Why I prefer Pro Sports these days.

Reaction score
Ah, the old debate. College sports vs Pro? There are lots of reasons that people take to prefer one over the other, but watching the continuing implosion of the Big 12, and the lawsuits, threats, verbiage and the like, I've come to a conclusion.

I prefer Pro because they are at least honest and straightforward about being mercenary. In the end, they're there for money and championships (and, the two tend to go together). In college, you get this fantastic rhetoric about "student atheletes" and "teaching life lessons".

But then you get scandal upon scandal, recruiting scandals, payola scandals, lawsuits, conference reshuffling*, and on and on it goes. The hypocrisy of the major schools is staggering.

*Having grown up in Nebraska, I'm obviously a Husker fan. I was... less than thrilled with their decision to leave the Big 12, though having seen some of the things that have gone on since then, I can understand it. That said, I'm looking at this season (as promising as it is on the field) with more ennui than the Callahan era teams... and that takes alot.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah, the old debate. College sports vs Pro? There are lots of reasons that people take to prefer one over the other, but watching the continuing implosion of the Big 12, and the lawsuits, threats, verbiage and the like, I've come to a conclusion.

I prefer Pro because they are at least honest and straightforward about being mercenary. In the end, they're there for money and championships (and, the two tend to go together). In college, you get this fantastic rhetoric about "student atheletes" and "teaching life lessons".

But then you get scandal upon scandal, recruiting scandals, payola scandals, lawsuits, conference reshuffling*, and on and on it goes. The hypocrisy of the major schools is staggering.

*Having grown up in Nebraska, I'm obviously a Husker fan. I was... less than thrilled with their decision to leave the Big 12, though having seen some of the things that have gone on since then, I can understand it. That said, I'm looking at this season (as promising as it is on the field) with more ennui than the Callahan era teams... and that takes alot.
Gary - what part of Nebraska did you grow up in? I grew up in Lincoln. As for your point, I hear what you are saying, but feel about 180 degrees opposite. It is the mercenary aspect of the Pro's that I don't like and when it comes to scandel - given there are a 115 (I think) teams in NCAA I-A (FBS) and only a handful ever make it to the headlines, I think that is pretty good. Don't get me wrong that the NCAA has some serious foundational issues that need to be addressed, but for the most part, I think schools are tainted by the bad apples.

As for the Big 12, I was as happy as a lark to go to the Big 10. Better competition top to bottom in my opinion plus outside of football, I think it puts us on a more even playing field - north teams v. north teams rather than try playing baseball, for instance, in a league that has 5 "Southern teams" - Texas and OK teams. Husker defense should be a top 10 defense again this year; however, the offensive line was purely offensive on Saturday. The hogmollies bettter pick it up come tomorrow against Fresno State.

Reaction score
Also grew up in Lincoln (Go Spartans!)

ETA: As to the "only a few bad apples"... I dunno at this point.

Look at the last decade or so in the Big 12
OU: Rampant Booster abuse, see Rhett Bomar
OSU: Program bought and paid for by T. Boone Pickens (not a scandal per se, but still). Alcohol and Drug problems of back to back coaches (the Suttons)
Baylor: the entire debacle with the player who got murdered, and the coach who told his players to play dumb in the investigation.
KU: The ticket scandal
KSU: Huggins coming in and recuiting every bad seed who knew how to shoot a basketball for his own One and Done

I'm likely forgetting a few things, but the list is growing disturbingly quickly.

Last edited:

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also grew up in Lincoln (Go Spartans!)

ETA: As to the "only a few bad apples"... I dunno at this point.

Look at the last decade or so in the Big 12
OU: Rampant Booster abuse, see Rhett Bomar
OSU: Program bought and paid for by T. Boone Pickens (not a scandal per se, but still). Alcohol and Drug problems of back to back coaches (the Suttons)
Baylor: the entire debacle with the player who got murdered, and the coach who told his players to play dumb in the investigation.
KU: The ticket scandal
KSU: Huggins coming in and recuiting every bad seed who knew how to shoot a basketball for his own One and Done

I'm likely forgetting a few things, but the list is growing disturbingly quickly.

Go Knights.

I am sure we could go through all of the professional organizations and find problems with them too. All my point is that I think the common denominator is that you will find issues in any large organizations and not something that only pertains to colleges.