What boardgames have you played recently?

JMcL63

Reservist, Class of '85
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hello!

Played 1989 over the weekend, GMTs new CDG covering the end of the cold war. It was fun, though I like the narrative of Twilight Struggle better.

Peace

Roger
How do 1989 and TS compare in terms of tension levels? I find TS agonising, so it'd be interesting if 1989 played similarly but was a bit less fraught.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jamaica - a pirate racing game, looks like it'd appeal to my youngest (7yo)
Pandemic - I like the look of that one to be honest, looks like something my 11yo would like
Or any others?

Ian
Played both ; Jamaica is great for the younger set, or even as a 'warm up'

Pandemic- great game, great concept- but I kind of feel like I'm in a meeting at work when I play it.:nuts:

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finished in Top Eight (sixth specifically) in the recent NYC Game of Thrones LCG Regioanl Championship (out of 32 players).

Its the only "collectible" card game I still play - because they captured the feel of the novels so well. it has been picking up in popularity since the HBO series gave the property wider exposure.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Phantom Fury. 3rd Marine division clearing an area of Fallujah. Solitaire game from 'Nuts! Publishing'

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Phantom Fury. 3rd Marine division clearing an area of Fallujah. Solitaire game from 'Nuts! Publishing'
What's your impression? I read the book 'House to House' about that battle (though US Army unit) so this game looked interesting.

ironmike1944

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played both ; Jamaica is great for the younger set, or even as a 'warm up'

Pandemic- great game, great concept- but I kind of feel like I'm in a meeting at work when I play it.:nuts:
:blab: Playing a Non-ASL Game, (It Is Verbotten! Ya! :blab:

Drow

Reaction score
Playing other games keeps my mind open for new scenario ideas.
I think you have really hit the mark here, I don't know about anyone else, but after playing other games, it makes me realize just how much fun ASL is and want to get up a game..
Bill

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What's your impression? I read the book 'House to House' about that battle (though US Army unit) so this game looked interesting.
Difficult to give any sort of definitive answer after one playing. The system beat me quite convincingly. Some nice tactical nuances, Cobra gunships, airstrikes, UAV recces, snipers, IEDs Abrams tanks. Holy sites, Iraqi army units.

As the USMC player you move forward and as you clear and move adjacent to buildings you place suspect 'counters' that may be nothing, IED/Sniper, Martyr unit or Guerilla unit of a randomly determined strength.

Crossing a road is risky, firing at suspect units may generate return fire. Using 'flooding' tactics for clearing buildings is included as is leaving security elements when you enter a building.

Points are scored for eliminating guerilla units, you get nothing for martyrs. Plus you need to clear the board (60+ buildings) in 16 turns. Losing friendlies is heavily penalised as you would expect.

Rules are a little jumbled and for the first few turns I was constantly referring to the book, even after reading it 4 or 5 times before I started.

Took around 4 hours over several sessions to complete.

If you have read a book on the subject you will probably find it worth picking a copy up. 'Nuts!' are relatively small publisher so i doubt there will ever be a re-print once stocks run out.

map is functional, clearly taken from a aerial photo but blown up to such an extebt that the images are blurred. I thought that may be a problem but it wasn't. Counters are very nice indeed.

Cheers

Paul

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Played two games of 1989 the last two Saturdays.

Fun, but I like the narrative of Twlight Struggle better.

Peace

Roger

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Took Monday off and went to Seattle for 4 days to play games. I played:

ASL - my first FB scenario
Ora et Labora - love it
Homesteaders - quick and easy filler game

ASL - another FB scenario
Castles of Burgandy - love it, although our first playing took over 3 hours
Pret de Protege - meh, chick game about fashion and making dresses

ASL - finished up scenario #2.
Basketball - Traveled 4.5 hours from Seattle to Spokane, had my gym bag packed and made it just in time to play.

Head back to Seattle on Thursday for three more days of ASL at the Enfilade tournament.

Life is good.

Last edited:

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ESG + one old friend played History of the World.

Great fun!

I was losing, but had a chance to win on the last Epoch when I got Great Britain with a good dispersal of previous empires. However I couldn't make up the 73 points I was behind.

The sap who got stuck with the Aztecs and Mayans on a passed card still managed to eke out a victory. He rode out well the advantage of getting the Romans earlier.

Last edited:

Drow

Reaction score
Replayed the first game of the 1975(BLM baseball game ) baseball season, Los Angles at Cincinnati, Dodgers won 2 to 1 I really must get a life :nuts:
Bill