Dorsosh vs Elvis The never ending story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rule_303

Reaction score
In the interests of fairness, since I gave Michael a pretty hard cuff across the muzzle on the other thread, I'd caution Elvis to take the high road here and not to get too smug. Honestly, I find this AAR pretty incoherent and it seems to serve little purpose other than taunting. Say what you have to say, dude, and leave out the cattiness -- the personality drama really isn't interesting to read.

I would very much like to see Michael do a DAR with a comparably erudite opponent who also has a commitment to using RL tactics, without regard to who wins or loses as a consequence. In other words, do your best to recreate a walk-through WWII company engagement using this flawed but capable game engine; complete with some documentation and insight into the actions taken (and constructive criticism of spots where the game makes RL tactics hard or impossible).

Unfortunately, JasonC -- another WWII savant whose forum etiquette is even worse than Michael's -- doesn't participate here to my knowledge. Bletchley, do you feel up to that?

But I think that would also require finding on a map that isn't totally nonsensical non-Normandy, which unfortunately all but a few of the maps that shipped with the game are. Even though I'm a WWII junkie at heart, I've shelved CMBN for this reason and gone back to playing CMSF for the duration. I am a glass half full kinda geek though and, hopefully, as with CMSF, the designers will have learned a thing or two by the CW module and things will improve.

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I would very much like to see Michael do a DAR with a comparably erudite opponent who also has a commitment to using RL tactics, without regard to who wins or loses as a consequence. In other words, do your best to recreate a walk-through WWII company engagement using this flawed but capable game engine; complete with some documentation and insight into the actions taken (and constructive criticism of spots where the game makes RL tactics hard or impossible).

Unfortunately, JasonC -- another WWII savant whose forum etiquette is even worse than Michael's -- doesn't participate here to my knowledge. Bletchley, do you feel up to that?
I actually brokered a deal with Leto to spend Christmas involved in going through some "interesting" game (still looking for that). So we'll eventually have that kind of in-depth AAR (or so I hope). In the meantime, there will be some light entertainment available very soon :)

Rule_303 said:
But I think that would also require finding on a map that isn't totally nonsensical non-Normandy, which unfortunately all but a few of the maps that shipped with the game are.
Try out La Goucherie map on the BFC repository, for an example of what you can do with CM:BN editor. One very useful thing to do would be to compile an index of good quality maps (there are quite a few out there).

Rule_303 said:
Even though I'm a WWII junkie at heart, I've shelved CMBN for this reason and gone back to playing CMSF for the duration. I am a glass half full kinda geek though and, hopefully, as with CMSF, the designers will have learned a thing or two by the CW module and things will improve.
I'm right now playing a H2H CM:SF game, and boy, I do really think there's been a huge improvement. CMSF (with all modules) brings a wider variety of units and vehicles, indeed. But the terrain and the built-in assymetry in performance and availability of high-tech weapon platforms, for me, tones down greatly this variety. To be honest, CM:BN offers more variety in the kind of scenarios one can devise and the outcomes aren't that much "pre-ordained".

The above is a fairly subjective assessment, of course :)

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What I’m seeing here are the usual two camps doing their usual point scoring.

I get it that at one end of the scale we have Elvis and his like for the game and on the other end we have Mr D and his dislike for it. What I don’t get is the constant vying to have the other side punished for some kind of imagined misdemeanor.

Unlike other Mods I wont be swinging the big ban stick on a whim, I wont be taking sides, any more than agreeing or disagreeing with points brought up and I certainly wont be getting rid of one group because the other is uncomfortable with it being here.

As for dismissing AARs as worthless, well that’s an opinion that doesn’t hold out as they have been the most popular threads here for a long time. If you personally think they are worthless then that’s fine by me. I certainly don’t.

Are for stating someone’s lack of ability to play a game; then that’s just plain stupid. Games are there to be played and enjoyed, the more you play the better you get and the more understanding of the subject you have. I’ve had guys who know nothing about ww2 run rings around me in CM.

My aim is to be inclusive here and anyone is allowed to stay if they behave within the rules and if you don’t like it then guess what, I’m the Mod here, not you. And you’re more than welcome to post elsewhere about your love or hate for the game. I will not remove an individual just because their presence here is uncomfortable to you.

So play and talk about the games, what you hate, what you like and if your adult enough to understand that others have differing opinions then the more kudous to you for it. However, if you’re naive enough to believe I would let one or two posters take over this forum, you’re definitely wrong.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
What I’m seeing here are the usual two camps doing their usual point scoring.

Unlike other Mods I wont be swinging the big ban stick on a whim, I wont be taking sides,

You already took sides when you moved Elvis' AAR to the main forum space and relegated Kerry's tournament threads to the sub-forums. You're not being asked to take sides, you're being asked to do your job, and apply the rules of the forum in a consistent and logical manner, to make the experience here a pleasant and constructive one.

As for dismissing AARs as worthless, well that’s an opinion that doesn’t hold out as they have been the most popular threads here for a long time. If you personally think they are worthless then that’s fine by me. I certainly don’t.
Your comprehension of what I said is probably poor in this case. There is a massive gulf between a DAR - which is essentially watching over someone's shoulder - and a well prepared Series Replay specifically written for public consumption. If by "AAR" you mean the latter, we agree. But the term "AAR" is so widely used, to mean so many things, you could be referring to anything.

If watching someone else play a game - especially someone with little historical knowledge coupled with little skill (or the ability to convey that skill to the reader) - is of value to you, it speaks more to the value of your time than the value of the presentation.

My aim is to be inclusive here and anyone is allowed to stay if they behave within the rules and if you don’t like it then guess what, I’m the Mod here, not you. And you’re more than welcome to post elsewhere about your love or hate for the game. I will not remove an individual just because their presence here is uncomfortable to you.

So play and talk about the games, what you hate, what you like and if your adult enough to understand that others have differing opinions then the more kudous to you for it. However, if you’re naive enough to believe I would let one or two posters take over this forum, you’re definitely wrong.
You're wrong if you haven't noticed it already happened. Showing up twice a month to flip through a fraction of the threads and declaring yourself a moderator isn't actual moderation, any more than allowing abusive signature lines, insulting posts, and the other usual Gamesquad garbage that goes on. That's not "being inclusive", it's lazy moderation at best, and bad forum maintenance at worst. And at the end of the day, you're to blame for killing off the membership, through your inaction. Life's too short to log on and wade through abusive spam, reams of googled crap, and interrupted conversations because a weak-willed moderator thinks he's being "inclusive." Either take an active hand in shaping the community into something more positive than a place to bicker, or get out of the way and let's find someone with a more active interest in it.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You already took sides when you moved Elvis' AAR to the main forum space and relegated Kerry's tournament threads to the sub-forums.
My thread was never moved. I think you mean he took sides with BG... it was his thread that was moved.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You're wrong if you haven't noticed it already happened. Showing up twice a month to flip through a fraction of the threads and declaring yourself a moderator isn't actual moderation, any more than allowing abusive signature lines, insulting posts, and the other usual Gamesquad garbage that goes on. That's not "being inclusive", it's lazy moderation at best, and bad forum maintenance at worst. And at the end of the day, you're to blame for killing off the membership, through your inaction. Life's too short to log on and wade through abusive spam, reams of googled crap, and interrupted conversations because a weak-willed moderator thinks he's being "inclusive." Either take an active hand in shaping the community into something more positive than a place to bicker, or get out of the way and let's find someone with a more active interest in it.
Im sorry but this is utter Bollocks and you know it. You are the biggest Bickerer here. Your simply trolling again to get a reaction. How many Moderators patience have you ended up exhausting? Maybe the problem doesnt lie with them, maybe, just maybe its you?

The answer to YOUR problem is simple.

Use one of your websites to set up a CM forum and attract everyone in the world to it to experience your wholesome brand of CM, where you can decide who can participate in your moderated conversations.

I state again, if you dont like it here, then please leave, it is after all your choice.

Im locking this thread, not becuase I want the last word, simply becuase I cant see it going anywhere but round and round. I dont need to see any more screenshots to determine what kind of player Elvis or MD is. To be honest, I dont care if they are the worst players or the best in all the Universe. i simply dont need another juvenille points scoring thread.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.