Who is your favorite American football player of all time

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
NFL only came on UK TV in '81 yet they say it existed before? They were only setting it up ready for us.
Well then you can say that the NFL didn't exist until tvs were invented. ;)

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's something to think about, Trev. In your "pre-history" fewer athletes even qualified to play in the NFL (there were fewer teams) so the quality of play and competition has gone down by one measure. You missed some good football.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Here's something to think about, Trev. In your "pre-history" fewer athletes even qualified to play in the NFL (there were fewer teams) so the quality of play and competition has gone down by one measure. You missed some good football.
I'm sure.

Actually I am of the opinion that the quality of NFL play has gone down some way since free agency came in. Players used to stay with teams for much of their career and I think they gelled better as a result. I don't recall teams using time outs very often except to manage the clock back in the day. These days you see even the big teams calling one if they don't like what the defence is showing.

Could be wrong. I see far more full games instead of just highlights these days. I'll see three this weekend. There are some superb performances out there every week. No wonder this is my favourite sport.

Last edited:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm sure.

Actually I am of the opinion that the quality of NFL play has gone down some way since free agency came in. Players used to stay with teams for much of their career and I think they gelled better as a result. I don't recall teams using time outs very often except to manage the clock back in the day. These days you see even the big teams calling one if they don't like what the defence is showing.

Could be wrong. I see far more full games instead of just highlights these days. I'll see three this weekend. There are some superb performances out there every week. No wonder this is my favourite sport.
I don't know about that. The guys are in such better shape and are bigger and faster than back in the day. But the rosters are larger so they don't have to play the entire game like they used to. And while certain dudes were pretty smart back then the playbooks are much more complicated now. I'll agree with you about free agency hurting with players jumping around from team to team. :( And the time outs. How hard is it to make up that 5 yards? I can't stand that! :angry:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know about that. The guys are in such better shape and are bigger and faster than back in the day. But the rosters are larger so they don't have to play the entire game like they used to. And while certain dudes were pretty smart back then the playbooks are much more complicated now. I'll agree with you about free agency hurting with players jumping around from team to team.
OTOH, how many good college players didn't seriously consider the NFL if they had real jobs that paid better at the time?

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OTOH, how many good college players didn't seriously consider the NFL if they had real jobs that paid better at the time?
I hadn't considered the pay scales but then less money didn't stop actors/actresses from being better than today's either (with a few exceptions).
In theory, today's bigger/faster athletes are up against bigger/faster opponents so it should cancel out except for the rules changes. My point was that if next year they got rid of 4 teams, there'd be 180 guys not playing who currently are; in theory, it'd be the 180 least-talented players so the talent would go up in the NFL.

Trev, I'm glad you like this sport; there's something special about it.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Trev, I'm glad you like this sport; there's something special about it.
From the moment I saw it I was in love and knew I had to get into it as a fan. Only other thing (i.e. not a person) that took me that way was (A)SL.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
From the moment I saw it I was in love and knew I had to get into it as a fan. Only other thing (i.e. not a person) that took me that way was (A)SL.
Edit: From the moment I saw it I was in love and knew I had to get into it as a fan. Only other thing (i.e. not a person) that took me that way was (A)SL... and sheep shagging.

;)

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Back to the topic, one of my all time favorite players is George Blanda.Played forever, and fairly well too. "The Snake" has to be on my list also.Its hard to pick just one player,there are so many that were/are great to watch because of the excitement they bring to the game.Always liked watching Howie Long, Greg Townsend, Mike and Lester(are you getting the theme yet?), Marcus was always a guy that put you on the edge of your seat, and of course Bo, oh what he could have done to the record books.
I do have non-Raider favorites,Barry Sanders was brilliant,Jerry is second to none, Larry Fitz is amazing, and Peyton can slice and dice with the best throughout NFL history.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I do have non-Raider favorites,Barry Sanders was brilliant,Jerry is second to none, Larry Fitz is amazing, and Peyton can slice and dice with the best throughout NFL history.
Jerry was a Raider... Although he won't be remembered as such.

Dion

Ober Field Marshal
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mr. Supernatural, the Taz Man, Barry Sanders!
BARRY, BARRY, BARRY, BARRY!

Last edited:

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jerry was a Raider... Although he won't be remembered as such.
Yes, I know,though even I as a devout Raider fan for 50 years now do not think of him as a Raider.BUT I will never forget the night he torched my Raiders on Monday Night Football.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yes, I know,though even I as a devout Raider fan for 50 years now do not think of him as a Raider.BUT I will never forget the night he torched my Raiders on Monday Night Football.
I recall Rice playing for the Black and Silver one day when another receiver (was it Michael Collins?) caught his 1000th pass. Game stopped; everyone came over to congratulate Collins who was delighted to have Rice shake his hand. Next play Rice caught a bomb - his 1400+th and took it all the way in.

He took the time to congratulate the lesser player before showing his own class. What a true proffessional.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I recall Rice playing for the Black and Silver one day when another receiver (was it Michael Collins?) caught his 1000th pass. Game stopped; everyone came over to congratulate Collins who was delighted to have Rice shake his hand. Next play Rice caught a bomb - his 1400+th and took it all the way in.

He took the time to congratulate the lesser player before showing his own class. What a true proffessional.
Tim Brown

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
As an ex-lineman, I've always watched the interior more than the scoring positions. Couple that with being a K.C. Chiefs fan, and I'd say my favorite of the last 15 years or so would be Willie Roaf. Flat out pancake blocks on a consistent basis, and a good sportsmen. FYI, my father and grandfather always swore that Gale Sayers was the best to ever play, but that was a little before my time.

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Without a doubt, Walter Payton. He was the entire offence for some really bad teams and was still able to rack up all those yards. Teams knew he was getting the ball and they still couldn't stop him. I'm just glad he was able to get a ring before he retired.

Rest in peace Sweetness.