saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
You are correct sir!

1915:

1940:

I was struck by the uncanny similarities of the two sinkings, not least because of the ship name and it's loss early in hostilities, but the rolling over and even the crew climbing down the sides.

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
Your go Doddleson!

If you don't post a q in the next couple of days I think anyone can step into the breach.

Doddleson

Recruit
Reaction score
Ok. This is my first attempt at your long standing game, so be nice.

View attachment 33163

Look at the photo above and answer the following questions:

1. What type of equipment is it?
2. From what ship was it salvaged?
3. Where is it currently on display today?

Hopefully this has not been used before or is not too easy. Enjoy!

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
I think this is the rangefinder from the German heavy cruiser Graf Spee and it's on display in Montevideo, Uruguay.

Doddleson

Recruit
Reaction score
You got it! I guess my first attempt was way too easy.

This is the rangefinder from the main mast of the Graf Spee.

Last edited:

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
It was a guess, though I think I've seen that before but the image I recalled was that the rangefinder was in a park under some trees.

Okay, here's a fine porky looking fellow. I'm interested in a few facts about him such as the name his new owners gave him, the ship he came from and the ship he was taken on board (and whose crew subsequently named him). If you know where he ended his naval career I'll accept that too but the first three items should keep you busy a while.

Doddleson

Recruit
Reaction score
"Tirpitz was a pig captured from the German Navy after a naval skirmish following the Battle of the Falkland Islands in 1914. 'Tirpitz' was subsequently adopted by the crew of HMS Glasgow, who made him their mascot, and named him 'Tirpitz', after Alfred von Tirpitz, the German Admiral, and Secretary of State of the Imperial Naval Office.

"Tirpitz was eventually auctioned off for charity as pork in 1919. He ultimately raised £1,785 for the British Red Cross. Tirpitz's head was mounted and is still in the Imperial War Museum in London. Another of Tirpitz's legacies was bequeathed to the next HMS Glasgow, which retained a pair of silver mounted carvers made from Tirpitz's trotters."

View attachment 33165
Here he is with his new crewmates.

On a side note, how do you post a picture without it looking like a link or attachement?

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
Yup, and was seen from the Glasgow swimming in the sea after Dresden was scuttled.

I wonder if Dresden's crew had named him Churchill...

Your go!

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Doddleson, I'll jump in to rescue the thread, feel free to butt in later with your question.

Which naval officer is currently being revered as a god?

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
Is it Togo, victor of Tsushima? That's a total stab in the dark but it seems like the kind of thing the Japanese might do!