The LotRO Store & Turbine Points

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
.The layering isn't needed most of the time now in Bree, and it was always packed last year's spring-fall. .
:hmmm: Now that you mention it, I can't recall that last time I saw a "layering notice" in Bree or 21st Hall. I certainly didn't get any when I was moving alts from Moria thru Bree prior to closing up shop.

Good pick up on that RW. :)

Big question is what if anything would the Dev's do to correct the problems. Would WB just sell off Turbine and walk away? I don't see them back peddling on F2P.

Ganzor

Reaction score
I think they're committed to their current course until they run the game into the ground.

There's a percentage of people who have already left that will never come back no matter what they do. I'm in that camp: I will never do business with Turbine again. Kinda sad since their first game, Asheron's Call was my first MMO and really the only reason I played LOTRO since I can't stand LOTR as a story.

There's the F2P's who will leave if Turbine goes back in the other direction because they view subscription fees as evil.

Then there's the subs that still play. They'll stay if the game moves back in the old direction, but I do believe their numbers are greatly diminished. LOTRO might not have been in trouble when F2P started, but it's likely doomed now if the F2P players go away in large numbers.

Speaking of Asheron's Call...

It's not as if Turbine didn't already have a track record of not listening to and screwing its players before being bought by WB. I submit Asheron's Call 2 as an example.

They announce AC2 and make it completely different from AC1. The only sameness is in the (now rearranged) setting, and race names. Due to the uniquness of AC1 even to this day, releasing a sequel that completely changed the formula displeased the current players. New players were few because they were the only ones who didn't know it was completely different. This is all besides the game being horribly broken for a long time.

AC2 is not doing well but to show the subscribers they're not giving up they release an expansion while assuring the few players they have that the game will still be around that the game is not going anywhere.

I think it was a month after the expansion that they announced the game was shutting down. They wanted the extra sales before they did it.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
:hmmm: Now that you mention it, I can't recall that last time I saw a "layering notice" in Bree or 21st Hall. I certainly didn't get any when I was moving alts from Moria thru Bree prior to closing up shop.

Good pick up on that RW. :)

Big question is what if anything would the Dev's do to correct the problems. Would WB just sell off Turbine and walk away? I don't see them back peddling on F2P.
Technically speaking, the lack of layer notices could have other reasons such as they pack more people into each layer (with or without hardware upgrade).

However, as I said I also manually counted and the population in Bree on Landroval had a sharp decline since fall or so.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I checked my LOTRO store account out of curiousity after posting in that thread at the Turbine forum and having someone say "you must have thousands of points". Yup, I do, almost 8,000. But I don't know if that is a lot or not, so I checked out the price of some things to see what that really means.

Then my interest got piqued..

I've been waiting for months for them to come up with some of those "instant teleport" maps to take us to the Misty Mountains and Moria. I'm thinking, maybe I just need to level past 57 where I currently am to get them.

Turns out, you can BUY THEM in the store. Yeah, 50 TP.

So tell me Palantir - do these items ever come up as an item that is an acquired "skill"? It used to be something you acquired as you levelled up. I think I would be somewhat torqued if they decided that you can no longer just obtain them through gameplay but must now purchase them (yes, I realize you can acquire TP through gameplay too, etc. etc.) Still kills the immersion by going to a third party outlet to "buy" this stuff.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I tried to get a look at the store stuff but nothing was availibile to any of my charcters- must be down or something. But I do have almost 9500 TP's sitting around.

I think you can buy a map jump to anywhere now plus, I know you can buy maps to all the racial towns.

Of course the Warden can jump to a few places solo and the Hunter to a few with his party. But they are limited & nothing like what players can just buy.

BlitzCanuck

Pretend Command Sgt. Maj.
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've been waiting for months for them to come up with some of those "instant teleport" maps to take us to the Misty Mountains and Moria. I'm thinking, maybe I just need to level past 57 where I currently am to get them.

Turns out, you can BUY THEM in the store. Yeah, 50 TP.

So tell me Palantir - do these items ever come up as an item that is an acquired "skill"? It used to be something you acquired as you levelled up.
You used to acquire instant teleport maps as you levelled up?
I don't recall that.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those are new with the Store.
You cannot get those maps via game play- only thru the “Store of Advantages."
Because being able to jump any place in the world would seem to be advantageous.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You used to get travel ports (other than race specific) by getting rep with some factions.
Yes, but why do all those stupid quests and waste your time enjoying the challenges & story lines to earn the Travel Port when you can now just buy those maps in the store?

Although, it is rather strange that the Travel Port you needed the most in that area was the Rep Travel Port that, you didn't get until you finished all the quests in that Rep area... :crosseye:

"YAY I finally finished all the requirements to get the Rep Travel Port- it's just too bad I've finished all the quests in the area and now leaving it." :hmmm:

The only advantage is one is permanent & one you have to keep buying I believe, but they could be permanent as well.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is what irks me. :(

I jumped on to keep my accounts active and what was I greeted with on each account, ya you know already... :bite:
View attachment 33581

I wonder if they will ever consider promoting actual GAME PLAY for a change? Like what they have new for players as far as content goes. Wait I forgot, it's a GREAT store with a minor game attached not the other way around now. :angry:

I also thought I'd try the lotto again as long as I was there but, as usual Turbine has so cleverly "improved" their community site (Beta now) and moved it that I never did find it. :crosseye:

The store guys must just hate the lottery & giving away stuff for free; almost as much as letting players earn stuff via their playing. :freak:

I really do miss the fun & excitment of the SoA days.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
We should do some questing again one of these days; I still have lots of "stuff" to do with my Hunter in Moria, the ice caves, Angmar, etc. Maybe some more of the GSers could pool some resources and do some of those high level raids or something.

BlitzCanuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This is what irks me. :(

I jumped on to keep my accounts active and what was I greeted with on each account, ya you know already... :bite:

I wonder if they will ever consider promoting actual GAME PLAY for a change? Like what they have new for players as far as content goes. Wait I forgot, it's a GREAT store with a minor game attached not the other way around now. :angry:

I also thought I'd try the lotto again as long as I was there but, as usual Turbine has so cleverly "improved" their community site (Beta now) and moved it that I never did find it. :crosseye:

The store guys must just hate the lottery & giving away stuff for free; almost as much as letting players earn stuff via their playing. :freak:

I really do miss the fun & excitment of the SoA days.
Where did you see that screen? Was it part of the login process?

FYI, they have temporarily suspended lotteries until all the issues with the EU transfer are sorted.
you can find the announcement here in the section of the forum that they have dedicated to the Lottery:
http://forums.lotro.com/forumdisplay.php?428-LOTRO-Lottery-Feedback-amp-Information

BlitzCanuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've never seen a screen like that but then i usually hit the esc key as soon as the Turbine logo appears.

I agree with you on the lotto screen; definitely could've been handled better. It was kind of maddening trying to figure out why i couldn't get the Lotto widget to stick. Apparently a lot of other people had the same experience judging by the ridiculous number of threads asking what happened to the lotteries.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't mind this garbage nearly as much if they at least avoided showing me ads for things that I already payed for (usually by being VIP).

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We should do some questing again one of these days;
:crosseye:
:scream:

Now you ask? :(

I just emptied & locked my Kinship Hall and houses and closed up shop... do you know how much "stuff" my characters are now packing on their backs? :nuts:

While I did get a bit nostalgic as I packed up & went through all that stuff I EARNED over the years it would take quite a bit to get me to "unpack" so my characters have room to adventure again. I'd have to either pay to reopen the Hall or bring in & play some low alts & get more vault space.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
:crosseye:
:scream:

Now you ask? :(

I just emptied & locked my Kinship Hall and houses and closed up shop... do you know how much "stuff" my characters are now packing on their backs? :nuts:

While I did get a bit nostalgic as I packed up & went through all that stuff I EARNED over the years it would take quite a bit to get me to "unpack" so my characters have room to adventure again. I'd have to either pay to reopen the Hall or bring in & play some low alts & get more vault space.
No problem; just buy some extra storage with your TP. I think there is a dedicated online store that lets you buy stuff now. I'm thinking of checking it out, it could be quite convenient for enhancing my gameplay needs.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The space/house problem is extremely irritating. At the very least I shouldn't have to pay upkeep while I have an active VIP subscription.

I also have lots of characters with bags full of house stuff. This is not helping me go back and play some more since many of these characters are in mule state and not useful for running around doing game things.

BlitzCanuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It's realistic though is it not? You pay for upkeep in the real world. Even if you don't have a mortgage you still have to pay property taxes.