Any further updates....

parmenio

Reaction score
Country
ll
...to the Naval Campaigns series planned?

So far, I've only got Jutland - somewhat late to the party I know but I've been a confirmed land-lubber until now - but I'm enjoying it immensely.

Couple of niggles.....

....simplistic damage model (and I know that must have been discussed before)

...would like to have my current target ship highlighted when I've selected one of my own (and therefore be certain I've actually managed to change target if I choose to do so).

...would like the spacebar to work like Command Ops - resume from pause goes back to previous speed

...would like smaller images in the ship list to fit more in - let the right-click operate as the larger display as a popup.

Keep up the good work!

Reaction score
I can't say what is, or is not coming, but beyond that

I know many disagree, the reason for the "simplistic" damage model is that the games really are intended to put one in the admiral's seat. So, there are various places where things are streamlined or simplified, and yes the damage model is one of them.

Your current target ship should be highlighted already. It should show yellow on the main map.

The thing with the space bar is six one way, half dozen the other. Especially with Midway, lots of players want to drop to 1:1 time to deal with various issues. So, some people likely want what you suggest, others prefer to go to 1:1.

parmenio

Reaction score
Country
ll
Many thanks for the response...

So, there are various places where things are streamlined or simplified, and yes the damage model is one of them.
I can live with it.

Your current target ship should be highlighted already. It should show yellow on the main map.
My bad. Running through another scenario this morning I can now see the highlight on maximum zoom.

The thing with the space bar is six one way, half dozen the other. Especially with Midway, lots of players want to drop to 1:1 time to deal with various issues. So, some people likely want what you suggest, others prefer to go to 1:1.
There's two ways to handle that - make it a setting or add hotkey support. However, generally I just pause if I've got various issues to deal with.

Reaction score
Yeah, I just learned to do most of that stuff in 1:1 back when I was playing a great deal of Jutland online. There, we had a gentleman's agreement not to pause the game unless it was for technical or personal reasons (phone call or the like).

It gets even busier in Midway, when you need to organize searches and strikes. Especially as Time is as much an asset to be managed in that game as planes and ships.

ivanmoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It gets even busier in Midway, when you need to organize searches and strikes. Especially as Time is as much an asset to be managed in that game as planes and ships.
I can remember feeling time-pressured playing Midway, but I've gotten past it. When played 1:1, its actually quite easy to keep up with, so long as you've got a rhythm to your approach to air operations. The one exception to this, IMO, is in the case of friendly subs. Even that's not too big of a problem, excepting in scenarios like Midway, where the Allied player has a bunch of them, and most of them get killed because the human simply can't keep up! All in all, I find Midway to have a fabulous zen-quality to it. I get stuff rolling and find myself letting the game run while I visit the head or get myself a snack. Indiscretions aside, it rarely gets away from me. I really do hope that y'all continue to develop the game, as it's a favorite of mine.

Reaction score
Oh, we're not done with Midway yet :)

Now, when I mention time pressures in Midway, there's really two sets. One is keeping up with the game at 1:1. That's not really an issue unless you like micromanaging your own strikes as they go in. The other time pressure (and the one that I was really thinking of in my last post) is that all your actions (launching, landing, arming, such and so) take time, and if you get on the wrong side of the time-curve there... well, the Japanese at Midway learned that lesson in no uncertain terms.

ivanmoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, we're not done with Midway yet :)

The other time pressure (and the one that I was really thinking of in my last post) is that all your actions (launching, landing, arming, such and so) take time, and if you get on the wrong side of the time-curve there... well, the Japanese at Midway learned that lesson in no uncertain terms.
I think that players can get themselves in that situation because they don't really understand the nature of the game-clock. I can remember thinking that I had to put a CAP up at 0500, when the reality was that the enemy wasn't gonna lay a glove on me for two or three hours. Rather, success revolves around getting a proper mix of search and strike aircraft up, ASAP. A key goal of mine is to have NO aircraft on-board a carrier when the enemy finally comes to call. That's not to say that I'm not launching the very last of my CAP and VT as his approach is revealed on RADAR and closes in on my TF. And, when all is said and done, I win a whole lot more than I lose. It's those moments of tension that I find the most exquisite aspect of the game, BTW, when I see how well I've managed the cycle.