What boardgames have you played recently?

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A game of Kharkov from S&T #68. I still love these older style WW2 games but I don't have many opportunities to play them. I lost as the Germans, the Russian achieving a decisive victory with 54 VP. Oh well, better luck next time! Unfortunately there's no VASSAL module for it, or I'd play it more often.
I had the SPI issue of that game. It was not as compelling as PGG but still good. Apparently the copyright holder of the old SPI games won't allow them on vassl.

Ken Hampel

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've been playing Magic The Gathering regularly with my 10 year old son. Last night he admitted to me that sometimes he lets me win, right after I won! - I was a bit deflated.

I can't wait to get him to play ASL - probably another year away. Then we'll see who needs some charity.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been playing Magic The Gathering regularly with my 10 year old son. Last night he admitted to me that sometimes he lets me win, right after I won! - I was a bit deflated.

I can't wait to get him to play ASL - probably another year away. Then we'll see who needs some charity.
Is MTG still going strong?? I haven't played a game in 10 years..,.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is MTG still going strong?? I haven't played a game in 10 years..,.
yes indeedley doodley - believe the newest card set begins with a "T" saw it advertised in a rack at the game store on Monday night.

Still play 2 x month with my oldest son at Fri Nite Magic.

KRL Jon H

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had the SPI issue of that game. It was not as compelling as PGG but still good. Apparently the copyright holder of the old SPI games won't allow them on vassl.
the copyright holders vary depending on the game title, some are held by Columbia Games, some by Victory Point Games, some by Dan Versson Games, some by GMT, and one and on. The GMT and Dan Versson owned titles from SPI Compendium are available via VASSAL modules.

Victory Point Games owned SPI titles all have CyberBox gameboxes now.

Columbia Games is rather stingy, but 2 titles are now CyberBoxed, and 1 is under Sun Tzu module. The rest of theirs are not supported at this time, but that is likely and probably more due to no one constructing the modules / gameboxes yet.

a vast quantity of titles are abandoned. The titles are legally owned by the creditors of SPI when the doors closed, but there has been zero activity since on the unclaimed ones. Manufacturing any wargaming assistance software module or game set would not be difficult, or unheard of, many vassal modules are of old games now abandoned and a simple disclaimer that it can me removed / deactivated if the legal owners do not want it active can be added, and a simple design expediency such as not loading / building in the game charts ( a la most cyberboard game boxes) prevents someone from playing without owning an original copy of the game.

KRL, Jon H

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
yes indeedley doodley - believe the newest card set begins with a "T" saw it advertised in a rack at the game store on Monday night.

Still play 2 x month with my oldest son at Fri Nite Magic.

KRL Jon H
The problem I had with MTG is the constant having to get new cards. I bet I spent $2500 on cards during the 8-9 yrs I played. It just got TOO expensive. I have 1000s of cards nobody wants cause they cant play type 2 with them.

P.S. I don't know if Type 2 is the proper terminology these days. When I played, Type 2 was the core set plus the latest stand alone set and the editions to the stand alone sets..

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a Firefly boardgame based on the TV show. Great fun if you're a fan.
Great news! I picked it up last week to play with my twins who are big fans.

I've spent the last week reading the rules and sorting the counters for Star Trek: Fleet Captains with the Romulan expansion. We're playing tomorrow. One of us will be the Roms, Federation and Klingons. Tom Vassal gave it a 10 on his Dice Tower review site. Looks very promising after reading the rules twice.

Also, preordered Caverna and added Terra Mystica with that order. I like Agricola, but something wasn't quite right. Caverna is supposed to fix those problems and adds extra choices to the game. Can't wait. O

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the copyright holders vary depending on the game title, some are held by Columbia Games, some by Victory Point Games, some by Dan Versson Games, some by GMT, and one and on. The GMT and Dan Versson owned titles from SPI Compendium are available via VASSAL modules.

Victory Point Games owned SPI titles all have CyberBox gameboxes now.

Columbia Games is rather stingy, but 2 titles are now CyberBoxed, and 1 is under Sun Tzu module. The rest of theirs are not supported at this time, but that is likely and probably more due to no one constructing the modules / gameboxes yet.

a vast quantity of titles are abandoned. The titles are legally owned by the creditors of SPI when the doors closed, but there has been zero activity since on the unclaimed ones. Manufacturing any wargaming assistance software module or game set would not be difficult, or unheard of, many vassal modules are of old games now abandoned and a simple disclaimer that it can me removed / deactivated if the legal owners do not want it active can be added, and a simple design expediency such as not loading / building in the game charts ( a la most cyberboard game boxes) prevents someone from playing without owning an original copy of the game.

KRL, Jon H
Interesting. For some reason I thought Decision Games had all the SPI copyrights.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The problem I had with MTG is the constant having to get new cards. I bet I spent $2500 on cards during the 8-9 yrs I played. It just got TOO expensive. I have 1000s of cards nobody wants cause they cant play type 2 with them.

P.S. I don't know if Type 2 is the proper terminology these days. When I played, Type 2 was the core set plus the latest stand alone set and the editions to the stand alone sets..
Fri nite magic tourneys are all "drafting" here; so it is always 33 new cards and all the mana you want for the $15.00 entry fee, a no brainer of a play for anyone wanting new cards at a good price.

You however, do not NEED new cards to play informal games. Today was the first new cards I have bought in over a year, paying 19.00 USD for a dueling deck set of Green vs White. ( 2 colors I enjoy and have many decks of).

I had before the fire 34 full 60 card decks, and about 1,000 leftovers I would sell via ebay in lots of 500 random commons to get a bit of cash to buy new cards as I got them. Since the fire , I have 5 decks and about 50 extra cards that look interesting, as I give the rest I cannot use to the informal magic players group we have here ( a communal box of commons and uncommons kept at our gaming house, sorted by color and casting cost, anyone is welcome to deposit or take cards at will, there is about 10k cards there total. Our group has 17 active players, and game nights about once a month we can usually muster a large group of 10+ to play, and we either run very informal team game, or if there is an odd # we draw straws, short straw is King of the Hill with a 60 card deck, and everyone else must use only 40 card decks to try to defeat the King of the Hill, and so on until we are all tired. King of the Hill games can be very fun indeed, especially with antes in as you can win 10 or 12 random ante cards each round you can stay on top of the hill.

We rarely buy cards as fast as they print them. And we rarely ban card combos, the last one we banned was the "counterspell on a stick". for our group banning a card combo requires unanimous agreement.

Old cards are deadly vs newer cards. This is as it should be.

We play with the newer version of the rules that allows a defender to allocate damage points to his blockers rather than the attacker being allowed to as was common before the 2010 Core set.

KRL, Jon H

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
I got a copy of War of the Suns from MMP and started learning the rules. Looking forward to playing my first operational scenario in about two weeks time. We're planning on playing through all the scenarios and then to start on the grand campaign around Christmas.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fri nite magic tourneys are all "drafting" here; so it is always 33 new cards and all the mana you want for the $15.00 entry fee, a no brainer of a play for anyone wanting new cards at a good price.

You however, do not NEED new cards to play informal games. Today was the first new cards I have bought in over a year, paying 19.00 USD for a dueling deck set of Green vs White. ( 2 colors I enjoy and have many decks of).

I had before the fire 34 full 60 card decks, and about 1,000 leftovers I would sell via ebay in lots of 500 random commons to get a bit of cash to buy new cards as I got them. Since the fire , I have 5 decks and about 50 extra cards that look interesting, as I give the rest I cannot use to the informal magic players group we have here ( a communal box of commons and uncommons kept at our gaming house, sorted by color and casting cost, anyone is welcome to deposit or take cards at will, there is about 10k cards there total. Our group has 17 active players, and game nights about once a month we can usually muster a large group of 10+ to play, and we either run very informal team game, or if there is an odd # we draw straws, short straw is King of the Hill with a 60 card deck, and everyone else must use only 40 card decks to try to defeat the King of the Hill, and so on until we are all tired. King of the Hill games can be very fun indeed, especially with antes in as you can win 10 or 12 random ante cards each round you can stay on top of the hill.

We rarely buy cards as fast as they print them. And we rarely ban card combos, the last one we banned was the "counterspell on a stick". for our group banning a card combo requires unanimous agreement.

Old cards are deadly vs newer cards. This is as it should be.

We play with the newer version of the rules that allows a defender to allocate damage points to his blockers rather than the attacker being allowed to as was common before the 2010 Core set.

KRL, Jon H
I don't understand WotC changing the damage assign rules. That makes absolutely no sense. The attacker should be able to choose where the damage goes. That would be like in ASL the defender deciding how the attackers attacks will go in CC. Why after 17yrs would they decide to do that????? Heck, I wouldn't even no how to play anymore and I used to be a pretty fair player. Won several local tournys and always finished in the top 4 at my local hobby store on the weekend tournys.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't understand WotC changing the damage assign rules. That makes absolutely no sense. The attacker should be able to choose where the damage goes. That would be like in ASL the defender deciding how the attackers attacks will go in CC. Why after 17yrs would they decide to do that????? Heck, I wouldn't even no how to play anymore and I used to be a pretty fair player. Won several local tournys and always finished in the top 4 at my local hobby store on the weekend tournys.
I agree I think it was the largest change overall in the core rules, it basically assigned a trait ( banding) to each and every creature card for free, and obsoleted an entire set of banding spells and abilities from older cards. ( Had a soldier deck built on this premise, with lots of inherent ability +'s for soldier class creatures in it, and banding enchantments and instants / interrupts. I think it was one of the most powerful spell / ability additions of the 4th ed cardset. Pity they did away with it. ( Banding, if you recall, gave the defender the ability to create a band of any number of creatures with it as well as one ( usually sacrificial) creature without it the capability to block any one of the attackers as a band, and the defender was able to assign damage ( to the non band sacrificial lamb)..) This put it where it belonged, for sure; a trait gained via casting costs.

KRL, Jon H

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree I think it was the largest change overall in the core rules, it basically assigned a trait ( banding) to each and every creature card for free, and obsoleted an entire set of banding spells and abilities from older cards. ( Had a soldier deck built on this premise, with lots of inherent ability +'s for soldier class creatures in it, and banding enchantments and instants / interrupts. I think it was one of the most powerful spell / ability additions of the 4th ed cardset. Pity they did away with it. ( Banding, if you recall, gave the defender the ability to create a band of any number of creatures with it as well as one ( usually sacrificial) creature without it the capability to block any one of the attackers as a band, and the defender was able to assign damage ( to the non band sacrificial lamb)..) This put it where it belonged, for sure; a trait gained via casting costs.

KRL, Jon H
Yea, banding was one of the first abilities given to creatures. They got away from the banding ability a long time ago as they thought it was a confusing concept. NOW, they give it to every creature as an inherent ability. Nonsense...:nuts:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
GMT 1989, long running VASSAL game. Good but not as engaging as Labyrinth or Twilight Struggle.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yea, banding was one of the first abilities given to creatures. They got away from the banding ability a long time ago as they thought it was a confusing concept. NOW, they give it to every creature as an inherent ability. Nonsense...:nuts:
Another old time ability I always liked was phasing