Infiltration and leader creation

Haron

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Hello! I'm new to this forum, but have been playing ASL for decades. Looking forward to learning to know this forum.

I have a question about infiltration and leader creation. We had the following close combat situation (no ambush occured):

Attacker: 348 HS plus hero
Defender: 458 squad

The hero attacks combined with the HS at 1:1 ratio. Rolls 5, which becomes 4 with the heros modification, which should result in the defending squads elimination. However, then the squad rolls 2! Obviously eliminating the attacker, but this also results in a possible infiltration, as well as leader creation. However, the infiltration rules says that you can withdraw "...UNLESS you were previously eliminated..." or something like that. Close combat IS simultaneous, but I guess he WAS "previously eliminated" still, and can't withdraw? But if he had been the ATTACKER, he'd been able to withdraw AND eliminate his enemy? Is this correct?

In addition, he got a leader after the leader creation roll. Now, under leader creation, it says that the odds should be recalculated as if the leader had been there all the time. That would change the odds, and the "4" final result of the attacker is equal to the "to kill" number on the 1-2 odds column, resulting in casualty reduction only. Random selection got the squad K'd. So the defender got a HS and a leader surviving the CC. Is this correct? Or would he even have been able to "infiltrate" and withdraw, surviving with the entire squad?

In short, how should this situation be handled?

Thanks in advance for any replies! :)

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So the defender got a HS and a leader surviving the CC. Is this correct?
I believe this is correct. The ATTACKER has a small advantage in CC, even when it is a simultaneous situation.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
...So the defender got a HS and a leader surviving the CC. Is this correct?...
Looks correct to me, and I also think that the surviving HS + newly-created-leader has to option to Withdraw (due to the Infiltration).

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks correct to me, and I also think that the surviving HS + newly-created-leader has to option to Withdraw (due to the Infiltration).
I'm no ASLRBH, but if they withdraw, wouldn't they have to forgo their attack against the enemy?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm no ASLRBH, but if they withdraw, wouldn't they have to forgo their attack against the enemy?
The CC DR of 2 counts both for an attack and allowing the withdrawal of the attacking unit (if not already eliminated), per A11.22.

JR