Gamerswithjobs pre-view, claims "beta" demo next week.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I cant fathom why anyone would need to bet any 'gaming dollars' on a game that will have a fully functioning demo. Its just like buying a car without the test drive after you bought the previous model which didnt satisfy you.

Im going to try the Demo and then buy. Im 99% sure I will be buying it as on the whole I enjoy CMSF. That 1% may just be that the game is somehow broken (which Im not expecting). I dont consider $40 that much money though. I spent more than that going to the Cinema on Wednesday night.
I can't fathom why anyone would need to bet any entertainment dollars on a movie that has been reviewed in the press. It's just like buying a car without the test drive. :)

People gamble because....well, they like gambling, don't they. ;) There's a bit of hope in it.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That review mentions that one of the planned Modules was Arnhem?

Surely the Allies will have every piece of equipment in place at the end of the Brit/Canadian Module to play an Arnhem Battle?

Or does it mean that British Airborne troops will not be in the next module but will have to wait for an Arnhem one?

Or have they (Reviewers) got the modules all wrong?

vulture

Reaction score
Country
ll
That review mentions that one of the planned Modules was Arnhem?

Surely the Allies will have every piece of equipment in place at the end of the Brit/Canadian Module to play an Arnhem Battle?

Or does it mean that British Airborne troops will not be in the next module but will have to wait for an Arnhem one?

Or have they (Reviewers) got the modules all wrong?
The plan does seem to be commonwealth forces for 1st module and market garden for 2nd - with a fair degree of uncertainty of a) what will be in market garden that won't be in commonwealth, b) how having market garden is going to work if you don't have commonwealth, and c) how to avoid having enough unique content in both modules whilst also having enough overlap to make both independent of each other.

Some quotes courtesy of the BFC search function:

Originally Posted by Battlefront.com
Commonwealth should be completely covered in the 1st Module. Everything necessary for Market Garden specifically will be in 2nd Module.
Originally Posted by Battlefront.com
Originally Posted by Sequoia
All this again makes me wonder how they're going to handle the Market-Garden Module if one does not have the Commonwealth Module. No Brits or SS in Market-Garden? How would that be? It almost makes the Commonwelth module a must buy, though I suppose one could be content with the actions of the 82nd and 101st along with the possibility of gaming Patton's Loraine campaign.
Modules never require the purchase of another Module. We will see how things shake out for the Market Garden (2nd) Module, but we're pretty sure we can introduce enough new things to make it worth purchasing. One thing we're going to do, which we haven't done so far, is change the terrain options (graphically at a minimum). We want to make sure that Nijmegen feels like Nijmegen, not Villers Bocage

3rd Module is going to be our first "Mish Mosh Module" where we just put in whatever seems cool and not worry about it all fitting into a specific setting.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Don't forget that they can shop out German forces among the various modules also. Not sure where they plan to put the King Tigers - they seem a natural for a Battle of the Bulge game, but could easily also be in a Commonwealth Normandy module, or also an Arnhem one, if that came out before Battle of the Bulge. Ditto Waffen SS infantry.

Caractacus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Maybe they're going to do Market Garden entirely from the US POV like they have done with this first Normandy game? Are US airborne in the Nomandy module? If not maybe they could be the extra content.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks Vulture. Reading the BF quotes it seems to make somse sense for them to leave out UK Airborne forces until Market Garden. This would mean offering them plus new terrain or perhaps buildings too for that module.

US Airborne is definitely in the first game and we have been told several times that both German Para and SS forces will be in the 1st module. Not sure why German paras aren't in the CMN game though as I'm not certain the UK faced them in Normandy. However, they have to have something to offer next year to non interested US players.

I can't believe I missed that though, I was under the impression that they initially stated there would be 2 modules and that module 1 went right up to Arnhem.

vulture

Reaction score
Country
ll
I can't believe I missed that though, I was under the impression that they initially stated there would be 2 modules and that module 1 went right up to Arnhem.
Perhaps you are mixing up your memory with the plan to have two Titles - one Normandy through to Market garden (once all the modules are in), second from Bulge through to the end of the war? Dunno - it is quite possible the plans have changed over the years and that different things have been said at different times though.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Perhaps you are mixing up your memory with the plan to have two Titles - one Normandy through to Market garden (once all the modules are in), second from Bulge through to the end of the war? Dunno - it is quite possible the plans have changed over the years and that different things have been said at different times though.
Either that or just wishful thinking I suppose. Although I'm looking forward to CMBN I'm more looking forward to the Brits. Partly because I'm one and partly because I find the armour clashes much more interesting. The Brits and Canadians faced the vast majority of the German armoured forces and fielded some interesting weapons compared to the US forces. You just can't beat an infantry assault supported by Churchills!

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yep Dieppe. Your sentence makes no grammatical sense though.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Last edited:

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, more to the topic of this thread, and the one thing that does seem a bit hinkey, though, is the reviewers that are getting these preview copies. I just got the battlefront newlsetter, which finally announces the preview in "gamerswithjobs".

Who are these "no name" indie previewers? Do they carry as much weight as previews done by Gamespot, say?

I can see an argument for the "indies" having more intimate knowledge of niche subject matter - the reference to Catigny Park and the 1st Infantry Division museum kind of suggests that, in this one. Hard to see a 'mainstream' reviewer getting that reference. I know the argument has been made in the past that larger reviewers were reluctant to look at CM material after CM:SF, but I presumed that was because the modules were simply add-ons and not full-blown releases.
Anyone that's ever been associated with a product that delivered less than stellar results will understand BFC's problem here. CMx1 had a track record. It was a pretty good one overall.

They had some issues with CMBO but they patched it up and got the series going. And they kept the series going and the subsequent releases were pretty clean.

They had some well earned publicity dollars to spend for the release of CMSF. When the reviewers got their copy of CMSF I can't believe they didn't raise issues. I can hear the response now, "We fixed CMBO when it wasn't 100% and we'll fix CMSF too. Not to worry. Just look at the core game."

Which is also the correct answer. All game companies do it to some greater or lesser extent.

Where it all started falling apart was how long it took.

Now, there maybe some reviewers, that said how good CMSF looked, that don't want to take BFC advertising currency any more. BFC may have spent it all on the CMSF release.

I would think that CMBN would be a much better release if for no other reason than what happened with CMSF. I would think this one, of all those BFC has ever done, will be one of their best releases. They could use some genuinely good press.

Good Hunting.

MR

Last edited:

junk2drive

Reaction score
"Long about" is a common colloquial phrase in North America. It means "on or about".

For example, the phrase was used in the lyrics of this song:

http://www.heptune.com/longabou.html

More famously, Bobby Darin used the phrase in "Splish Splash."

http://www.carlinamerica.com/titles/titles.cgi?MODULE=LYRICS&ID=18&terms=splish splash
I would think Long About would be somewhat of a contraction for "Along a timeline, right about here". Maybe done as 'long about. We pronounce it a bowt, not a boat.

Also see "'round about"

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I would think Long About would be somewhat of a contraction for "Along a timeline, right about here". Maybe done as 'long about. We pronounce it a bowt, not a boat.

Also see "'round about"
Who is "we"?

I pronounce it the same way that Bobby Darin pronounced it. I've never heard it pronounced as in rhyming with "boat".

I don't know what a "bowt" is so I can't say I honestly know how that is pronounced.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really don't remember CMBO having that many issues. A couple people have mentioned it, and all I remember about the patches was adjustments to fire powers, correcting some data, and adding features.