Ea 2012

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
First. I'm not back.
Second. I apologise to everyone for dropping off and not saying anything. This was extraordinarily inconsiderate of me and I have felt bad about the whole of this last year or so.
Third. It would appear that 3.4 has made the defender much more daunting. Therefore, in addition to the few changes I got done after my HDD crash and before I dropped off, I have made most of the changes that Secadegas suggested.
If we can get enough people play-testing this quickly, then, maybe in six months, we can have an idea of whether the balance is at all restored/improved.

I can't make any promises about my activity going forward, as the situation that caused me to leave in the first place has not changed, but I sincerely would like to stick around to make gradual improvements to what is an amazing scenario (after all I have a list of improvements I wanted to make).

Attached you will find the scenario.
Below you will find the changes. One of the changes I really wanted to make was to improve the briefing. I hope to include these recent changes in a much-improved briefing soon.

Done
Deploy 15th Army Group in ‘42.
Reason: We’re missing 15th Army Group.

Reorganize the Canadian Army.
Reason: It is poorly represented in EA, arrives later than it should have, and part of it is, for some reason, tied to US involvement.

Implementation:
Jan ’40 : Deploy 1st Canadian Infantry Division. (The point being that the Canadians would have been around, if the Germans had invaded in ’40.
Jan ’41 : Disband/Withdraw 1st Canadian Infantry Division.
Feb ’41 : Deploy I CND Corps, at half strength (to represent 2nd CND Division. 1st CND Division will be absorbed, if it hasn’t been used up earlier).
Aug ’41 : Deploy II CND Corps, at half strength (to represent 3rd CND Division. Another (British) Division will be absorbed, if available).
Aprl ’42 : Deploy 1st CND Army.
Jan ’43 : Deploy 4th CND Arm Division.
Feb ’43 : Deploy 5th CND Arm Division.
Also, give I and II CND Corps the same TO&E. It would appear that I Corps currently represents 1 Inf Div + accompaniment, while II Corps represents 2 Divs + accompaniment. Since it is abstracted at the scale of EA, I would say both could represent 2 Divs, as outlined above.

Added a limit to Sea Assaults in the Artic Ocean (Petsamo-Murmansk-Arckangelsk).
Reason: Eh, Mark and I thought it a good idea.
Implementation: Set it at 1,000 tons/turn.

MRPB
Reason: Essentially, with a scenario like this your forced to either not attack (or at least attack more lightly) in less important areas like North Africa (or less important sectors of the western or eastern fronts) or face a good chance you'll burn your turn and F up big important battles in main areas...
The MRPB of 3 ensures you don't end up having your entire turn burned from one attack that, for whatever reason, saw neither side break off from combat.
Implementation: Set it to ‘3’.

Create 5th Panzer Armee, and make it a Sandy colour
Reason: The Germans moved the 10th Panzer and 334th Infantry Divison to Tunis, for a last stand.
Implementation: Create 5th Panzer Armee (Sandy): Does not reconstitute
Create 10th Panzer Div (Sandy): Does not reconstitute
Create 334th Infantry Division: Does not reconstitute
Mark and I both really liked this idea.
Deploys in Tunis when the Allies capture either the Mareth Line or Algiers.

Replace Sea Supply Roads with Sps, modify current SP level of some current SPs.
This has been changed since my original change. Details can be found here.

Based on suggestions recently posted and generally agreed to, the following global adjustments have been made. Play-testing will tell if they are enough.

Balance adjustments:
Entrenchment Rate set to 80, from 100
Enemy hex Conversion set to 80, from 100
Attrition Divider set to 8, from 10.

Changes by Mark now incorporated:
Riga (rather than Kovno) new surrender locale for Baltic forces.
Rail Repair for both sides at 6.
Fixed issue where TO to resume offensive against Paris/France appears despite Paris falling.
Corrected the TO to raise extra forces in the 1930s not disappearing.

Last edited:

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
Veers,

It's great to hear from you and I hope you are keeping well.

Thanks for the update.

Best wishes,
Steve

arclight

Reaction score
Good to see you again, Wyatt. Hope all is well (or, well enough...), and to see you more frequently. Wishing you health, good fortune, and fair winds.

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
I'm trully glad to hear from you again

If we can get enough people play-testing this quickly, then, maybe in six months, we can have an idea of whether the balance is at all restored/improved.
There are already a good number of experienced people willing to test :supper:
You can count on fast feedback, for sure.

I can't make any promises about my activity going forward, as the situation that caused me to leave in the first place has not changed, but I sincerely would like to stick around to make gradual improvements to what is an amazing scenario (after all I have a list of improvements I wanted to make).
There is a small but commited EA community. Not a surprise as it's a really amazing scenario.
Please do your utmost to stay connected as a lot depends on you.

Last edited:

sapper32

Reaction score
Country
ll
Great to see some involvment from you Veers any thing that gets this superb scenario working again will be fantastic i for one am more than willing to playtest the upgraded scenario.

Ian

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Veers

Just for the record... the updated version (EA 2012) you posted is based on a previous version before the "generally accepted" rail amendment (to 6 hex's/turn) + Riga supply point and Balts' surrender town. It also doesn't have the latest modifications Mark did on phase II of Battle of France.

Nevertheless, IMO, this shouldn't stop people from testing Polish and French campaign right away

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Veers

Just for the record... the updated version (EA 2012) you posted is based on a previous version before the "generally accepted" rail amendment (to 6 hex's/turn) + Riga supply point and Balts' surrender town. It also doesn't have the latest modifications Mark did on phase II of Battle of France.

Nevertheless, IMO, this shouldn't stop people from testing Polish and French campaign right away
To all: Give me one week for a new version before you start (if you haven't already).

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just wanted to let you all know that I have not disappeared yet. :)

As Mark said in another thread, sometimes the second offensive option for Germany, against France, disappears with the fall of Paris and sometimes it does not.
I am currently working with him to see if we can come up with a better solution.

Hope to have his recent changes included soon.

EDIT: Also, forgot to thank all for the well wishes.
Thanks guys! :)

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
OK, new version (same name) now uploaded. This should now include Mark's recent changes.
For now I'll leave version TOAW III (c) as the official release until I can get some feedback on this version.
In the future, further changes will be denoted by the addition of a letter, i.e. Europe Aflame 2012a.
If anyone playtesting could send me feedback (END_OF_TURN save and some written thoughts [if you'd like]) to v e e r s w g m a i l c o m after completion of the Polish campaign and then again after completion of the French campaign with your thoughts on the balance of the campaigns I can compile said feedback to see if I've done enough to balance EA against TOAW III's latest improvements. I'll be pretty unavail from now until April 14/15 as I have this semester's finals on that weekend.
Happy gaming!

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
nice to see you here Veers... and while I'm not involved in EA, your values and locations for %SP locations can finally help me determine where to put them in my update for my 3.4 update of Europa 1947, which is currently undergoing testing...

vodkaferret

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
OK, new version (same name) now uploaded. This should now include Mark's recent changes.
For now I'll leave version TOAW III (c) as the official release until I can get some feedback on this version.
In the future, further changes will be denoted by the addition of a letter, i.e. Europe Aflame 2012a.
If anyone playtesting could send me feedback (END_OF_TURN save and some written thoughts [if you'd like]) to v e e r s w g m a i l c o m after completion of the Polish campaign and then again after completion of the French campaign with your thoughts on the balance of the campaigns I can compile said feedback to see if I've done enough to balance EA against TOAW III's latest improvements.
Happy gaming!
Dumbass question time (apologies in advance). Is this meant to be played with the new turn order & new supply rules on or off?

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Dumbass question time (apologies in advance). Is this meant to be played with the new turn order & new supply rules on or off?
That's actually a great question, and something I should have clarified.
This is meant to be played with the New Turn Order and New Supply Rules both on.

EDIT: I have also now cleared out some of my private messages. :)

Last edited:

Lou

Event Engineer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Ea 2012 and Sweden

:stirthepot:

Not from the 2012 version, but spotted no differences in the event chain. Then again it is 0215 local.

Russia declares war on Finland. In the process Sweden mobilizes to provide Aid.
Finland eventually surrenders. Sweden is left at war with Russia (allies).
Russia declines to go yondering in Sweden. After all the Germans will be coming. Units need to be resupplied and repositioned. Germany decides to invade Norway from Sweden. Problem – Exclusion Zone 2 blocks said invasion.

Some possible solutions – but not all of them.

A -- 5 hex radius of Helsinki, Ceasefire. Theater option & news string no effect.
Russia gets the disputed area of Finland. Finland mobilized but inactive like Greece and Yugoslavia. Normal events again apply.

B -- Finland surrenders after Sweden mobilized. Ceasefire, Swedish unit retreats to Sweden. Theater option & news string no effect Sweden mobilized but inactive like Greece and Yugoslavia. Normal events again apply.

C -- Different solution, Germany is restricted from entering Sweden, unless Sweden is mobilized. Exclusion Zone 2 is removed from Sweden. Recurring events places and removes a BLOCKADE UNIT in Hex 129,22 each winter closing the pass

NOTES
Both ceasefires are Russian (Allied only) options. Options last for 2 turns only.
If Russia enters Sweden, Axis must declare war on Russia if sending German troops to Sweden. After a Swedish Ceasefire, Germany is restricted to 3 Inf Corps and any (unlimited) divisions, but no SS units of any flavor in Sweden. Restrictions removed when war with Russia begins.

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal

Not from the 2012 version, but spotted no differences in the event chain. Then again it is 0215 local.

Russia declares war on Finland. In the process Sweden mobilizes to provide Aid.
Finland eventually surrenders. Sweden is left at war with Russia (allies).
Russia declines to go yondering in Sweden. After all the Germans will be coming. Units need to be resupplied and repositioned. Germany decides to invade Norway from Sweden. Problem – Exclusion Zone 2 blocks said invasion.

Some possible solutions – but not all of them.

A -- 5 hex radius of Helsinki, Ceasefire. Theater option & news string no effect.
Russia gets the disputed area of Finland. Finland mobilized but inactive like Greece and Yugoslavia. Normal events again apply.

B -- Finland surrenders after Sweden mobilized. Ceasefire, Swedish unit retreats to Sweden. Theater option & news string no effect Sweden mobilized but inactive like Greece and Yugoslavia. Normal events again apply.

C -- Different solution, Germany is restricted from entering Sweden, unless Sweden is mobilized. Exclusion Zone 2 is removed from Sweden. Recurring events places and removes a BLOCKADE UNIT in Hex 129,22 each winter closing the pass

NOTES
Both ceasefires are Russian (Allied only) options. Options last for 2 turns only.
If Russia enters Sweden, Axis must declare war on Russia if sending German troops to Sweden. After a Swedish Ceasefire, Germany is restricted to 3 Inf Corps and any (unlimited) divisions, but no SS units of any flavor in Sweden. Restrictions removed when war with Russia begins.
I see you point.

However i think you're complicating something that's much more simple.

1) Politically, even in the case of Swedish reluctant mobilization against Soviets, i think Sweden wouldn't favour a German invasion of "sister" neutral Norway from its territory. So exclusion zone 2 it isn't a real problem.

2) Strategically at that time (just before German / Soviet war) both armies are more concerned with each other. Germans probably have other more important options on the table: situation on the Mediterranean, Balkans or even France. And Norway/Denmark can be easily invaded earlier on a direct attack. So again exclusion zone 2 isn't an issue.

3) Ceasefire affects all theatres of operations. Don't you think it's a bit radical to impose ceasefire all over to "solve" a rather minor "problem"?

I also checked the event's list and found that Swedish army mobilization can be locked due to US entry. However the activation of the Expeditionary corps isn't cancelled by US entry and is only connected with Allied (Soviet) approach of Helsinki. Please note that Allies still have the option of declare war on Sweden even after Sweden Expeditionary corps is activated.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Historically, as we all know, the Soviets got chunks of Finland in the peace treaty and the Soviets and Finns didn't fight again till the invasion in '41.
As stands in EA, whoever is winning the Winter War maintains the choice of whether to stop or continue it. This gives the Soviets (assumed to win) the option to create a 'de facto' peace treaty with the Fins either by simply stopping attacks and digging in or by communicating with their opponent to 'broker' a cease fire between the two nations.
I like how it is now. It gives a little more freedom for both sides. Historically, it seems, the Fins were more than happy to break their peace treaty, and the current system allows them to do so at will (even before German intervention). It further allows the two sides to draw different cease-fire borders than there were historically (and isn't different, but historical, what we're going for with this scenario? :)), through a brokered peace.

Now, in the case of Sweden following the surrender of Finland the same options (of continuation, 'de facto' peace or 'brokered' peace) remain in play.

Historically, the Fins did NOT allow invasions of the Soviet Union by German troops from Norway during the June 21st invasion. The Fins, themselves, didn't get going until July, either. I figure it's safe to assume that, as Secadegas suggests, the Swedes would not allow German invasions of Norway from Swedish territory either (at least not at the beginning).

Given my above notes, the only change I really see a need for would be one to prevent the Swedish Expeditionary Force from deploying after the entry of the US or even with the beginning of German-Soviet hostilities. However, I am always open to continued debate. :popc1:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
nice to see you here Veers... and while I'm not involved in EA, your values and locations for %SP locations can finally help me determine where to put them in my update for my 3.4 update of Europa 1947, which is currently undergoing testing...
Though it's always had too many units for me to manage I have always loved this scenario, Silvain. Keep up the good work. :)

Lou

Event Engineer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

“Ceasefire. Theater option & news string no effect”

I think too fast, type too slow, and fail to explain adequately if I remember to do so.
The ceasefire/news string is used to document a defacto understanding in the news. This is not a global event. Some of my play testers suspend games for months at a time. Having the news events refresh memory when they resume has proven useful. Could be useful for PBM games also.

Then again Wargamers are smarter than Boxers, who have to be told to defend themselves at all times

Lou

Event Engineer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Event 510 activated by event 82, activates event 1.
Event 1 is a cease fire event.
--
Something is wrong with Poland.
Going for EC, Allied polish forces remain on map.
--
Allies Yugo Partisans
YU irregulars, event 94, enters 87,86.
Location is major river, Unit will never deploy as missing ferry equipment.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Event 510 activated by event 82, activates event 1.
Event 1 is a cease fire event.
--
Something is wrong with Poland.
Going for EC, Allied polish forces remain on map.
--
Allies Yugo Partisans
YU irregulars, event 94, enters 87,86.
Location is major river, Unit will never deploy as missing ferry equipment.
Thanks Lou. I'll check this as soon as I get a chance.

EDIT: If anyone else sees any issues with the events in EA, feel free to speak let me know. :laugh:

Last edited: