles and some ASL stuff I already obtained over the last 2-3 years or so.

I'm still in the process of learning the game but am already having a good time.

Hans
Welcome aboard, this is a good place to learn. Lots of ASL help to be had

Ian