THe Olympics

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So, it's late on a Saturday. I've a few drinks in me and... The South Sydney Rabittohs are masquerading as the Australian women's basketball team.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Loved the way the commentators studiously avoided mentioning the black eye on one of the British girls. We were totally outclassed there and I don't think the Aussies ate even Ine of the bigger teams!

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I listened to a bit of it in the radio and the (admittedly Aussie) commentators suggested that there was a fair bit of biffo from both sides

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Every British performance I've seen (ie. almost all of them) have been piss poor so far.
Watched the women archers this morning....leading by five at half time against Russian.
Second half...fired a 6 and a 4 towards the end.....game over.
I can't understand why we, as a nation, pay for these people to stay away from work and train in these minority sports year upon year.
We're pumping money into mediocrity instead of focusing on those sports we are good at, those we have good chances of medalling at, such as rowing, cycling, sailing, and certain individual sportspersons.
Those girls who annoyed me supremely have trained 4 years to fire a 4 in an Olympic final.
Rubbish

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Every British performance I've seen (ie. almost all of them) have been piss poor so far.
Watched the women archers this morning....leading by five at half time against Russian.
Second half...fired a 6 and a 4 towards the end.....game over.
I can't understand why we, as a nation, pay for these people to stay away from work and train in these minority sports year upon year.
We're pumping money into mediocrity instead of focusing on those sports we are good at, those we have good chances of medalling at, such as rowing, cycling, sailing, and certain individual sportspersons.
Those girls who annoyed me supremely have trained 4 years to fire a 4 in an Olympic final.
Rubbish
We can't win them all... Also most of the money is lottery based, as I understand...

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My present favourite

[video=youtube;QsMmSG7C0OQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsMmSG7C0OQ&feature=related[/video]

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I do love the Olympics.
It's nice to see Canada doing well, but I really get a kick seeing underdogs winning, and medals being awarded to athletes from unexpected places. Yesterday, the announcers were all about the big 4x100 swimming relay and whether Australia or the US would take it. And it went to France. Or seeing the Uzbekistan and Belgium take bronze medals in Judo. It makes the whole business seem better than a big money-making machine.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Personnally can't stand the olympics. I think that the money wasted on this event could be used for something more useful, oh like
fixing up our hospitals or helping homeless people get off the street, or help drug addicts etc. Oh it creates a few jobs and some money for the economy , but in the long run we have to pay debt from the dam things off for decades. China spent 43 billion on thier olympics, but what about the majority of thier population. or in Brazil for the world cup where the government torched the slum areas. Hmmmmm oh by the way maam we are going to burn your home down to make way for a bigger stadium oh by the way you can't watch the games because they are too expensive. All they are for is the elite and the amusement of the atheletes. I say cancel the damn things and spend the money where it should be helping those who are having troubles themselves.

Shane

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Right in the middle of a global recession comes this pageant. I'm loving it for the most part.

Disappointment where expected winds aren't coming in for the Brits, Lithuania has a gold, we don't yet but then I'm loving the fact that Germany hasn't won any medals. The schadenfreude almost makes up for it.

Then there was the Bronze for the Gymnastics team. Incredible. Historically we've been shite. There is where the lottery money was well spent Martin!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Disappointment where expected winds aren't coming in for the Brits, Lithuania has a gold, we don't yet but then I'm loving the fact that Germany hasn't won any medals. The schadenfreude almost makes up for it.
In Ireland, a common phrase is "I don't mind who wins, as long as it's not the English". :D
I am sure similar occurs between the Serbs and Croats.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Then there was the Bronze for the Gymnastics team. Incredible. Historically we've been shite. There is where the lottery money was well spent Martin!
Bronze isn't winning....
It's the glory of the mediocre
I hate it

It's a bit like shoving a thousand pounds on a thoroughbred which has never won anything but is expected to place and it only shows....It's done well....but your still gonna be pissed off.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Bronze isn't winning....
It's the glory of the mediocre
I hate it

It's a bit like shoving a thousand pounds on a thoroughbred which has never won anything but is expected to place and it only shows....It's done well....but your still gonna be pissed off.
For someone who practically wallows in a love of mediocracy with the footy team you follow you seem to have no soul. 100 years since we last medaled..

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personnally can't stand the olympics. I think that the money wasted on this event could be used for something more useful, oh like
fixing up our hospitals or helping homeless people get off the street, or help drug addicts etc. Oh it creates a few jobs and some money for the economy , but in the long run we have to pay debt from the dam things off for decades. China spent 43 billion on thier olympics, but what about the majority of thier population. or in Brazil for the world cup where the government torched the slum areas. Hmmmmm oh by the way maam we are going to burn your home down to make way for a bigger stadium oh by the way you can't watch the games because they are too expensive. All they are for is the elite and the amusement of the atheletes. I say cancel the damn things and spend the money where it should be helping those who are having troubles themselves.

Shane

There's always one 'I love to piss in the punch bowl' in every group. Yup, all sports should be banned. No movies, no concerts, no form of entertainment.... EVER. It should all go to the poor and homeless.

Sheesh.