Demo Live

junk2drive

Reaction score
Woke up at 11:45 and found that the dl had finished. Installed in a few minutes. Started the training battle. Looked around. Back to bed.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They want that demo out at the same time PCO goes on sale in the morning. That's why.

Yeah, I know Elvis...just another BFC coincidence is all...............

I need to read that quote by Steve again where BFC never heard of PCO....yeah right, and pigs fly too.

I just hope they were ready to release their demo/game. It looks like another rush job at the moment.

Good Hunting.

MR
You are joking, right? If not, then you are implying that they held off past the May 9th announced date for PC:O and then, steely-eyed, sat through the night of the 10th to 11th gambling against the odds that somehow.. some way.. PC:O would be pushed back one more day to the 12th. Then BAM they dropped their bomb the night before in a well planned mission that took nerves of steel to execute!!!

Is this really what you're saying? Instead of the demo (and/or game) finishing up a little later than the time they said it would be done 2 months ago?

I as going to assume you are just kidding around...

Jeph

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
What morons. 100%, tin-plated, pinecone-brained morons.

-dale
Sounds like only one mirror had a corrupted version which seems to be fixed and I'd guess that it wasn't neccesarily anyone from BFC's fault.

So your conclusion is a little baffling, care to explain why they are so thoroughly stupid?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I woke up, also found download had finished. It installed VERY quickly. There are two missions in addition to the training mission. One is set in the Battle of Normandy (June 6 to July 24) and the other is set in the Breakout (July 25 to Aug). Nice touch. However, the little blurb for the Normandy one says that "Echo Company" of the 116th Infantry Regiment...

Wrong, of course. That is NATO phonetics which didn't exist until well after the war. Company E at the time would have been known as "Easy Company".

Not an auspicious start for the "most realistic wargame ever made." They also abbreviated Company as "COY" which is the Commonwealth abbreviation. So either George or JonS or someone did the blurb for this. The Americans abbreviate it as "Co." Funny, because they take the pains to use the German language spelling of Kompanie in the same sentence. I know it is being nitpicky, but it jumps right out at you as the first thing you see. I can only assume they spent the extra year and a half working on little details...and that's the first one I see. More to follow....

EDIT - the scenario briefing also makes reference to FOXTROT company, also a postwar designation. During the war, this was simply "Fox" Company. They never changed these until after the Korean War, to the best of my knowledge - 10 years or so later.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
On the other hand, the cut scene and music is a nice choice. I don't think it will get as wearying as that hard-rock-Arabic thing that was in CM:SF. Of course, a lot of us raved about what a unique and cool sounding choice it was the first time we heard it, too. :)

Zonso

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sounds like only one mirror had a corrupted version which seems to be fixed and I'd guess that it wasn't neccesarily anyone from BFC's fault.

So your conclusion is a little baffling, care to explain why they are so thoroughly stupid?

Yes I would like to hear this reasoning also, though I already have a pretty clear idea.

Zonso

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I know it is being nitpicky, but it jumps right out at you as the first thing you see. I can only assume they spent the extra year and a half working on little details...and that's the first one I see. More to follow....
Whoa, easy there big fella. Must be that degree in Communications getting in the way...

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Whoa, easy there big fella. Must be that degree in Communications getting in the way...
I find the one in History comes in handier when it comes to historical research.

Maybe BFC needs to employ someone like me? I'm just going through the scenario briefing now. They describe the July Offensive as being intended to "drive the 7th Army out of Normandy." That's a pretty sweeping statement. I think the actual goal was more limited in nature; to move the 1st Army up to the St. Lô-Périers road, what later became the line of departure for Operation COBRA. I can forgive a little hyperbole in briefing texts, but the nomenclature stuff is a bit more important. If you're going to go to the trouble to use names and unit designations - why not get them right?

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I actually managed to download it from the German site pretty quickly before I had to leave for work.

I had literally 10 minutes with the game and here are my initial observations:

- The loading screens and such look slick and well done.

- I fired up the Demo mission and again the loading and info screens looked very slick and well done. Being more interested in graphics and playablility I can easily ignore the fact that some of the abbreviations etc might just be wrong.

- Game starts and looks exactly like an enhanced CMSF. Nothing wrong with that and not unexpected. Buildings look nice and Europeany. Water looks a bit rubbish though and not exactly flowing. However its an improvement over the appaling water in CMA.

- I chose the US side and all of the controls that I had in CMSF and have gotten used to are right there. Slick camera controls using Mouse and right Mouse to pan and turn, wheel to zoom with left click and move to move slow. I like these controls and wouldnt have expected them to change.

-UI looks good, theyve learned from CMA and used a look similar, ammo now has numbers instead of graphics (not sure about that, I liked the graphics). However, the first Mod I download wibe one for the weapons as I hate the Green ones and have no idea why they never got Scipio to do them as his are way better.

-Sounds. Oh dear. I made a comment at BF over a week ago saying soething like 'I hope they dont use the same old sounds again'. This comment was picked up on by various including my best Mate Mickey D. Guess what. The sounds for the troops are exactly the same, 'Get moving', 'Take a look at that'. They may be familiar but BF, they are ten years old and should have been changed in my opinion. The vehicles also have the exact same sounds as CMSF. Im no Sherman engine Grog but Im sure they didnt sound like a Stryker. 60cm Mortar also sounded like the one in CMBO!

- Infantry looked OK and behaved the same as it does in CMSF. Im assuming that it is modelled in the same 1-1 abstracted way that CMSF infantry is except the allowances may have been turned down a bit due to the lack of body armour in ww2. They still run in a big heap banging into each other, but to be honest, Im used to this by now.

- Combat - didnt get into it as I left for work but I did try targetting the Mortar. As I said, the sound was a bit disappointing but the weird thing was that the mortar crewmen not servicng the mortar were shooting their rifles at my area target spot.

Thats was it form me, will have a more in-depth play later but overall I liked it. It had no surprises graphically and was just like CMSF for ww2. My PC had no trouble running it at highest specs in Win 7 but I dont have trouble in CMSF. Although the terrain draw for grass etc seems even less than in CMSF. As I said, I need to play with it a wee bit more and see what effects combat has, how vehicles react to infantry compared to CMSF and I want to see if grenades can really kill tanks every time as that was a preview AAR aspect that sort of worried me (or is it abstracted in the same way CMBB was?).

Cheers

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Im no Sherman engine Grog but Im sure they didnt sound like a Stryker.
I took part at a battle reenactment in 2004 for the anniversary of D-Day with a running Sherman, and again on VE Day. Last year for our Regimental Centennial, part of the parade included a roll past with an M4A2E8. I've also been in the field with, and ridden in, Grizzly AVGPs, in the LAV family. To my ear, they sound pretty similar. In fact, I laughed out loud coming back from the range when we got close to the armouries, riding in the back of a Grizzly, and I heard the turn signals. GM made parts common to both the Grizzly, and our city buses, so the whine of the engine and then the turn signals were identical.

carl_render

Reaction score
Country
ll
Although the terrain draw for grass etc seems even less than in CMSF.
Cheers
After all the requests to increase draw distance in CMBN, and what BFC & beta testers have said about improved LOD, that is quite surprising. Will check it out later.

Patrocles

Reaction score
I woke up, also found download had finished. It installed VERY quickly. There are two missions in addition to the training mission. One is set in the Battle of Normandy (June 6 to July 24) and the other is set in the Breakout (July 25 to Aug). Nice touch. However, the little blurb for the Normandy one says that "Echo Company" of the 116th Infantry Regiment...

Wrong, of course. That is NATO phonetics which didn't exist until well after the war. Company E at the time would have been known as "Easy Company".

Not an auspicious start for the "most realistic wargame ever made." They also abbreviated Company as "COY" which is the Commonwealth abbreviation. So either George or JonS or someone did the blurb for this. The Americans abbreviate it as "Co." Funny, because they take the pains to use the German language spelling of Kompanie in the same sentence. I know it is being nitpicky, but it jumps right out at you as the first thing you see. I can only assume they spent the extra year and a half working on little details...and that's the first one I see. More to follow....

EDIT - the scenario briefing also makes reference to FOXTROT company, also a postwar designation. During the war, this was simply "Fox" Company. They never changed these until after the Korean War, to the best of my knowledge - 10 years or so later.
haha! because we are all WPE suffers and all of know that only the German Whermacht(sp) spellings are important (Kompanie, Tigers, Fallschirmjagers(sp) and all that). Who cares about the Allied forces!
;)

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are joking, right? If not, then you are implying that they held off past the May 9th announced date for PC:O and then, steely-eyed, sat through the night of the 10th to 11th gambling against the odds that somehow.. some way.. PC:O would be pushed back one more day to the 12th. Then BAM they dropped their bomb the night before in a well planned mission that took nerves of steel to execute!!!
No, I'm not joking!

Is this really what you're saying? Instead of the demo (and/or game) finishing up a little later than the time they said it would be done 2 months ago?

I as going to assume you are just kidding around...
ROFL!!!

How could BFC have known for sure what day we were going to actually sell PCO? Like all game companies the sale date is a "Best Guess" sort of a date.

I don't get too many solid digs at you but I couldn't resist this one.

Good Hunting.

MR

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I fired it up and on the opening page was scrawled "f*** you Leto" in big red letters. It then cued up a movie file taken from my prom night where I was video'd walking around with my pants around my ankles and then puked on my prom date (that was actually my cousin, as I couldn't get a real date). The video kept repeating and nothing else happened.

Ahh... ok, I mistakenly loaded a file sent to me by my cousin.

Will try the demo... I sure hope that when my pixeltruppen crouch, they make fart noises. I could use the humour... just lost 2.5 million in the commodities markets over the last 3 months...

sigh.

Cheers!

Leto

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Get some caffeine Zonso and you'll be fine.

This is between me and Elvis. You're not invited to the party.

Good Hunting.

MR

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
One other thing strikes me from the bocage historical treatment - while Culin may have invented the Rhino equipment early on in the campaign, there is discussion in the Green Books about General Bradley wanting to keep the equipment secret in order to maintain tactical surprise. There was an order to units not to mount prongs on tanks until July 24/25, and the start of COBRA. I understand that some units may have used the equipment independently - that's how the Culin stuff got started, of course - but I think scenario designers should probably be sparing of how they employ it in dates before the end of July. The historical write-up in the bocage scenario is ambitious and for the most part good - hard to go wrong if you stick to Doubler - but not convincing as far as providing a rationale for "Rhinos". The scenario designer used this page as his source:

http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/resources/csi/doubler/doubler.asp

Which while it does discuss the implementation of the Rhino, does not discuss General Bradley's desire to keep it secret.

Some of the briefing seems to be plagiarized from here:

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/wwii/articles/hedgerowbreakout.aspx

"Though the most famous of the hedgerow-reducing devices, Culin's rhinoceros was only one of many such contrivances invented and employed throughout the First Army. "