What boardgames have you played recently?

bennerc

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm currently playing the full three-day scenario from Thunder at the Crossroads (Gettysburg). It's my first foray into the Gamer's Civil War brigade sceries. Before starting I thought I would be bored and only dream about playing ASL. Well, I'm not bored at all and I'm really enjoying the game, although I do dream about ASL.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been playing Descent Second edition, and I am having a blast!
I plays quickly, is tacticaly challenging, with a good immersion factor.
It is less a dungeon exploring game (you see all the map from the beginning) than a tactical skirmish game - but quest goals are not just "kill'em all" - heroes and the Overlord have different objectives.
The Overload is NOT a GM: he plays against the heroes and really is an archfiend (Muahahaaaa).
Nice. I played it recently with my twins and two of their friends. They like the detail of 1.0 better. I like the 2.0 armor rules, ease of setup, monster cards and scenarios better, but the boys like all that extra details like 1 MF to open doors, crawling out of pits, etc. I think it might have to do that we're in the middle of the Sea of Blood campaign. The campaign really brings out the strengths of Descent.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm currently playing the full three-day scenario from Thunder at the Crossroads (Gettysburg). It's my first foray into the Gamer's Civil War brigade sceries. Before starting I thought I would be bored and only dream about playing ASL. Well, I'm not bored at all and I'm really enjoying the game, although I do dream about ASL.
Sweet. I played a four player game of Seven Pines along time ago and came to appreciate that system. But, I'm just a WWII junkie at heart and could never get into Nappy, Civil War or ancients to really find an awesome system and stick to it.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Labyrinth (GMT)
Liberté (2 games) (Warfrog edition)
Puerto Rico (2 games) (Alea)

I'm waiting on my Valley Games blow-out edition of Liberté ($15.00)

BTW...Valley Games still has copies of Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage at half price
What do you think of Liberte? Have you seen the deluxe Puerto Rico version? Awesome! A gaming buddy loves PR so much he had the metal coins sent away to be plated, so they wouldn't tarnish. We now play with the first expansion all the time and add the Nobles about 50% of the time. The Nobles is my favorite expansion for PR and changes it just enough to keep it fresh.

If you like PR you should try Goa. They finally released a 2nd edition, so you don't have to pay $100+ for a copy any more.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Liberté is a very good game. Not sure which edition I've played.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Been on a bit of a solitaire buzz lately and have played:

- AH's classic Raid on St Nazaire - my score was almost off the chart (98 points and change) as the commandos took the portand its defenders apart, including sinking 4 u-boats in the pens;
- Lord of the Rings the Card Game - the second scenario, Journey along the Anduin has been kicking my ass repeatedly. 9 or 10 efforts to win have failed, so I'll continue to modify my deck;
- At the Gates of Loyang - Uwe Rosenberg's classic, the best vegetable trading game I've yet to play ;).

Also, I'll chime in on Puerto Rico - an amazing design, very much a gamer's game.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been on a bit of a solitaire buzz lately and have played:

- Lord of the Rings the Card Game - the second scenario, Journey along the Anduin has been kicking my ass repeatedly. 9 or 10 efforts to win have failed, so I'll continue to modify my deck;
- At the Gates of Loyang - Uwe Rosenberg's classic, the best vegetable trading game I've yet to play ;).
Yes, Loyang is pretty good.

However, never having played Bohnanza, what I know of it suggests it might also fit into the rather selective "vegetable trading game" category. :D In which case, from what I hear it would give Loyang a run for its money.

As for the LotRtCG, I had no idea that sucker could be played solo. Might have to pay attention to it after all!

John

Last edited:

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In between reading ASLOK updates here and watching football, I got in some good family time with a game of Settlers and a game of Ticket to Ride. Got soundly trounced by my 8 year old son in Ticket to Ride. Won't be long and he will be ready for ASL.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Paolo,

I have heard great things about Panzer, what sucked about it?

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A local friend who also bought it was also somewhat disappointed. His first post about it:
I got the new Panzer last week. The components are super! The vehicles and guns are on 1" counters, the troops and status counters are 5/8". The counters are much thicker than normal. Not quite Yaquinto Panzer thick, but more like AH in the 70's/80's thick. Oh, and the vehicle data cards are like 1mm thick. They can actually stop most small arms fire!

The game itself is what you expect. Basically MBT/IDF level with the Panzer miniatures refinements. Nothing earth shattering, but the GMT production values are certainly nice.
But in a later post he said:
When the game arrived and I tried it, I was a bit underwhelmed. Its basically the same game that I played 10 years ago, just in a spiffy new GMT package. It still contains a lot of clunky bookkeeping stuff that was in MBT 25 years ago. Sigh.
I gather it's more related to the old MBT than to the old Panzer (?).

John

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played RAILWAYS OF THE WORLD (Mexico map) last week. This week AXIS AND ALLIES...don't ask me what edition, it's beer and pretzels night Friday night ie October 12.

I have also been getting my students hooked on SETTLERS OF CATAN, and my co worker and 1 student on MEMOIR 44.

Not a bad life...

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A local friend who also bought it was also somewhat disappointed. His first post about it:

But in a later post he said:

I gather it's more related to the old MBT than to the old Panzer (?).

John
I had MBT at one time, and played Panzer back in the day. I thought this system was tank combat for engineers and had little to do with tactics of the era portrayed. It was more inor shot resolution than tactics.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
PQ17 from GMT. Arctic convoys, blocks cards and counters, hidden movement, iceflows, wolfpacks. Took a few turns to get into the flow, great historical flavour.

Bought Panzer as well, recently, surprised to read some reviews here. Reviews on BGG are extremely positive, in the main.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The Dark Tower module arrived. It was listed as Fair+ condition, but in fact it is very aged. Not surprising it was published about 35 years ago. But still, I wish it was in slightly better nick.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I played two games of DVG's solitaire Battle of the Atlantic game U-boat Leader. One to avoid, I'm afraid. Far, far too easy (especially when compared to classic solitaires like the punishing Raid on St Nazaire), lacking in tension, repetitive and ultimately charmless. After 15 patrols, I didn't even come close to losing a single u-boat, despite dispatching a very large amount of merchant marine tonnage in addition to 2 x BB, a CV and a CVE.

Played another two solitaire games of Lord of the Rings the card game yesterday. Journey Down the Anduin continues to kick my ass. If I wasn't so hardcore, I would be dispirited.

Last edited:

Michael B

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Kurhaus and I played 2 introductory scenarios from 2nd Fleet over the weekend. That was enough fun that I'd like to try the intermediates