Starter Kit Scenarios With Full Rules

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As an ASL returnee...(the starter kits sucked me back in after a 15 year hiatus), I've just started playing ASLSK scenarios with the full rules. I figured that I'd use the full rules since ASL is just like riding a bike (except where its different) and I'm surprised by how much I still remember.

I'm wondering though how the full rules would affect the play balance of these scenarios. Adding snipers, EC, concealment, and multi-level buildings would have an impact I'm sure. However, not being experienced enough yet to understand all the nuances these rules introduce, I thought I'd ask the experts their opinions.

I'm also interested in your suggestions for converting these scenarios for use with full rules with minimal impact to the original feel and intent of the scenario.

Any thoughts?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As an ASL returnee...(the starter kits sucked me back in after a 15 year hiatus), I've just started playing ASLSK scenarios with the full rules. I figured that I'd use the full rules since ASL is just like riding a bike (except where its different) and I'm surprised by how much I still remember.

I'm wondering though how the full rules would affect the play balance of these scenarios. Adding snipers, EC, concealment, and multi-level buildings would have an impact I'm sure. However, not being experienced enough yet to understand all the nuances these rules introduce, I thought I'd ask the experts their opinions.

I'm also interested in your suggestions for converting these scenarios for use with full rules with minimal impact to the original feel and intent of the scenario.

Any thoughts?
Concealment and Bypass really alter the games. Multi-level buildings will also in many cases. Firelanes also change up a lot of ASLSK scenarios. Snipers not so much, IMHO.

JR

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who knows? I wish MMP would follow the SP model and make the scenarios compatible with full ASL as well as SK.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Any thoughts?
Slap a SAN on them and hope for the best. Defenders get concealment and firelanes, attackers get bypass, Dash, and late CX. Call it a wash, but stick with ground level buildings, and hope for the best.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Slap a SAN on them and hope for the best. Defenders get concealment and firelanes, attackers get bypass, Dash, and late CX. Call it a wash, but stick with ground level buildings, and hope for the best.
I bet it would work out fine. Maybe I'll try one this way. Might be good to pull one I've played against a noob using SK rules and seeing how it goes.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First my apologies. It seems this has been asked a few times before on Game Squad. I should have done a better search before posting.

Looking at the many responses from my thread and the others, it seems that multi-level buildings are likely to have the biggest impact on SK scenarios. As I dive deeper into playing ASL again, I'll enjoy those excellent SK scenarios from ground level.

ant_dk

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I have tried this a couple of times and it works very fine in deed. We used 3 for SAN on both sides, and also used the Deployment and the Recombined rules.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Given that anyexperienced player likely has 2000+ regular scenarios to choose from the unbalencing of these scenarios by using full rules is probobly not a big deal since eithert they are being played by beginners or one side will be so much more experienced than the other that a balence is hard to create.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think this has been hinted at or directly stated in other similar threads before, but who really cares much about balance? The idea is to learn the real ASL rules. The balance probably won't be THAT broken in most scenarios, and the point is to learn.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The idea is to learn the real ASL rules.
Not necessarily. Many of the Starter Kit scenarios are easy to set up and fast to play. The terrain is less dense and LOSs more obvious. Some players prefer the "puzzle" scenarios that many of today's designers are offering. Not me. The Attacker gets a SAN of 2, the Defender a SAN of 3 and all buildings are ground level. I think I need to add some ?s for the Defender, especially when there's no HIP, but I haven't started playing around with that yet.

Pocky101

Reaction score
I'm interested to hear how any SK scenarios go using concealment. After learning how it works in full ASL I wondered why it wasn't in SK. It's not terribly complex (system-wise) and adds such a fun layer of depth.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm interested to hear how any SK scenarios go using concealment. After learning how it works in full ASL I wondered why it wasn't in SK. It's not terribly complex (system-wise) and adds such a fun layer of depth.
Concealment is one of the more complex things in the system when you start adding all the corner cases... (vs. AFV/OVR, in CC, detection, loss/gain table rarities, etc).

ant_dk

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Lots and lots off full ASL rules are not terribly complex (system-wise) and adds a fun layer of depth. I think the goal was to make the SK's as simple as posible, and cut away everything not absolutely essensical. Concealment, even though it is fun, are not essencial for playing the game.

I have tried a couple of SK scenarios using SK rules and concealment. We added also the bypass and firelanes rules to balance things. We were not that concerned the balance in the scenarios, and had a great time playing them.