Caso DB - The IndoChine Regime

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Harpoon Scenario List

Hey fellow Harpooners,

I have a new custom Db [CasoDB] ready to put out there for the purposes of playing a campaign I'm designing that will contain several new scenarios. Subject matter is a contemporary world (2007-2009); events leading to it from the early nineties have taken a different turn than that as we know it. The world is at war with lines drawn across a variety of fronts from the South Pacific, North Pacific, Asia, Indian Ocean, Mid East and South America. If you're interested in a plausible "what if" challenge, check into The IndoChine Regime, I'll try to get the scenarios out there soon and keep them coming, but would appreciate any play testing and feedback.
The Caso Database was developed as a variant of the PlayersDB with the primary difference being the expanded ability of all vessels equipped with landing pads to be able to re-load and re-arm air units depending upon their particular capability. Additional aviation magazines have also been created to give the applicable surface platforms more choices in aircraft loadout.

Additionally, this database has been developed to support, but not be limited to, a series of scenarios being designed by its author. All other scenario submissions using this database are welcome provided they are designed within the guidelines of the Harpoon 3 community. It is fully indexed by country and date for ease of use and reference and it currently covers over 90 countries. The scenarios and database are platform-independent and will work with both PC and Macintosh versions of Harpoon 3​
http://www.harplonkhq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1228#p1228

The database and scenarios are bundled together and distributed with the PlayersDB installer for ease of use and popularity. Harpoon ANW users can get the CasoDB within the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library

The IndoChine Regime
This campaign is not for the purist. This is an eclectic composite of past and future platforms, that is made possible due to a "what if" historical scenario.

COMBAT TIME PERIOD: 2007-2010

HISTORY:
1992-2006

The early to mid-nineties sees China discover enormous oil deposits deep below the Southern Gobi Desert. These reserves are nearly as massive as the Saudi fields, extending in branches as far north as Russian Siberia. Normally these deposits would be irretrievable because of their depth and geological composition, but a breakthrough by Chinese geologists unlocks the secret of this difficult extraction.

After the Soviet Union breakup, the Russian government struggles to find definition and structure. The discovery of the section of Chinese oil deposits, which branch into Siberia, gives a boost to the new fledgling Russian democracy. However, these deposits remain locked to the Russians deep beneath the surface because they don't possess the necessary technology. China steps in and helps them retrieve the oil in exchange for the right to purchase much of the huge Russian fleet rusting in mothballs. In addition, they purchase the naval plans to all but a few of their surface platforms. The Russians are content to sit back and get rich selling their military hardware and newly found oil. However, they draw the line with their nuclear, air and sub-surface military hardware. These are not for sale. Giving up any last vestiges of being a projecting naval power, the Russians remain satisfied building up their defensive posture and staying out of the picture.

On the other hand, the Chinese become a major naval power virtually overnight. Within a few short years, they create several carrier groups, cruiser squadrons, and develop an amphibious capability second only to the US, while amassing large quantities of DDG's and FFG's. Their amazing ability to take ship plans and mothballed hulks from the former Soviet shipyards and copy and re-create them with modernized weaponry is miraculous - very Asian. In many of their shipyards, platforms are turned out in 120 to 150 days. Keeping in step are Chinese naval academies and training facilities, building an entire generation of naval and air personnel, with a new cadre of young officers. Naval maneuvers and war games are stepped up to build experience and confidence. The Western Pacific becomes the personal playground for the Indochine navies and air forces.

Due to these extraordinary developments, the United States, United Kingdom, and other NATO powers aggressively re-commission mothballed ships and step up development of platforms that are barely off the drawing board. The United States brings back recently decommissioned CV's, the Iowas, the Virginias, and other CGN's.

They reach back for mothballed Adams and Brooke units, and even re-commission the Iwo LPH's. All other scheduled decommissions are cancelled, and refits are conducted throughout the mothballed navy. The intent is to re-institute a 700-ship navy as quickly as possible. A Republican hawk is elected in 1996, and the military arms race is ratcheted up. Development of the F/A-35 program goes forward full throttle, as well as many new weapon systems such as the AIM-120C9. The UK steps up the development of the Queen Elizabeth CV and Daring DDG programs while re-commissioning their older DDG's and FFG's such as the County's and Broadswords. Even Australia gets on the program by dusting off the CV Melbourne, while moving forward with it's River DDG program. For the first time in 20 plus years, the draft is brought back.

About the time that China finds oil, India strikes uranium - huge deposits that turn the country into a major player on the strategic game board. In addition, as if there was some divine entity driving the world into further chaos, diamond deposits are discovered by accident when a national company is strip-mining for iron ore - large and vast, they rival South African reserves. The Indian Government regales in its new-found wealth. Military hawks gain control in the '94 elections and the arms build-up is underway fueled by disputes with Pakistan.

The late 90's see India and China realizing it is in their common interest to join together and determine the future of Asia. They form the IndoChine Regime.
North Korea quickly steps on board, in all probability due to China dangling South Korea in front of their nose like a carrot. China shares its Russian naval windfall with India and North Korea. The Indian shipyards take these plans and produce well-built versions of their own - cheaply and quickly. By the middle of the first decade in the new millenium, the IndoChine Regime has a combined navy over 800 ships!

Just about the time that the US reaches its 700 ship navy and other NATO members reach their quotas, the US is attacked in September 2001. America and her Allies invade Afghanistan and then Iraq. It is at this moment that IndoChine makes it's move.

In a well coordinated campaign, India strikes into Southeast Asia, taking control of Malaysia. While forming a shaky alliance with Myanmar, India threatens Thailand. Caught in the middle, Thailand agrees to join the IndoChine Regime and participates in the overthrow of the Cambodian and Laotian governments. Indonesia avidly joins the alliance, in the hopes of receiving new military hardware. The Chinese and Indians welcome them eagerly, and provide them with limited naval and air materiel. Knowing their cooperation is invaluable in securing the oil fields there, the IndoChinese also see Indonesia providing a buffer zone to Australia. However, the Chinese leave the administration of the Indonesian theater to their Indian and Thai allies.

Everyone decides to leave Vietnam alone. No one wishes to deal with them due to their pertinacious independence. But in an unexpected move, Vietnam voluntarily joins the Regime, and a tenuous peace in Southeast Asia is achieved.

At the same time, IndoChine forces invade and occupy Taiwan, the Philippines, and form a blockade around Japan and South Korea with the help of the North Koreans. Surprisingly, China restrains North Korea from invading South Korea. At first, the North Koreans are outraged, screaming foul. They were promised a free hand in the south, but China manages to smooth their ruffled feathers. No doubt it's only a matter of time until South Korea is attacked. Behind this terrible drama, the Russians continue to ply the IndoChine regime with more technology and materiel while making a bloody fortune.

In an effort to isolate Australia and control the trade routes across the Pacific, the IndoChine forces strike out eastward to the Solomons. Along the way they take possession of many of the islands and atolls the US Navy and Marines struggled so valiantly to liberate a little more than sixty years before; the world sees them fall once again to dark forces. Although the Indochine Regime is not nearly as oppressive and brutal as their Japanese predecessors, any foreign ruler is an insufferable one.

Renegade nations in Africa and the Middle East are expected soon to align themselves with the IndoChine Regime after receiving heavy financial and military aid, specifically Iran. The Regime is hoping to destabilize these areas in order to spread their influence for future expansion, especially in the Southwestern Hemisphere. South America is a ticking bomb ripe for the picking, where an extremely resourceful and rich benefactor is welcome to supply restful nations with the military hardware and technology to strike deep into the heartland of the United States.

It is thus how we find the situation at the beginning of this series of campaigns.

**********************​
Re-posted at the request of Alan Caso
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2760260

Last edited:

styx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Is that Database already included in the installer and does it appear in the database selection screen after install?

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes. The installer unzips both the PlayersDB and CasoDB for you into your ANW databases folder. Then, you select it with the Database Manager tab from the Configuration launcher.

styx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Yes. The installer unzips both the PlayersDB and CasoDB for you into your ANW databases folder. Then, you select it with the Database Manager tab from the Configuration launcher.
Hmm...and it´s named "CasoDB" in the launcher menu? Did not find it, will take a second look.

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Correct. I thought that was pretty clearly stated and that the link was sufficient. The CasoDB author did not make a version available for HUE. When he decides to do so, it will be added. Until then, you it is only available with ANW. Sorry for any confusion or inconvenience.

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The 4th NEW Harpoon scenario of the year!

01 Survival of the Fittest

This is the first scenario written for ANW and HUE using the customized CasoDB. The scenario and database are bundled within the PlayersDB installation file due to its popularity and ease of use. Alan is the 35th author to release a Harpoon scenario.

Echoing the philosophy of the man for whom it is named, the small city of Darwin finds itself in a fight for it's very own survival. As the world edged closer and closer to the brink of war in the preceding years and months, the Allies spent much energy, resources and money refitting and enlarging assets and bases around the globe. Unfortunately, Darwin was fairly low on the list.

This has come back to haunt them. Darwin Naval Base named HMAS Coonawarra, the Australian Army base at Larrakeyah Barracks and RAAF Darwin have come under direct attack by IndoChine forces. Some of the older residents will remember the Japanese attacks in the early part of 1942: not a pleasant memory. Then as now, the fears of complete devastation and occupation have become a distinct possibility.

Whether this is a move to neutralize northern Australia or the first step in an all out occupation, Allied forces must draw a line in the sand here and show that they are the ones chosen to be the fittest to survive.

Author: Alan Caso

Harpoon HUE users can get the:
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library

Harpoon ANW users can get the:
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library

"Harpoon for Dummies" channel

Frequently Asked Questions

FilesOfScenShare

styx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Just playing the first scenario, "Survival of the Fittest". Stumbling over an irritating issue: the EF 2000 Typhoons never go to ready status. They are stuck at 0:00. Thus I cannot launch them.

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
One possible work-around solution for this bug is to:

1) Open the Air Ops window for the base
2) Change the loadout to something like Ferry
3) Change the loadout back to the desired loadout
4) Close the Air Ops window

See if that works. Alan will be very happy to hear that someone else is enjoying his scenario. :)

styx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
One possible work-around solution for this bug is to:

1) Open the Air Ops window for the base
2) Change the loadout to something like Ferry
3) Change the loadout back to the desired loadout
4) Close the Air Ops window

See if that works. Alan will be very happy to hear that someone else is enjoying his scenario. :)
That is an ANW bug? Nothing database-related? Ok, I´ll try.

I think Alan has really deserved an AAR for his work. Both scenarios look good and well thought out. Although I clearly prefer 3.6.3, I´ll play these two through with 3.9.4.

thx for your hint

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, it is an ANW/HUE-only bug. Sadly, these scenarios are not available under H3.6.3.

Alan has been quite obsessed with his scenarios and has done some fairly exhaustive testing. He kept telling me, "They'll be ready in 45 days" for over a year. I was very happy to see them arrive. He's got an entire campaign planned and his first batch of seven scenarios for it is slowly making its debut. The ones I've helped test indicate very high levels of coordination for his AI forces thereby presenting the player with a respectably challenging scenario.

aotino

Reaction score
Hey Styx,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, unfortunately there's something about ANW that can sometimes mess with getting aircraft past the ready point. I find it while testing later scenarios I'm designing. Herman Hum has a good solution which I will try as well. As he pointed out, it won't be the Database. The only difference between the CasoDb and the PlayersDb is that a large number of ships' magazines now actually support helos they are able to carry. There has been nothing changed with aircraft loadouts or ships' weapons - just the magazines. Keep a lookout - I have a large number of scenarios I'm designing for this Indochine War and I hope you're part of fighting it. Cheers, Alan

That is an ANW bug? Nothing database-related? Ok, I´ll try.

I think Alan has really deserved an AAR for his work. Both scenarios look good and well thought out. Although I clearly prefer 3.6.3, I´ll play these two through with 3.9.4.

thx for your hint

aotino

Reaction score
The 6th NEW Harpoon scenario of the year!
02 Escape from Diego Garcia

Diego Garcia is the only centrally located base available to the Allies in the Indian Ocean. With the threat of the IndoChine Alliance looming on the horizon, British facilities in the Seychelles and on Mauritius have been expanded, as have the French facilities on Reunion and in the Comoros. However, these British and French bases are far from being large enough to support full-scale invasion fleets and air power.

The IndoChine military planners know this and realize that by neutralizing Diego Garcia, it pushes the Allies to the western end of the Indian Ocean and keeps Allied power projection bottled up there for at least a year or more - time enough for the Alliance to secure a grip on the Indian Ocean theater, and seriously hamper Allied operations in the Persian Gulf and the Arabian Sea.

This is the second scenario written for ANW and HUE using the customized CasoDB. The scenario and database are bundled within the PlayersDB installation file due to its phenomenal popularity and ease of use.

Harpoon3.6.3 users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon 3.6.3 Library
Harpoon ANW users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library
Harpoon HUE users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library

styx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi Allen,

Hey Styx,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, unfortunately there's something about ANW that can sometimes mess with getting aircraft past the ready point. I find it while testing later scenarios I'm designing. Herman Hum has a good solution which I will try as well. As he pointed out, it won't be the Database. The only difference between the CasoDb and the PlayersDb is that a large number of ships' magazines now actually support helos they are able to carry. There has been nothing changed with aircraft loadouts or ships' weapons - just the magazines. Keep a lookout - I have a large number of scenarios I'm designing for this Indochine War and I hope you're part of fighting it. Cheers, Alan
Yes, I´m on my way through the first scenario and will play them all, writing AARs meanwhile. But I´d really love to see and play those in 3.6.3 In ANW it´s like usual: distorted maps, a weaker AI, aircraft never get ready etc.

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
But I´d really love to see and play those in 3.6.3 In ANW it´s like usual: distorted maps, a weaker AI, aircraft never get ready etc.
This is why PlayersDB scenarios are usually written in the H3 version and then re-made for availability in ANW and HUE. It's virtually impossible the other way around. Alan has written his scenarios with ANW so it was possible to re-make them for HUE, but is nearly impossible to do for H3. Alan would first have to re-make his database for compatibility with H3 (very difficult, but not impossible) and then re-create each and every single scenario by hand for H3 (gargantuan expenditure of time).

But I´d really love to see and play those in 3.6.3 In ANW it´s like usual: distorted maps, a weaker AI, aircraft never get ready etc.
There are lots of bugs with ANW and HUE. At least you can work-around the map distortion bug by either:

1) Maximizing and then minimizing the map to restore the proper proportions, or

2) Simply re-create a new zoom map.

aotino

Reaction score
Hey Styx,
I would love to be able to get it all in the 3.6.3. I thought it was a terrific and stable system. Unfortunately I would know how to go about doing that nor know if it werre even possible. Sorry about that. We'll just have to enjoy what ANW has to offer. Cheers, Alan

Hi Allen,

Yes, I´m on my way through the first scenario and will play them all, writing AARs meanwhile. But I´d really love to see and play those in 3.6.3 In ANW it´s like usual: distorted maps, a weaker AI, aircraft never get ready etc.

aotino

Reaction score
The 8th NEW Harpoon scenario of the year!
03 Rock The ROC

After two weeks of heavy fighting from Indochine air assaults and missile attacks, ROC resistance concedes to the inevitable. Chinese Indo-Chine naval and air forces commence with an unopposed amphibious assault on Taiwan. ROC naval and air forces must perform an evacuation of all relevant assets to prevent them from falling into Indo-Chine hands.

This is the third scenario written for ANW and HUE using the customized CasoDB. The scenario and database are bundled within the PlayersDB installation file due to its phenomenal popularity and ease of use.

aotino

Reaction score
The 13th NEW Harpoon scenario of the year!
04 The Asian Dunkirk

The Allies must get all military assets out of South Korea and fortify Japan. With attacks on South Korea intensifying from the North Koreans, the noose is tightening as the Indochine Alliance begins to form their blockade on these two Allied members.

This is the fourth scenario written for ANW and HUE using the customized CasoDB. The scenario and database are bundled within the PlayersDB installation file due to its phenomenal popularity and ease of use.

CapitanPiluso

Reaction score
Country
ll
"This is the fourth scenario written for ANW and HUE"

I saw you posted an H3 Dl link, is it valid for H3 too ??
Thx in advance

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sorry, no. CasoDB scenarios are only available for ANW and HUE. Sorry for the confusion.