What boardgames have you played recently?

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Napoleonic miniatures, clash at Linz with Wuerttembergers, Saxons, and Austrians. Makes for a nice battle with a river crossing, depending on the defensive setup. Home rules.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Soloing Descent 2.
My heroes all KO'ed during Encounter 2 of the Monster's Hoard - and surrounded by Kobolds, Hell Hounds and Goblin Archers.
All they can do is stand up again, be downed by Monsters attacks and wait for the Overlord to win (he must stop them getting away within 7 turns).
Using home-made standups for the monsters...
Heroes are represented by the three coloured, round tokens.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Computer:

WinSPWW2 long CG

Board

A turn of Les Batailles dans l'Âge de l'Empereur Napoléon Ier game La Bataille d'Austerlitz, still slowly trying to figure that game out (on VASSAL, so it's a board game but I was goofying with it on VASSAL).

Browning

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played some Pathfinder over the weekend and are currently reading the rules for 6th Fleet.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
A turn of Les Batailles dans l'Âge de l'Empereur Napoléon Ier game La Bataille d'Austerlitz, still slowly trying to figure that game out (on VASSAL, so it's a board game but I was goofying with it on VASSAL).
I am learning this system as well (via VASSAL). Though my buddy uses the whole "regs XXX" rule book and not the simplified Marie Louise rules. The ML are far easier and take out some things (like artillery ricochet) and calvary options that really only add needless complication. But, he is my teacher, so I will go with what he knows. My advise is to post on the La Bat folder (on CSW) and try to find a tutor, its way easier than learning on your own. So far its fun. A little frustrating, but fun.

Peace

Roger

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Played three times battles of Fading Glory (GMT's "deluxe" version of VPG's "Napoleon 20") this afternoon : Waterloo twice and Borodino.

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Messing with the Total War series again! The sound durring battle is not working on my Napoleon TW game. I'll figure it out soon. :confused:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
ugh...not a fan of this series...it just seems so wrong to play Napoleonics with so few counters.
I agree that it is quite a light game system.
But it was ideal to introduce a newbie to a quite classical wargame - but it has many twists, especially the "Morale" currency, which makes it more interesting than the good ol' "Napoleon's Last Battles".
And the counters and maps are superb in the GMT version.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Breaking the shrink wrap on a copy of Gettysburg '88 i have owned for a few years now. No better time than this week to play it - given the big anniversary.

Today in fact - Longstreet takes FOREVER to execute Lee's order to attack the Union left - and Chamberlain makes his heroic stand on Little Round Top.

Can't wait to see how this plays.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I recently played the following :
- Smash Up! (nice)
- The Adventurers : Temple of Chack (not bad, but won't hit the table that often)
- Arkham Horror : have had a blast, whether soloing or multiplaying. Immersive.
I am about to see King of Tokyo (and expansion) land in my post-box : I am looking forward to playing a stupid, bash your neighbour game.

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have Elder Signs: Omens on my phone which I understand is similar to Arkham Horror. Somehow I think Arkham Horror must be better, because I really don't care for Elder Signs... How would you compare them?

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Learning "Space Hulk: Death Angel" a War Hammer 40K card game with my son.
Looks interesting/fun so far.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have Elder Signs: Omens on my phone which I understand is similar to Arkham Horror. Somehow I think Arkham Horror must be better, because I really don't care for Elder Signs... How would you compare them?
i understand that Elder Signs is Arkham horror-lite. I can't say for sure as I haven't tried ES yet - but Arkham Horror is a big favorite of our Lovecraftian play group.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Arkham Horror is a large game.
It is quite immersive and you really get the feel that if you win, it will be by a hair breadth.
The rules are not the most easy to grasp, but there are a lot of online ressources.
On BGG, there are videos which explain how it is played.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Currently playing GDW's 1940, classic series 120 game. Enough "chrome" to make a fun game, but basic and fun. Games like this are not made much anymore.
The almost bland counters are refreshing!!

Next in the list is the new release from MMP, War of the Suns. Allot to tackle, but the subject matter looks really interesting.

Regards
Joe

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This reply refers to a PC game I will play once released--Rome: Total War 2. I loved the first version of this back when I dropped out of ASL. Now I wonder if I'll find the time for both.

Last edited:

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last three non-ASL games were just this past weekend:

Washington's War
Gettysburg '88
La Bataille de Mocsowa (excellent game system by Clash of Arms)

Brien