The VASL Map Bazaar is open!

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reorganized the VASL Dev Roadmap to make it easier to understand. Took out the ToDos from VASL 5.9.3, migrated some ToDos from the Good Idea List and the VASL Map ToDo List. Thanks to all for their good ideas.

You can see how much there is to do. It's beyond crazy.
12 Module items (4 of which are slated to go into the next version of VASL)
11 board items
17 counter items
4 overlay items (but man are they huge in scope)
14 draggable overlay items
2 extension items
60 (yes, SIXTY) code items

Against all of that we have.... me :)

FWIW, these "items" are a combination of bug reports and Good Ideas for enhancements. I'd say there are very few outright bugs, but there are plenty of Good Ideas that seem pretty much mandatory to adopt :-/

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Board 6, Grande Old Dame of the game, has been updated to its SK-style glory. Get it here.

The Chateau Cherry SSO is particularly kewl :)

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Trying to track down some unwelcome behavior with the board version checker. Realized that I had listed the incorrect versions for boards 13 and 37. They have been corrected on the geo board download page (bd 13 is v5.4, bd 37 is v5.3). No need for anyone to download board 13 again, but board 37 does need to be downloaded again so that you'll have the correct version number (download is here). That's the only thing new about board 37 - the board version #. Sorry about that.

I am still thinking that the board version checker works for some people but not for others, or works inconsistently. I'll probably follow up in the VASL 5.9.3 support thread.

edit - think we've got the problem licked (knock on wood). See this post for details.

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Board 12, oft-maligned for reasons that seem to elude me, has now been updated to SK-style (v5.2). Get it here at the Bazaar.

Included are no less than 8 Special Overlays, including a BSO that removes the Marketplace as well as SSOs to let you play:
A52 Swan Song
AP24 Tridentina Avanti
G2 Last Act in Lorraine
G5 Six Came Back
G40 Will to Fight... Eradicated
J67 The Lawless Roads
J118 The Marketplace at Wormhoudt

as their designers intended :) My personal favorite: Will to Fight... Eradicated, that removes the Gullies entirely. Ooh, aah. Second favorite: Wormhoudt, where a lot had to be done to bldg 12U5, and I used a brown outline for the buildings that have RB Cellars. Lemme know what you think.

LaFajita

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Uh, Tom, "The Marketplace At Wormhoudt" is actually J114, as if you didn't know that already. Other than that, and the usual compatibility problems with overlays slopping over from the top to the bottom boards in AP24, and the odd fact that my stored A52 "Swan Song" is still incompatible with V593 for reasons I don't understand, I either upraded the other senarios to V593 or upgraded the boards and left the scenarios at V592. Thx, dude.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Uh, Tom, "The Marketplace At Wormhoudt" is actually J114, as if you didn't know that already. Other than that, and the usual compatibility problems with overlays slopping over from the top to the bottom boards in AP24, and the odd fact that my stored A52 "Swan Song" is still incompatible with V593 for reasons I don't understand, I either upraded the other senarios to V593 or upgraded the boards and left the scenarios at V592. Thx, dude.
This gets my vote for Best Left-Handed Compliment Of The Year :)

I realize there's lots that needs fixing from a code perspective. All I can say is, I've bought a copy of Java For Dummies and fully intend on making use of it. At the same time, given limited bandwidth to work everything that needs working, I've prioritized in favor of finishing out the SK-style maps. There's only 3 left to do (15, 16, and 19), if you don't count Desert boards. I prioritized it this way because:
a) it's fun
b) it's lonnnng overdue
c) odds of screwing it up are low
d) this work will likely still be useful down the road (ie, won't be undone by some new java or vassal version)
e) I can do it with my current skill set

After these three boards are done, there's several different directions I could take. All of which are Good Things To Do, but it's unclear what would be the best thing to do first.
1) Get going on Java and see if I can work some of the code issues. Lotta work, uncertain success, but very high payoff. Also personally rewarding to put on my resume.
2) Do the Desert boards. Not a ton of work, certain success, good payoff in terms of being long overdue (although for only the smallish minority who actually play DTO). Unfortunately doesn't address larger issues with VASL.
3) Work the many non-code issues that are on the VASL Dev Roadmap. Still a ton of work that would have to be prioritized since there are SO many things to do, probability of success and bang-per-buck varies, and can be done with my current skill set. Still doesn't address the code problems
4) Pitch it all and head to Katmandu

Decisions, decisions...

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Katmandu is overrated. Think New England with more snow, higher altitudes and no pro sports. To say nothing of our awesome accents. Nah, don't pitch it. Oh, BTW, you do a great job, so thanks. VASL is pretty much the only way I play anymore, and without somebody putting out this kind of effort, I would be screwed out of a hobby I love. My old car and older ass is not up to hour+ jogs from home after work any more. So many, many thanks. You make this hobby playable for me. Ya bastige. (Hey, it couldn't be all roses. I was breaking out in a rash and I know you wouldn't want that.)
This gets my vote for Best Left-Handed Compliment Of The Year :)

I realize there's lots that needs fixing from a code perspective. All I can say is, I've bought a copy of Java For Dummies and fully intend on making use of it. At the same time, given limited bandwidth to work everything that needs working, I've prioritized in favor of finishing out the SK-style maps. There's only 3 left to do (15, 16, and 19), if you don't count Desert boards. I prioritized it this way because:
a) it's fun
b) it's lonnnng overdue
c) odds of screwing it up are low
d) this work will likely still be useful down the road (ie, won't be undone by some new java or vassal version)
e) I can do it with my current skill set

After these three boards are done, there's several different directions I could take. All of which are Good Things To Do, but it's unclear what would be the best thing to do first.
1) Get going on Java and see if I can work some of the code issues. Lotta work, uncertain success, but very high payoff. Also personally rewarding to put on my resume.
2) Do the Desert boards. Not a ton of work, certain success, good payoff in terms of being long overdue (although for only the smallish minority who actually play DTO). Unfortunately doesn't address larger issues with VASL.
3) Work the many non-code issues that are on the VASL Dev Roadmap. Still a ton of work that would have to be prioritized since there are SO many things to do, probability of success and bang-per-buck varies, and can be done with my current skill set. Still doesn't address the code problems
4) Pitch it all and head to Katmandu

Decisions, decisions...

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah Carl, ya old sonofagun. I'm glad you're still around. Buncha punks around here what don't know their roots.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Board 15, the mountain version of the red-headed stepchild that is board 12, has been VASLized in SK style to v5.3. Get it here.

This board seems to be "almost right" in many respects. It's almost a good hill board, but you'll notice it gets used much less often than board 9 (or probably even board 50, which came much later). It's almost a good village board, but nobody thinks of it as a village board. Ultimately I think it just doesn't have enough coherence as either hill or village, which is probably why its lack of popularity pushed it so far down the queue.

There's even a BUNCH of nonstandard terrain artwork that I'm surprised made it into the Map Bundle version. Crestlines like N7-O8, R5-Q6, R5-R6, R4-R3, F2-G2 are gonna make plenty of people check the rulebook for legality. (I suspect they're covered in the crestline rules, but these kinds of "River crestlines" aren't normally seen outside of... Rivers, and people are gonna not trust their gut on how to play them. And don't let me forget the biggest cliff artwork you'll ever see on any board. Toss in a road network that only an under-budget Public Works Superintendent could love, and it's no wonder there's so many scenarios that ask for Scenario-Specific Overlays. And we got 'em:
* A43 Probing Layforce
* A57 First Banzai
* G12 Avalanche!
* J18 The Pinnacle
* ESG35 Destroy All Monsters
* FT62 New Model Army

So show some love to good ol' board 15 and get it while it's hot. Only two more left to do before we head into the Desert :)

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am very pleased to announce that board 19 has been updated (v5.2) to VASL SK-style by our very own Brian Kemp. This is the first MMP geo board NOT done by yours truly in a lonnnng time, and I'm quite glad for the help! Applying himself diligently to the task of fetching vanilla soy chai lattes for the elder Elves while picking up tricks of the trade around the office, this young Paduan has a bright future ahead of him.

So treat yourself to something new and download board 19 v2 here. It's got all the standard goodness, along with some tres-kewl SSOs for these scenarios:
* 19 Backs To The Sea
* A52 Swan Song
* G17 Hakkaa Paalle
* ESG29 Blood in the Mud

And thank and congratulate Brian for his work!

p3love

ASL Acolyte
Reaction score
Country
ll
I am very pleased to announce that board 19 has been updated (v5.2) to VASL SK-style by our very own Brian Kemp. This is the first MMP geo board NOT done by yours truly in a lonnnng time, and I'm quite glad for the help! Applying himself diligently to the task of fetching vanilla soy chai lattes for the elder Elves while picking up tricks of the trade around the office, this young Paduan has a bright future ahead of him.

So treat yourself to something new and download board 19 v2 here. It's got all the standard goodness, along with some tres-kewl SSOs for these scenarios:
* 19 Backs To The Sea
* A52 Swan Song
* G17 Hakkaa Paalle
* ESG29 Blood in the Mud

Thanks again for this. I tried the thumbs up rep but you know how it is with its fickle nature.

Just another related question: Do you know how I can get the DR/dr/Secret dr etc extentions?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got him. I too am very appreciative for Tuomo's work. Thanks!

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian Kemp continues his much-appreciated contributions to the Cabal, this time churning out the SK-style update to board 16. Get it (v5.2) here.

This one includes no less than NINE Scenario-Specific Overlays, including those for:
19: Backs To The Sea
25: Gavin's Gamble
59: Smertniki
79: Bridge of the Seven Planets
A52: Swan Song
CH17: Funnies at Zyfflich
G17: Hakkaa Paalle
G5: Six Came Back
TOT9: Beat Feet to Foy

And that's it for the ETO boards! We is all caught up! (applause). Just a little more tweaking and we'll crank out the DTO boards soon, and then we can get going on the NEXT 10,000 things to work on :)

Thanks Brian!

p3love

ASL Acolyte
Reaction score
Country
ll

* 19 Backs To The Sea
* A52 Swan Song
* G17 Hakkaa Paalle
* ESG29 Blood in the Mud

Hi,
Im making up a ASL instruction pack with Ch K. I have some real photo representations of the counters. Is there any way I can get permission to use the counters that are used for Ch K Days 1 - 8? I want to put them, life size, 1/2 " ect next to the real pictures I have found....

p3love

ASL Acolyte
Reaction score
Country
ll
the silence speaks volumes...I was only trying to put something useful together for Newbies but hey, lets just forget it then

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the silence speaks volumes...I was only trying to put something useful together for Newbies but hey, lets just forget it then
1. You posted your question in the thread that's dedicated to VASL Map Bazaar updates. A longstanding thread that's stickied for a reason.
2. You asked a question that nobody here can answer. Seems obvious that you should ask MMP, the people who license ASL.
3. Your issue is generally handled, in the VASL way, by using the VASL counters themselves.
4. Ch. K already is an ASL instruction pack. Maybe you didn't explain what you're doing well enough.

So you're surprised that nobody's answered?

p3love

ASL Acolyte
Reaction score
Country
ll
1. You posted your question in the thread that's dedicated to VASL Map Bazaar updates. A longstanding thread that's stickied for a reason.
2. You asked a question that nobody here can answer. Seems obvious that you should ask MMP, the people who license ASL.
3. Your issue is generally handled, in the VASL way, by using the VASL counters themselves.
4. Ch. K already is an ASL instruction pack. Maybe you didn't explain what you're doing well enough.

So you're surprised that nobody's answered?
1. ok
2. ok - MMP dont generally answer my emails so I take that as a yes to all my questions. If they felt strongly about it they would reply. This method has been a great help in the past with reticent folk.
3. I have tried to copy the counters but to no avail - obviously the conventional way just clones the counters - not good unless you are in the middle of a game...
4. Yes I know - I will explain what I have done/would like to do. I have the Ch K day 1 - 8 put in a ziploc. In it are also the SK boards 1 - 4 and 24 along with the counters. What I have also done is to find a representative real life picture of those counters, foxholes, L1 - L3 buildings (L3 not used but good to see any ways), Squads - American Paras, Marines, German. All the weaponry including a dissembled 60mm and 81mm Mortar. The only thing I wanted to add to that was the counter depiction next to the real life photo. Sometimes the picture is a very well made model or if not a painting. It is a wonderful pack to give to someone who has gone through the starter kits and wants to make the jump to the real/full game...

I have no reason to be surprised for a no reply because someone has indeed replied...so thanks! :)

I thought I would ask someone who is the architect of VASL - using VASL counters. Im none too sure on the copyright laws for VASL v MMP counters.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well. Given that many people have asked (and received from Rodney) permission to use VASL counters in scenario cards, I think nobody would have any problem with your using them for what you're describing. Especially if you're not charging for it - my goodness.

Anyway, that's where it stands. I think the best way is to simply take a screen shot of a map with the counters off to one side (in the white border area), then import that into a graphics program where you can cut the counters away at your leisure and paste them wherever you want.

Tom