Russian Civil War playtest

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
There isn't a comprehensive scenario covering this quite complicated war: I'm working on a corps/division scale version in two week turns covering from the start of 1919 to mid-1921. This includes the period from the consolidation of the White and Nationalist counter-revolutionary forces and their 'Moscow offensive' through the gradual withdrawal of the Allied Interventionist armies and the final Bolshevik offensive against Poland.

Jason's playtesting with me: these thumbnails show the situation in September 1919 - historically the Whites had begun to crumble and most of the Interventionists had withdrawn.

On the Northwestern Front the Bolsheviks have occupied Estonia and the Latvian capital Riga. Lithuanian and Latvian units are still holding the line of the River Daugava. The Poles have just recaptured Minsk, isolating one Red corps. The French, Greeks, Serbs and US have already withdrawn but the British Royal Navy and a couple of brigades are still in action.

In the south the Poles hold Kiev, and the troops of the two Ukrainian Republics are defending the southern line of the River Dneiper against mixed Bolshevik and Anarchist units. Deniken's main White armies in the south are defending the Don, with Baron Wrangel occupying Donetsk, but strong Bolshevik forces are edging round their right flank towards the White capital Ekaterindor. The Caucasian republics are still independent, although small Red cavalry regiments are approaching Azerbaijan and Georgia.

In the east both Admiral Kolchak's Whites and the other Siberians are maintaining their foothold over the Urals but several large Bolshevik armies are converging on Ekaterinburg. You can just see the British Dvina flotilla looking fairly lonely on the river.

Haven't bothered showing the north, but Miller's Whites comfortably hold both Archangel and Murmansk. However their push, in tandem with the British, against St Petersburg has stalled and a retreat north will have to start soon. The Bolsheviks haven't, so far, taken the TO to declare war on Finland (which they didn't until WWII).

This is about a quarter of the way through the scenario and still counts as a White/Nationalist marginal victory (it starts as a significant victory).

Welcome any questions or comments.

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
One comment - you might want to post this over on the matrix forums too - it seems to be more active over there, and there is a pleasing number of newish scenarios emerging over there too which is very encouraging.

For my part, I would say that this is a very enjoyable scenario. Its definately not for panzer pushers but as an historical study its great and gives you a little bit of an idea about one of the less studied conflicts in history.

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Following numerous changes I've posted this as a completed scenario in the downloads area. Still essentially the same as described above, but a lot of tweaks covering both historical events and scenario balance.

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How dare you go out and publish a scenario about some obscure war no one's ever heard of and leave that prized beauty EA in the hands of some NOOB!