The VASL Map Bazaar is open!

p3love

ASL Acolyte
Reaction score
Country
ll
Well. Given that many people have asked (and received from Rodney) permission to use VASL counters in scenario cards, I think nobody would have any problem with your using them for what you're describing. Especially if you're not charging for it - my goodness.

Anyway, that's where it stands. I think the best way is to simply take a screen shot of a map with the counters off to one side (in the white border area), then import that into a graphics program where you can cut the counters away at your leisure and paste them wherever you want.

Tom
alright, I will try that - sounds like it will do the trick,
thanks

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished the DTO overlays (Deir, Wadi, Hillock, Sand, and Sand Dunes - have not tackled the Escarpment yet) and bundled them with the Standard Overlays download.

Caveats Emptor - I have not fully tested these yet. I'm assuming the placement from the overlay's data file is correct - I only changed the coloring of the overlays themselves to match the new DTO color scheme. You can also expect these overlays to change once MMP releases the DTO overlays in SK style colors.

Also fixed the links on the Geo boards page to the downloads for boards 20-29 and 30-39 (thanks David Sullivan for the catch)

I'll get on the Escarpment overlay next. And also want to publish Steppe and Broken Terrain versions of these overlays, just as I want to put out Dense Jungle and Light Woods versions of the overlays that involve Woods, Bamboo versions of overlays that involve Brush, etc. "Want to" doesn't equate to "will get to next" or "will get to soon", however - summertime is here and the Young Elf Lad has invaded Map Cabal Central. As if that weren't enough, Daughter Elf #1 is getting married next month, so we're reaching levels of Chaos and Madness seldom seen (or tolerated) here in these peaceful climes.

Thus my desire to push out the DTO overlays without full testing - if I waited to confirm every last thing like I normally would, I don't think it'd happen for a few months. So you guys get to be beta-testers. Lemme know if you find any errors.

Tom

bkemp01

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Tom, I'm sure we will all let you know that we have found no problems. Congrats on DE#1.

David H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Tom

When a Russian 4-4-7 squad gets ELR'd, you can't BH them using ctl-Q or with the counter drop-down menu, you have to draw a new counter from the counter window. Didn't see it reported here. Using 5.9.3.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
When a Russian 4-4-7 squad gets ELR'd, you can't BH them using ctl-Q or with the counter drop-down menu, you have to draw a new counter from the counter window. Didn't see it reported here. Using 5.9.3.
To clarify, a 4-2-6 that has been created from an ELR'd 4-4-7 (or 4-5-8) will not BH. A 4-2-6 from the counter tray, or that has been created from an ELR'd 5-2-7 (or 6-2-8), will BH to a 5-2-7 without problem.

I suspect that this is because the 4-2-6 "jumps queue" when it's created from a 4-4-7; it's no longer tied to its original squad type (if you see what I mean) -- it doesn't go back up the same ladder that it came down. I guess VASL is not able to replace the 4-4-7 squad type with the 5-2-7 squad type "on the fly". I doubt that there is any easy solution to this.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished the Escarpment (E) overlay and bundled it with the Standard overlays. Download the whole set here. To place it down, enter "e1" as the overlay name in the overlay placement dialog, and then enter "a1" as hex 1, with nothing as hex 2. This is an "interim" release that simply updates the v4 overlay with v5 DTO colors (and includes the standard DTO BSOs); when the Overlay Bundle comes out, the Escarpment graphics might be updated, so we'll rework it then (along with all the others). That's why, for example, the Crags on this overlay are still the ugly old-fashioned kind and not the ugly NEW-fashioned kind.

Also updated board 25 (to v5.2) with a minor error fix - hex Z9 did not go to Broken Ground under the Broken Terrain transformation. Download it here.

And with that, I think we're done with DTO for a bit.

Next up, I sit idly by and look on with indolent satisfaction as others push out the Rivers To The Reich overlays. (Coming soon). I didn't do a darn thing for these, and I'm QUITE happy to have outsourced the work.

On my own workbench, I think I'll put out overlay 4. It's virtually done, but an odd problem kept me from wanting to push it out till MMP published the Overlay Bundle. I think that's gonna take a bit longer to happen, though, so I'll just publish what we've got with a caveat emptor. Better to use a potentially-flawed (but v5-graphics-updated) version than not have anything at all. More explanation anon.

Last edited:

tallin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As always Tuomo, thank you very, very much!!!! If your ever in NE Ohio, Dinner and drinks are on me:)

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As always Tuomo, thank you very, very much!!!! If your ever in NE Ohio, Dinner and drinks are on me:)
I haven't been back to Ohio in years. Toledo area. Grew up in the shadow of the Lucas County Rec Center. Got to hear the crowd roar whenever the Mud Hens would score - not often ;-)

I'm convinced that spending time in Ohio somehow makes you a better ASL player.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't been back to Ohio in years. Toledo area. Grew up in the shadow of the Lucas County Rec Center. Got to hear the crowd roar whenever the Mud Hens would score - not often ;-)

I'm convinced that spending time in Ohio somehow makes you a better ASL player.
I grew up in Rossford. I left when I joined the Marines and have not been back. I'll visit my family every so often but absolutely no desire to go back permanently.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks to the work of Brian Kemp (bkemp01), Allan Cannamore (BigAl737), and Carl Nogueira (Carln0130), we now have the Rivers to the Reich overlays (A-O) added to the Overlays section of the Bazaar. Download them here

I am very pleased with this class of young Padawans and look forward to more productivity from each of them, as I catch up on my catnaps :) Give them all some rep love, baby!

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a minor tweak today - overlay D4 needed a bit of extraneous pixels snipped from the bottom. Updated the Deir overlays to v2.1 and updated the Standard Overlays download. Thanks to Don Lazov for the catch.

SandyWhite90

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just beautiful maps and love the hand-painted look for them.
I also make maps and I am very interested in how you do this and how long does it take you?
Again, really good looking stuff.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I need VASL board 68. Anybody got one? If not, why not? It's been out 2 whole weeks... :bite:
Thanks,
Steve

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Any guestimated time of arrival for the VASL incarnation of the AP 10 boards (69 & 70)?