What boardgames have you played recently?

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
How is that game?
It's a new departure for me as previously I've avoided living card games. So far, I've enjoyed playing with the basic set. I've bought some expansions but thought it best to try to beat the three core missions (quests) first.

The first quest was quite easy. The second (Journey Down the Anduin). has required some deck building experimentation after multiple failures - I've only just completed it today after 13 efforts.

It's a 1-2 player game, although I've only played it solitaire (I keep it at work and bush out a game or two in my office at lunchtimes).

I enjoy the LoTR theme, and the brevity of a typical game 45-75 minutes for me, so far. it is a little mechanical, though.

Last edited:

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Kurhaus and I played 2 introductory scenarios from 2nd Fleet over the weekend. That was enough fun that I'd like to try the intermediates
I have very fond memories of the Fleet games. Great fun - enjoy!

Paolo Cariolato

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Paolo,
I have heard great things about Panzer, what sucked about it?
Thanks to my ASL background I was ready to play 20 minutes after opening the box (advanced rules with some optionals thrown in), we played one scenario (15 turns) in less than 3 hours (so it's a quick game).

HIGHLIGHTS:

- PanzerIVG need to close (7 hexes or less) with T34/76 M43 in order to penetrate the frontal armor.
- T34/76 M43 can penetrate the PzIVG frontal turret at 14 hexes and both turret and hull at 10 hexes or less.
- 1 hit and your tank is damaged, 2nd hit and you tank is gone ... it didn't take long for the sitting T34 to dispose of my PzIV while they were closing.
- the map is 21x38 hexes.
- the off-road MP is 4MP for PzIVG and 5MP for T34 with no hindrances ...
- the 3Ci aspect is poor, basically you can always do what you want with your forces.

It doesn't look like a good game, does it? We did finish the scenario but had no fun whatsoever in the process ...

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished Turn 3 of my VITP game via PBEM tonite. The IJN left the California undamaged due to bad dice on Turn 1, two of the carrier forces rolled out for Pearl, so the California, a cruiser and and a damaged Nevada sortied out fo fight a IJN staying artound for another round in Turn 1. This went badly as the Roll was for day followed by night. The IJN sank the Saratoga and a cruiser and got a single hit on the California. The IJN I- boat misses its shot, and the 2 battlewagons send 2 of the Kido Butai to the bottom in a single salvo.

Indonesia sees the usual Prince of Whales and Repulsive sent to their watery graves, but the cruisers make it out to the IO to survive. Everyone else in the other 2 CVBGs rolling on went unopposed to central pacific to take the POC there.

Turn 2 saw a massive push by the IJN into the Central Pacific and a full scale assault to take Midway. They get on land, but lose 2 more Kido Butai Carriers and a lot of shipping to get it. Turn 3 has the Americans on the counterattack, trying to position to strike behind the Midway garrison. It looks like Turn 4 will see Allies assaulting both Rabaul and Truk, isolating Midway. This should set up the essex class CVBGs in the late game to go for the Marianas and phillipines to drive the IJN out of the pacific. We'll have to see how well this strategy works. Right now, just aiming to prevent the 29 POC by end of T4 for the IJN, so far it looks ok.

KRL, Jon H

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Was given an early birthday present from some friends of ours. The game is Shadowrift. It is something of a cross with the deck-building aspect of Dominion, the cooperative aspect of Pandemic, and the flavor of Thunderstone. We all loved it once we figured out how to play. The rulebook leaves something to be desired, but if they re-write that for a second printing (and include a setup diagram - like the one they have on BGG), they'll be OK. This one will get lots of play. I rate it a 9/10 on the Josh-o-meter. Of course, I only have ONE 10/10 game on that list. I'll let you all guess what that is...:devious:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played 'Jambo' with the GF last night. She was starting to get it, but it might be back to 'Sequence' next time.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Munchkin? :devious:

S
Actually, I'm kind of munchkin-ed out for a while. We've been playing it a lot lately with that group. They've got the main game + 4 expansions so there's a good "variety" of cards, but while it's got a special place in my heart, I have come to like other games better for "social" gaming even if people "get" the gaming references in Munchkin and we can laugh at them together. Lately, I've been much more of a Dominion and Pandemic guy, than Munchkin, although you'd never know with us playing it so much...

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From that series, have you played Lost Cities? Our fave two-player game.
Yes we just played that one also. Quick and easy to learn, not so easy to master.

Last edited:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Actually, I'm kind of munchkin-ed out for a while. We've been playing it a lot lately with that group. They've got the main game + 4 expansions so there's a good "variety" of cards, but while it's got a special place in my heart, I have come to like other games better for "social" gaming even if people "get" the gaming references in Munchkin and we can laugh at them together. Lately, I've been much more of a Dominion and Pandemic guy, than Munchkin, although you'd never know with us playing it so much...
Hunh. I've been Munchkin'd out since the one and only time I played it.

Yes we just played that one also. Quick and easy to learn, not so easy to master.
Yep. And you can make all the right plays and still "roll boxcars." :)

S

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Saturday I played Victory in the Pacific via VASL.
Simple mechanics but the rulebook is a PITA to read: no visual friendly text organisation, no ref tables or summaries...
Spent a nice time nevertheless.

Saturday afternoon, I played vs four opponents two encounters of Descent second ed.
I love that game, which is more a tactical challenge than the usual dungeon crawler, but which keeps the immersion factor quite high.

SCK40

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very much enjoying the recently released Andean Abyss which covers the brutal, long-running insurgency/lawlessness in Colombia. The game is excellent with 4 players [Government, FARC (left-wing insurgents), AUC (right-wing militias) and the Cartels (independent businessmen) ;)], and it also presents a difficult, entertaining puzzle when playing the solitaire system as the Government. It has relatively simple mechanics with play options and victory conditions that vary for each side. It plays best if you have a group that is very interactive. There is considerable depth of play, plus you get to engage in virtual drug-running, extortion, kidnapping and assassinations, as well as good old-fashioned warfare, which makes it a terrific fun for the entire family.

I've heard some complain that it can be too much 'bash the leader', as is the case with many multi-player games. I've found that there are certain gamers who grok these kinds of multi-player games while others are better suited for contests favoring more direct aggressiveness (ASL being among the latter). Anyhow, I highly recommend it if this seems like it might be up your alley.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hunh. I've been Munchkin'd out since the one and only time I played it.
Me too. It barely qualifies as a game, to me. Yeah, the jokes are worth a chuckle, sometimes even more than once. But that's not enough to make it replayable...

Been playing:
Fighting Formations
What do you think of it?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I like Munchkin a lot, if players don't take ages reading each card and playing as if in a chess contest.
The fun of the game is quite linked to the lightness of heart of the players.
It cerainly is not a game that has a lot of "depth".
Beer, casual talk, etc. are recommended additions to the game - whilst you can play ASL against a mute, robotic opponent (not that funny, but less damageable, as the game is centered on developing tactics - and stomping a hypercalculator player can generate some satisfaction, even though I would not be able to most of the time if the dice don't balance luck in my favour).

Drow

Reaction score
Was stuck in the hospital for four days, lol played of all games "Hearts" with the staff in the Heart Ward. Nicky bought in some Vampire game but seems the staff said NO,, and who ends up playing it? The staff lol.

Bill

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been playing:
Fighting Formations
Nightfall
Thunderstone
Dominion
Learning Combat Commander
What do you think of Fighting Formations? I've been wanting to get into a wargame a step higher than ASL. Panzer Grenadier didn't work out. The jury is still out on Panzer Blitz. I bought FF and looked thru the rules, but haven't played it yet.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have been introducing my girlfriend to euro games. Like ASL there's a progression of games that are a good introduction to euro gaming.

Settlers of Catan - she really liked this one. This hooks them every time. I don't care for it, because I've played it and it's cousins so many times, but this is just an excellent intro game.

Alhambra - she liked this one better than Settlers. Easy game with easy mechanics. Her 11 year old liked this one too.

Citadels - played this with 5 players. She liked his one the best so far and bought it. I tried three times to steal her gold and had a 50% chance each time, but picked wrong every time. She won.

Forbidden Island - Played this with her and her two boys. Excellent game for kids 7-12. Similar to Pandemic where everyone works together. We lost as the statue sites both sank.

Stone Age - played last night with 4 players. Both her and her son really liked it and want to play again. She vowed she would do better now that she knew what to do. Unfortunately, this game is out of print. It is one of my favorites, but it's selling for $80 and the price is rising.