Announcing the 2012 GameSquad Chess Invitational

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 36474

It's that time of the year again....

Details

Big change this year: this will be a Chess960 tournament! If you haven't tried Chess960 before, don't panic! It's just like traditional chess, but just with a randomized starting position. This is a good thing as it helps even out the competition - those players with advanced opening preparation no longer possess a significant advantage (I actually beat Lurker, GS's three time chess champion, in a game of 960! :eek:). If you want to take a look at the rules of Chess960 (again, not really necessary if you are already familiar with chess - only castling is slightly tweaked), please visit here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess960

Other details: this will be a one round, double round robin tournament with a 14-day time control. The tourney will be conducted over at Chess.com. This will be an invitational event ONLY! This tourney will have a maximum of 12 players (but no minimum) with 181 points available. Vacation time is allowed.

What You Need to Do

If you are interested in joining, all you need to do is register for a free account over at Chess.com. Once registered, send me (PM) or post your Chess.com handle here (i.e., mine is RooksBailey) so I can send you an invite to the tourney. Slots will be filled on a first come, first served basis! Tourney will begin on August 1.
That's all there is to it! Good luck and have fun! :toast:

Player List

• RooksBailey
  • Lurker88
  • Crusader Rabbit
  • BevanBraves
  • Vecht
  • dwardzala

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just made a blog posting to help spread the word. If worse comes to worse, I will make a posting on Armchair General too, since our two sites have a lot of cross-fertilization.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Man, the 960 angle is really killing us this year. :D

It's only the opening that is different, after all. :) What can I do to get you on board? What if I sing One Night in Bangkok for you? :D

Lurker

Reaction score
I'd interested to join but I really don't like chess960 :OHNO:
I'm curious what it is exactly that players don't like about it? :hmmm:

It's the same game same moves but without memorized openings. Thus we are all on a more level playing field.:nofear:

Live a little and get daring!! What's the worst that can happen? :coolban::headbang::joy::clap:

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm torn. I want to play in the tourny, i'm not sold on 960. I'd give 960 a go but its just ... different. I dont want to waste my time on 8 or 12 games i might not like.

I'm also away for the next 3 weeks. And have no idea if i should sign up for when i'm back.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
OK, I'm in. I'll give it a go. I'm back on line around July 16th. I'm bevanbraves at chess.com.

Blind Sniper

Diversamente magro...
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Sorry but really don't like this way to play chess, I played some games and I quickly understand that is not for my taste :)

Lurker

Reaction score
Sorry but really don't like this way to play chess, I played some games and I quickly understand that is not for my taste :)
Got it. But the question, to satisfy my curiosity, is what is it exactly that you do not like? Do you prefer the set knowledge of openings and what to expect next? Or is it something else?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, I'm in. I'll give it a go. I'm back on line around July 16th. I'm bevanbraves at chess.com.
Great!

Believe me when I say that Chess960 plays just like regular chess, especially once you get to the middle game (by the middle game it is almost impossible to tell that the game began as a 960 match instead of a traditional set-up. I often have to rewind the game to the beginning to remind myself whether or not it began as a 960 game). And the initial randomized position makes for some interesting and refreshing opening opportunities. I think you'll like it.

Lurker

Reaction score
Great!

Believe me when I say that Chess960 plays just like regular chess, especially once you get to the middle game (by the middle game it is almost impossible to tell that the game began as a 960 match instead of a traditional set-up. I often have to rewind the game to the beginning to remind myself whether or not it began as a 960 game). And the initial randomized position makes for some interesting and refreshing opening opportunities. I think you'll like it.
Right!
And if you play standard chess against someone much more familiar with the openings, or the opening you are currently playing, you can be lost in the beginning without even knowing it. In 960 it is a matter of applying opening principles and not opening memorization.
I can honestly say that in some of the GS tournament games I felt that the game was won after the first 7 to 10 moves because of my familiarity with the line. Can't say that in 960!

Blind Sniper

Diversamente magro...
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Got it. But the question, to satisfy my curiosity, is what is it exactly that you do not like? Do you prefer the set knowledge of openings and what to expect next? Or is it something else?
Oh no, I'm an amateur player, my openings knowledgment is pretty poor, simply I don't like the Chess960 randomness, I prefer the standard start position.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh no, I'm an amateur player, my openings knowledgment is pretty poor, simply I don't like the Chess960 randomness, I prefer the standard start position.
Agree totally. Chess has benn around 2000 years with the standard opening position. Like throwing counters around on the ASL map and calling it turn 5 and picking up from there. No thanks....You want to make it different play 5 minute or blitz, to me the other is an abhoration..:paperbag:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agree totally. Chess has benn around 2000 years with the standard opening position. Like throwing counters around on the ASL map and calling it turn 5 and picking up from there.
:D

It's funny, a few years back there was an ASL guy who used to pop up and criticize chess for its standard opening. He said it was like playing the same ASL scenario over and over again. Now I try to promote Chess960, and I get the criticism that it abandons the standard set-up! :mad: You can't win! :D

All I can say is that I shared your opinion for a long while until I actually played a few games of 960. Then I realized that but for the opening, it was exactly the same as traditional chess. And the randomized opening made for a nice change of pace. Currently my classical chess / chess960 gameplay ratio is 60% - 40%. I still prefer traditional chess just because I am a traditionalist as heart, but Chess960 makes for a nice change of pace. It also is our fire exit in the event that some computer nerd eventually solves the traditional game. :D

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Up to five! Vecht is new to Chess.com - met him during a live game. He is a strong player, so you might have some competition, Lurker! :)