Should I read PTO rules now or just wait for RS?

CrosleyPup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've only been playing ASL for a couple of years now and kind of been waiting for RS to be republished before diving into the PTO.
So my question is should I read the current PTO rules or should I wait for RS?
Are there going to be big differences?

Thanks!

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've only been playing ASL for a couple of years now and kind of been waiting for RS to be republished before diving into the PTO.
So my question is should I read the current PTO rules or should I wait for RS?
Are there going to be big differences?

Thanks!
To the best of my knowledge, the RS rule pages primarily, if not exclusively, correct errata in Chapter G. I haven't seen anyone mention there being any significant changes in the rules; however, there are some folks here who were part of the proofreading team and could presumably say for certain.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
To the best of my knowledge, the RS rule pages primarily, if not exclusively, correct errata in Chapter G. I haven't seen anyone mention there being any significant changes in the rules; however, there are some folks here who were part of the proofreading team and could presumably say for certain.
That's my sense as well - a few errata alterations. I think Journal 10 has a list of the Chapter G changes.

If a player is keen to jump into the PTO once RS is published, I think it's a great idea to start reading Chapter G now.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's my sense as well - a few errata alterations. I think Journal 10 has a list of the Chapter G changes.

If a player is keen to jump into the PTO once RS is published, I think it's a great idea to start reading Chapter G now.
There are some very minor revisions, all are noted in the J10 Debriefing - chief among them is the removal of any ability of the Japanese to generate HIP THH in 44-45 scenarios when the enemy OoB does not have any AFVs.

KRL, Jon H

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There is also the optional use of battlefield nuclear weapons in scenarios set in 1945 but I don't think that appears in any scenarios yet. I'm not sure why they included it as part of the core rules, I felt it should have stayed as an SSR but they didn't listen to me.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Start reading Chapter G immediately. That way you will be ready for Rally Point #8.

Cpt Homp

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is also the optional use of battlefield nuclear weapons in scenarios set in 1945 but I don't think that appears in any scenarios yet. I'm not sure why they included it as part of the core rules, I felt it should have stayed as an SSR but they didn't listen to me.
It's a pretty easy SSR right? Every building and woods hex is rubbled and blazing, all on map units are KIA, right? It's really going to speed up the game.

Don't forget the random mutation table for reinforcements 'after the bomb'....:devil:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Read at least chapters 1-7 (and 17-18 which are about the Marines and the Chinese), which cover the Japanese and the most frequent PTO terrains.
9-16 (panjis, animal-pack, caves, landing craft, beaches, seabourne assaults, bulldozers and [dyo] tropical climatic conditions) are just a PITA for a first read and could give the impression that the ingestion of PTO rules is hardly possible.
Believe me, the crushing majority of PTO scenarios only use those first chapters and the ones about USMC/Chinese.

larth

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Read at least chapters 1-7 (and 17-18 which are about the Marines and the Chinese), which cover the Japanese and the most frequent PTO terrains.
9-16 (panjis, animal-pack, caves, landing craft, beaches, seabourne assaults, bulldozers and [dyo] tropical climatic conditions) are just a PITA for a first read and could give the impression that the ingestion of PTO rules is hardly possible.
Believe me, the crushing majority of PTO scenarios only use those first chapters and the ones about USMC/Chinese.
+1

Go for it now and be preparered for major fun!