New members introduce yourself here

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have already posted a looking for opponents thread but thought I would chime in here.

I am a gamer who became interested in tabletop and board gaming a few years ago, and wargaming more recently. I may have gotten in over my head jumping into something like Advanced Squad Leader since I have had very little wargame experience, but the game was immediately intriguing to me due to its wide range of strategies and possibilities. I have a few other games which I play from time to time, generally solo, such as Field Commander: Napoleon, but most of my time at the tabletop is spent playing euro or ameritrash games.

After picking up the Starter Kit and reading the rules, I had my first very intimidating yet fun game of ASL with a friend. Today I had my second. Not many apparent opponents seem to be around me unfortunately, and I have a very busy home life so I don't have time to escape to war game groups on weekends and things which is why I am looking for VASL play, or other individuals locally who are willing to meet at a neutral location to play.

Apart from ASL, D&D, video games, and other mindless distractions, I have a daughter and a wife, the occasional six pack of beer in my fridge, and sometimes I watch UFC fights.

Looking forward to delving deeper into this hobby, and to floating around these forums looking for the answers to my many, many questions. :)
Welcome to The Game! There are quite a few players in Calgary. Post a notice in the opponents wanted sub-forum. You can also try playing ASLSK over VASL with Pat Ireland. You can reach him through the ASLSK subforum. Also plenty of ASLSK players this side of the border keen to play on VASL.

Phosis

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thank you! I will look into Pat. I posted in the sub forum already, and have not yet received a reply, but I'm sure something will come in short order.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thank you! I will look into Pat. I posted in the sub forum already, and have not yet received a reply, but I'm sure something will come in short order.
Pat's a good guy, very commited to helping new players.

If you don't get a reply to your Opponents wanted thread just post another once it drops from the top. I got my first VASL opponents this way and if you don't get replys you have been unlucky so a second bash should sort you

ian

Infman

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi all

I'm new to the forum, but not to ASL. I'm also one of the 1970's Squad Leader veterans.

I'm particularly interested in the PTO at the moment and can't wait for Rising Sun to appear.

I'm finding the Starter Kits a great way to get some new players into ASL. It's great to see the game going strong after 25 years.

Pocky101

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm new to the forum, but not to ASL. I'm also one of the 1970's Squad Leader veterans.

I'm particularly interested in the PTO at the moment and can't wait for Rising Sun to appear.

I'm finding the Starter Kits a great way to get some new players into ASL. It's great to see the game going strong after 25 years.
Welcome to Gamesquad. Lots of great ASL talk here.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all

Welcome to the forum. Lots of "good stuff" here, even a flame war or two lol. :bigfire:

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi all

Newcastle, you kidding me? I worked there till last year!!!!

Other ASL players are there and abouts as well. If you wan to broaden your opponent pool then use the opponents wanted section. Welcome to the madhouse

Ian

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi all

There are a few players in Newcastle area, Andy McMaster, (Bellisarius) here on the forum is one, he could put you in touch with some others, there is one in durham and another in darlington as far I as i can remember , so welcome to this madhouse!!

willemsnyc

Recruit
Reaction score
Hey folks. My name is David. I'm relatively new to ASL. I took a plunge in the deep end and went to Winter Offensive. Played with some really nice and helpful guys. I'm looking forward to delving into more of the system in the coming year. This seems like a nice group of people.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey folks. My name is David. I'm relatively new to ASL. I took a plunge in the deep end and went to Winter Offensive. Played with some really nice and helpful guys. I'm looking forward to delving into more of the system in the coming year. This seems like a nice group of people.
Hi David

good way to get started. We are all nice as long as you don't feed us after dark. Just remember when someone gets noisy it's normal but we all calm down again. A large dysfunctional family LOL

Ian

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hi David

good way to get started. We are all nice as long as you don't feed us after dark. Just remember when someone gets noisy it's normal but we all calm down again. A large dysfunctional family LOL

Ian
Don't listen to the sheep shagger.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to the fun David. Lots going on here. Good place to learn the rules. Never be afraid to ask a question.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Good morning. New to the Forum, so just wanted to say hello. Gaming since 1980, mostly SL and then ASL when it came along. A few breaks for minor life events, like Active Duty, marriage, grad school, kids, grad school yet again, etc. Subscribed to the ASLML in the mid-late 90s but when I came back to ASL a year or so ago, lo and behold, I found that technology had caught up to the ASL world in the form of this Forum! Living in Atlanta metro and normally game one weekend/month. May try out VASL as well, although time is limited in the evenings. Lots of good info here - thanks for the resource!

Mark Humphries

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
Good morning. New to the Forum, so just wanted to say hello. Gaming since 1980, mostly SL and then ASL when it came along. A few breaks for minor life events, like Active Duty, marriage, grad school, kids, grad school yet again, etc. Subscribed to the ASLML in the mid-late 90s but when I came back to ASL a year or so ago, lo and behold, I found that technology had caught up to the ASL world in the form of this Forum! Living in Atlanta metro and normally game one weekend/month. May try out VASL as well, although time is limited in the evenings. Lots of good info here - thanks for the resource!
Good evening and welcome aboard Jim!

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There are still a few names you'll recognise from the mailing list days...and still a few topics! Good to have you around.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There are still a few names you'll recognise from the mailing list days...and still a few topics! Good to have you around.
I am far to young and good looking to have been around before but welcome to the mad house, some do bite LOL

Ian