I don't like cricket...

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
What a terrific day of Test Cricket. It looks like Australia were cruising to a win at 120-1. Then someone lit a fire under Stuart Broad and it was magic.

At 3-0m with one to play this seems more like it, but England's top batting order need to improve.
Generally a rather lacklustre, and second rate, way to win an Ashes series...with the obvious exceptions of some quality Bell batting and Broad bowling.
Which would worry the hell out of me if I were Australian and loved my cricket

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well... I think the English team from '09 and '05 were far better and they'd not hold a candle to the touring side of the 10-11 tour, even allowing for the same players. Root had a day of glory but has done little outside that 180, and he was dropped early. Trott and Cooke are found wanting match after match. Pieteresn has held his end up just enough to avoid criticism. Bell will be the man of the series. Bairstow is so-so. Prior holds a bat as though it were something he's been handed for the first time in his life. Then we're into the bowlers. In short our batting line up is not firing.

Our bowlers are OK, given the talent we have that will not get a game; Tremlett, Onions and Finn would open for their countries of they were anywhere but England or South Africa.

England have made the mistake before of thinking they're the poo when overcoming once (and surely set to be again) great nations in a moment of their opponent's relative weakness, only to be humiliated by South Africa last year. Right now England might move into second place in the rankings (moving above India - Justifiable after last year) if they nail Australia again at the Oval, but my head tells me something my heart doesn't want to hear: The overall quality of Test Cricket has declined. This Aussie side is struggling. England are a poor shower to be taking second place.

There's pleasure in winning an Ashes series, but this was a relatively poor England side beating the weakest Australians I've seen.

I listened to the women's game on TMS all day. Shame they only went four days, yielding a draw. Could have been interesting.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Well... I think the English team from '09 and '05 were far better and they'd not hold a candle to the touring side of the 10-11 tour, even allowing for the same players. Root had a day of glory but has done little outside that 180, and he was dropped early. Trott and Cooke are found wanting match after match. Pieteresn has held his end up just enough to avoid criticism. Bell will be the man of the series. Bairstow is so-so. Prior holds a bat as though it were something he's been handed for the first time in his life. Then we're into the bowlers. In short our batting line up is not firing.

Our bowlers are OK, given the talent we have that will not get a game; Tremlett, Onions and Finn would open for their countries of they were anywhere but England or South Africa.

England have made the mistake before of thinking they're the poo when overcoming once (and surely set to be again) great nations in a moment of their opponent's relative weakness, only to be humiliated by South Africa last year. Right now England might move into second place in the rankings (moving above India - Justifiable after last year) if they nail Australia again at the Oval, but my head tells me something my heart doesn't want to hear: The overall quality of Test Cricket has declined. This Aussie side is struggling. England are a poor shower to be taking second place.

There's pleasure in winning an Ashes series, but this was a relatively poor England side beating the weakest Australians I've seen.

I listened to the women's game on TMS all day. Shame they only went four days, yielding a draw. Could have been interesting.
It's 20-20 cricket...
It's killing Test Cricket
You only have to look at the majority of batting dismissals....they're 20-20 dismissals.
Bobbins

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Aussies playing really well in this one.

Part of me wants 3-0 and rain to close out this one, but a very small part of me wouldn't begrudge the Crims their first test win in a while...they deserve one based on overall performance over the series.

Australia is gonna be tighter I feel

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sachin Tendulkar is walking past a wind farm when the giant turbines start running backwards. Turns out they're all huge fans.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sad to see such a great player retire but it has to come. I hope India can cope with the loss of a test batsman. Too many of their crew are one day players only. Sachin could perform on all forms of the game.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ahhh.... Bliss.. I'm not in work tomorrow, or for the next couple of weeks for that matter... Winter Ashes tour is all of 16 minutes old and Broad has his first wicket.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Ahhh.... Bliss.. I'm not in work tomorrow, or for the next couple of weeks for that matter... Winter Ashes tour is all of 16 minutes old and Broad has his first wicket.
I don't believe the Aussie public's strategy to rattle Broady is working Trev !!!
:)

Steven Linton

Maniac with keyboard
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
In my experience, it is best to let the chickens hatch first.

And while i had to work through it all, I understand he bowled well.

But at his point, england are 8 down and 200 behind: if that's the tradeoff, I don't mind if Broad takes 5 in every innings.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well that stank. Maybe a good thing for the game. I feared an end to the Ashes if England continued to win all the time.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
In my experience, it is best to let the chickens hatch first.

And while i had to work through it all, I understand he bowled well.

But at his point, england are 8 down and 200 behind: if that's the tradeoff, I don't mind if Broad takes 5 in every innings.
That's rich coming from an Aussie....have you taken a look at your front pages today for example ??

But, to be fair, your fellers are very much on top and playing well.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Well that stank. Maybe a good thing for the game. I feared an end to the Ashes if England continued to win all the time.
Terrible losers.....even worse winners.
It probably is good...brings the series alive early. England need to start playing in the remaining Tests (I think we can assume this one's dead)

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Terrible losers.....even worse winners.
It probably is good...brings the series alive early. England need to start playing in the remaining Tests (I think we can assume this one's dead)
I was just listening to the build up on Radio 5 and Vaughan hioghlightd that the only batsmen whoo can look the tema in the eye are Broad and Tremlett. Given how they dealt with that ultra hostile attack compared to what is expected of them, he's right.

Makes me wonder whther England should let it go and not have their attack bust a gut in a lost cause. Broad or Andersen picking up an injury would be bigger than the win for the crims.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I was just listening to the build up on Radio 5 and Vaughan hioghlightd that the only batsmen whoo can look the tema in the eye are Broad and Tremlett. Given how they dealt with that ultra hostile attack compared to what is expected of them, he's right.

Makes me wonder whther England should let it go and not have their attack bust a gut in a lost cause. Broad or Andersen picking up an injury would be bigger than the win for the crims.
Definitely.
Let them wrap this one up in 4
Rally and regroup

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Just heard Warner's press conference.

Australians really don't believe in quietly going about their business do they?

Well...hopefully it might spark Trott into action for the next Test. I'm not sure I'd want someone accusing me of having 'scared eyes' and basically taking the piss personally of me in a Test Series with 22 days left to go.

It really is far too early for such smugness.

Terrible losers....a bit of a reminder that Aussies are even worse winners

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just heard Warner's press conference.

Australians really don't believe in quietly going about their business do they?

Well...hopefully it might spark Trott into action for the next Test. I'm not sure I'd want someone accusing me of having 'scared eyes' and basically taking the piss personally of me in a Test Series with 22 days left to go.

It really is far too early for such smugness.

Terrible losers....a bit of a reminder that Aussies are even worse winners

Yeah. Apparently Aggers gets stick in the ABC commentary booth. I recall how gentle the TMS team have been with their guest commentators over the past few years and I'm left wondering whether Benaud and Maxwell are the only true gentlemen left over there.

I think Trott has to go. Bell moves up to 3, Root to 5. Bairstow in at 6. All the batsmen should be made to bring the bowlers - including Root - breakfast in bed until the next test.

My prediction is that we won't make 100 tonight.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I can see them putting down anchors tonight. Saving the test is unlikely but they will look to make a few scores tonight. Been wrong before though.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I can see them putting down anchors tonight. Saving the test is unlikely but they will look to make a few scores tonight. Been wrong before though.
When cricket is at its best it makes us wrong.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Yeah. Apparently Aggers gets stick in the ABC commentary booth. I recall how gentle the TMS team have been with their guest commentators over the past few years and I'm left wondering whether Benaud and Maxwell are the only true gentlemen left over there.

I think Trott has to go. Bell moves up to 3, Root to 5. Bairstow in at 6. All the batsmen should be made to bring the bowlers - including Root - breakfast in bed until the next test.

My prediction is that we won't make 100 tonight.
I hope our press treat Australia with a bit more respect than England have been shown if we are able to turn this series around.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Well played Australia.

On to Adelaide. Hope we perform better there else this could be a very one sided affair.