New members introduce yourself here

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi everyone, I just started playing ASL again. Been learning the rules over the past few months. I played SL back in the late seventies and was really into it. However, by the time ASL came around I had other interests.... It is great to find such an active group of players in this age of computers. I played West Front/East Front/Campaign Series for years on the PC. Now I am getting back to the roots of wargaming. I have even found a group of guys up here in Vermont to play with. I think I will be signing up for the Nor'easter, just to see what it is like at a tourney. Looking forward to playing this great game and meeting the great people who play it!

Smedley(Rob)

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi everyone, I just started playing ASL again. Been learning the rules over the past few months. I played SL back in the late seventies and was really into it. However, by the time ASL came around I had other interests.... It is great to find such an active group of players in this age of computers. I played West Front/East Front/Campaign Series for years on the PC. Now I am getting back to the roots of wargaming. I have even found a group of guys up here in Vermont to play with. I think I will be signing up for the Nor'easter, just to see what it is like at a tourney. Looking forward to playing this great game and meeting the great people who play it!

Smedley(Rob)
Well enjoy it Rob, good place to hang if your into ASL

Ian

Browning

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello everyone. Like many here years ago I cut my teeth on Squad Leader then stepped up to ASL. After accumlating a fairly nice collection I hit a wargaming dry period and after a few years I foolishly decided to sell my entire ASL collection on eBay. So now I'm starting from square 1 and from what I hear that's not a bad thing. :) Well, almost except that I've been reading about the Battle of the Bulge and now I have this NEED to play the US only to discover that Yanks is out of print. :angry:

Oh well...Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are ASL collections.

Last edited:

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello everyone. Like many here years ago I cut my teeth on Squad Leader then stepped up to ASL. After accumlating a fairly nice collection I hit a wargaming dry period and after a few years I foolishly decided to sell my entire ASL collection on eBay. So now I'm starting from square 1 and from what I hear that's not a bad thing. :) Well, almost except that I've been reading about the Battle of the Bulge and now I have this NEED to play the US only to discover that Yanks is out of print. :angry:

Oh well...Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are ASL collections.
Oh all the out of print mods, Yanks is the easiest and one of the lowest priced to get hold of. Just keep an eye on e-bay, post that you want it and go from there

iAN

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland

Browning

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That was a fantastic idea thanks Swift but the prices there scared me. I'm looking for a copy to play with not an investment.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The prices are high, I agree
But nowadays, you have non OOP ASL third party products that cost past 100$.
Even at the prices listed on BGG, Yanks stilloffers a good "bang per buck" ratio.
If I were in need to get my hand on that module, I would pay "the price of my impatience", rather than wait for a reprint which will occur in, say, five years...

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The prices are high, I agree
But nowadays, you have non OOP ASL third party products that cost past 100$.
Even at the prices listed on BGG, Yanks stilloffers a good "bang per buck" ratio.
If I were in need to get my hand on that module, I would pay "the price of my impatience", rather than wait for a reprint which will occur in, say, five years...
5 years? I think I just heard the cost of Yanks go up a notch LOL

ian

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That was a fantastic idea thanks Swift but the prices there scared me. I'm looking for a copy to play with not an investment.
Having just looked at the prices on Geek I would say they are at this point over priced. I've given two copies away in the last 18 months, one to a shite that did not even say thankyou!!! Kids of today!!

The other over the weekend to a friend who lost everything to a fire. I have no quarms at all about number two but now wish I had copy 1 back!!!!

I'm thinking $80 is a fair price at the moment. Italy always seems to have peeps asking silly money for ASL gear, don't know why

Ian

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I think potential bidders should consider that reprint modules such as Yanks will likely cost in the region of $90 dollars in any event. Anything above that is the price of having the module now, as oppposed to in 2-3 years (which I think is a likely reprint timescale). Examined from that perspective, $140 for Yanks isn't too bad.

I would pay it.

Browning

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ian, is he a big kid? :D

I appreciate the help and input people. My need is directly connected to my wallet and my wallet agrees with Ian in that $80 is a fair price. I can't rationalize paying $150 for a supplement now then buying it again in the near future. Right now I have an item in the trade / for sale section so hopefully I'll get a nibble on it and if not I'll go back to searching for it on eBay. Thanks again.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rumor is that Yanks and CdG will be combined into one module. Price will probably push $100 or more. $80 for Yanks alone would not be that bad considering the Amis are one of the major opponents in ASL. Hopefully it wont take 5yrs for a reprint, newbies need access to this module now.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hopefully it wont take 5yrs for a reprint, newbies need access to this module now.
I hope too, but I have serious doubts.
The time that Rising Sun is taking to be published could be an indication, as in the case of the Yanks and CdG common module, all printing files will have to be redone from scrap.
It is not just like giving orders to the printer for a reprint, having all the files ready.
Not whining here. Just trying to take the measure of the production problematics that MMP do face.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are the Amis represented jn SK? If so you could buy the boards indivdually and get copys of the scenarios and you could maybe play some of them. I know that sounds desperate but it would be less of an investment till the new module came out.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
There are Americans in the SKs.
But the best way to play with them would be VASL (even though chapter H would still be needed in many cases).

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ian, is he a big kid? :D

I appreciate the help and input people. My need is directly connected to my wallet and my wallet agrees with Ian in that $80 is a fair price. I can't rationalize paying $150 for a supplement now then buying it again in the near future. Right now I have an item in the trade / for sale section so hopefully I'll get a nibble on it and if not I'll go back to searching for it on eBay. Thanks again.
Fortunatly it was a 16 year old spotty. Martin Mayers that meth addicted lard ar$e also gave him BV the rules and boards, I gave him Partisan and Last Huzzah and boards as well. I guess it's been tossed under the bed now

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I hope too, but I have serious doubts.
The time that Rising Sun is taking to be published could be an indication, as in the case of the Yanks and CdG common module, all printing files will have to be redone from scrap.
It is not just like giving orders to the printer for a reprint, having all the files ready.
Not whining here. Just trying to take the measure of the production problematics that MMP do face.
Funny I did a blog post earlier that included the problems of a Yanks reprint. Was supposed to be a short post but I got up a good head of steam! Problem is that in both cases we did not have to be where we are. Better planning would have seen Yanks on pre-order in less than a year after running out, it's called sales forcast with massive padding. Maybe MMP should hire me as well LOL

Ian