What boardgames have you played recently?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just played King of Tokyo.
Stupid game : exactly what I like when I don't want to burn my brain and have a drink.
Just fun and stupidness.
my last game of KoT was an Epic victory.

Playing 'the King', and it's down to me and the Gigasaur. I'm in Tokyo with three 'life' left, he is of course rolling for hits only. (Which I thought was dumb--if the dice give you good healing rolls, why not take them?) I have armor plating, but he has poison spit that keeps adding more spit markers. Anyway he can't roll 'hit's' faster than I can heal them for several rounds, until I outlast him with only 1 life point left to remain 'King of Tokyo'

A dice-rolling contest at the end to be sure, but reminded me of some ASL games when the 3:1 CC fails to take out a lone squad that keeps going back at 1:1 vs. a part of the stack and eventually whittles down the opponent.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
my last game of KoT was an Epic victory.

Playing 'the King', and it's down to me and the Gigasaur. I'm in Tokyo with three 'life' left, he is of course rolling for hits only. (Which I thought was dumb--if the dice give you good healing rolls, why not take them?) I have armor plating, but he has poison spit that keeps adding more spit markers. Anyway he can't roll 'hit's' faster than I can heal them for several rounds, until I outlast him with only 1 life point left to remain 'King of Tokyo'

A dice-rolling contest at the end to be sure, but reminded me of some ASL games when the 3:1 CC fails to take out a lone squad that keeps going back at 1:1 vs. a part of the stack and eventually whittles down the opponent.
Nice.
However if in Tokyo, your Monster may not heal from poisoned spit by using heart dice rolls (just saw that in the rules)... so it could have been that your opponent may have won the battle, after all.

I also foud that the Pandakai expansion allows your monsters to be more specifically tuned (as they each have specific "evolutions" that can enter play).

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice.
However if in Tokyo, your Monster may not heal from poisoned spit by using heart dice rolls (just saw that in the rules)... so it could have been that your opponent may have won the battle, after all.

I also foud that the Pandakai expansion allows your monsters to be more specifically tuned (as they each have specific "evolutions" that can enter play).
Well I may not be remebering the entire situation correctly, either. could be he was in Tokyo...

Ken Hampel

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well I may not be remebering the entire situation correctly, either. could be he was in Tokyo...
That would explain why he wasn't rolling for healing. Love this game! - got it for my son last year and we have played many times.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
That would explain why he wasn't rolling for healing. Love this game! - got it for my son last year and we have played many times.
Ah yes. Good explanation.
I do also like the Pandakai expansion : it gives more specific characteristics to the monsters.
We played twice this afternoon : my King was the first eliminated each time - against Pandakai and the Mech Dragon.
At least, it is a game that my fourteen y.o. son likes - as WW2 and historical wargaming as a whole does not interest him...

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played the first bonus scenario from World at War: America Conquered. This one pits the Texans against the US Army in 1985 after 11 US cities were nuked in WWIII.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a game of Carcassone with an expansion, Inns and Cathedrals or something. Inns were interesting, cathedrals annoying.

Then a game of Stone Age. After being behind all game I racked up a huge number of points from river cards (5 x 8 people, 4 x 9 food, 4 x 5 tools, etc.) but the leader racked up 77 points from huts alone (7 x 11 huts) to take back his lead and win.

John

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At Cleveland Board Gamers meeting yesterday; played '7 Wonders', An easy-learn, easy-playing train game called 'Paris Connection', some city building euro called Carraba (?) and three hands of Hanabi. I think the last one will be on my Xmas list. All the others are OK, but not 'must-haves'

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Played a number of games of Eclipse in sLander a couple of weeks ago. Other games include Arena, Race for the Galaxy, Power Grid, Seven Wonders, Struggle of Empires. Picked up but not played is Polis.

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cool deal on SPWW2 Robin.

I have been playing it (and it's old DOS version from same group) for a decade or more. Some parts are like playing ASL, 88, Panzer, miniatures and talking to Paul Weir all at the same time. I know a couple of the software developers and they are good folks and I converted about 20 scenarios (ASL) to it a few years ago (look for my name or the familiar ASL names).
Depending what version you have their maybe a avatar of two of mine in it! One is a KARL. I did some work on US TDs and fixed whatever the turretless Grant/Lee was supposted to represent. When I got some of the colors off a bit a guy named ALBY pimped my rides and made them beutiful!

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
What the heck is "sLander"?

John
Lander Wyoming. Where Pharm Buoy Wilson has a grass farm and where there exists a surprising (for a town of ~7000) large and active hot bed of local gamers. I increase the number of ASL players in Fremont County by 50% when I show up, but any other game and you can rustle up 4-7 gamers at the drop of a hat.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
A recent hit in my household is Hanabi, this year's Spiel des Jahr winner. An excellent and very affordable cooperative memory / deduction game. 30 games played in 2 weeks - my wife digs it.

We've also been playing Riff Raff, an innovative German balancing game with a card-play element. It's 8+ but my 4 year old niece played a credible game on Saturday. We also played a few games of Looping Louis with her, which everyone loves.

My go-to Euros in 2013 are Archipelago and Lords of Waterdeep. I've got a game of Archipelago lined up for tonight which I'm excited about. It's an excellent semi-cooperative exploration and development game with strong bidding, negotiation and economic components and also a possibility of a traitor, a lá B-Star Galactica. Highly recommended, especially for those of you interested in game theory.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Mahjong on my computer while flying between BWI and DFW last Friday.
I loved the Mahjong version that was part of the OS for some of the last-generation Windows versions. I was really kind of bummed to install Windows 8 and discover that it wasn't there. There are Mahjong apps in the App Store, but it wasn't just the game that I liked, it was the whole look and feel.

John