Would you consider "The Longest Day" a classic film?

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could you be thinking of Vietnam and The Green Berets? I remember reading several memoirs years ago by former Green Berets laughing their ass off when the film came out.

Semper Fi!
Scott
Like the ending where the sun set into the ocean. I guess none of the production people ever actually looked at a map.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
One of the worst war movies ever. No real acting, just cameo appearences by a bunch of big stars that wanted to be in the big war movie. No continuity, just jumping from star to star to get their shot in. ABTF was almost as bad. The reason this is considered a classic is because of the big names and the huge amount of cash that went into it. Battle of the Bulge was ten times the movie this was. And of course Cross of Iron is my all time favorite.
Now here is John Wayne-eque no holds barred criticism! And if your boss liked it?

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I haven't seen a John Wayne movie I didn't like.

His last film "The Shootist" rarely is seen on TV any more.....
You must not watch much tv then. The Shootist is in the regular loop of AMC movies. It comes on at least once a month or so.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You must not watch much tv then. The Shootist is in the regular loop of AMC movies. It comes on at least once a month or so.
You are correct swamp-g*mp....

I only watch TV once in a while (at least the Cable TV).

Only shows I get to watch on free TV is NCIS:LA, Kinda dig the tall Amazon with the different right eye.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You are correct swamp-g*mp....

I only watch TV once in a while (at least the Cable TV).

Only shows I get to watch on free TV is NCIS:LA, Kinda dig the tall Amazon with the different right eye.
I don't watch anything on tv now except sports stuff (sometimes movies or Seinfeld/King of Queens reruns). We've got so many movies and the kids play games most of the rest of the time.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't watch anything on tv now except sports stuff (sometimes movies or Seinfeld/King of Queens reruns). We've got so many movies and the kids play games most of the rest of the time.
Just remember to let them "play" OUTSIDE once a month.... Helps to develop their "inner-love" of nature...

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If you notice however, Canada has no "Duke" of their own. And hate is such a strong word.
Without John Wayne as part of the fabric of America, we would be left with the likes of Jane
Fonda. How do you feel about her? You can have her. And Streisand too while I'm at it.

:skull:
They're all actors/entertainers of varying levels of talent and abiliity. John Wayne earned his living pretending to be something he wasn't. How does that influence the real fabric of America? :nuts::clown:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Like the ending where the sun set into the ocean. I guess none of the production people ever actually looked at a map.
One of the worst war movies ever. No real acting, just cameo appearences by a bunch of big stars that wanted to be in the big war movie. No continuity, just jumping from star to star to get their shot in. ABTF was almost as bad. The reason this is considered a classic is because of the big names and the huge amount of cash that went into it. Battle of the Bulge was ten times the movie this was. And of course Cross of Iron is my all time favorite.
Just when I was beginning to think you knew what you wre talking about you applaud 'The Battle of Bulge':gas::gas::kotz::kotz:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
From wikipedia

As the majority of male leads left Hollywood to serve overseas, John Wayne saw his just-blossoming stardom at risk. Despite enormous pressure from his inner circle of friends, he put off enlisting. Wayne was exempted from service due to his age (34 at the time of Pearl Harbor) and family status, classified as 3-A (family deferment). Wayne's secretary recalled making inquiries of military officials on behalf of his interest in enlisting, "but he never really followed up on them."[35] He repeatedly wrote to John Ford, asking to be placed in Ford's military unit, but consistently postponed it until "after he finished one more film."[36] Republic Studios was emphatically resistant to losing Wayne, especially after the loss of Gene Autry to the Army.[37]

Correspondence between Wayne and Herbert J. Yates (the head of Republic) indicates that Yates threatened Wayne with a lawsuit if he walked away from his contract, though the likelihood of a studio suing its biggest star for going to war was minute.[38] Whether or not the threat was real, Wayne did not test it. Selective Service Records indicate he did not attempt to prevent his reclassification as 1-A (draft eligible), but apparently Republic Pictures intervened directly, requesting his further deferment.[39] In May, 1944, Wayne was reclassified as 1-A (draft eligible), but the studio obtained another 2-A deferment (for "support of national health, safety, or interest").[39] He remained 2-A until the war's end. Thus, John Wayne did not illegally "dodge" the draft, but he never took direct positive action toward enlistment.

Panzer Dude

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My two cents and change............

I would say that "The Longest Day" (TLD) is a classic film. To me TLD is a star studded tribute to the soldiers of D-Day. In it's time it probably made a huge impact on the film world and there was no other movie quite like it back then. However, by today's standards it doesn't age well. Audiences today demand more realism in both acting and effects. Citizen Kane is a classic but the effects and back drops look like they are from a high school play by today's standards. However, it is still a great movie. Old films should be judged with some thought given to the time in which they were created.

John Wayne was a cultural icon but as an actor was one dimensional. He basically played himself in every movie he starred in. A good or great actor has some range in the roles that they can play and some emotional depth in their performances. In terms of acting ability he can't hold a candle to Donald Sutherland, eh!

As for "Battle of the Bulge" I completely agree with Paul. I would rank it as one of the ten worst war movies ever. It's a fun movie to watch on a rainy Saturday afternoon when you have nothing better to do but it's nothing more than a popcorn movie. It's an old film as well but so bad that I can't cut it any slack like I would for TLG. Given the money, resources and acting talent available, it could and should have been light years better.

Last edited:

Jockster

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just when I was beginning to think you knew what you wre talking about you applaud 'The Battle of Bulge':gas::gas::kotz::kotz:
Ok, I didn't say that the Battle of the Bulge was a great war movie. But I do believe it was the best of that genre of Hollywood big productions. I can't think of many and there might be one better, but definately not The Big Red One, or ABTF, or Longest Day. I could probobly name 10 war movies off the top of my head that were better than what Hollywood put out in the 60's and 70's.
That being said, I really liked the performances of Shaw and Fonda in BotB. I think one has to excuse the overacting of that period. It was entertaining, kind of like Kelly's Heroes and The Dirty Dozen. The later were better written, but made to entertain us not to enlighten us.
I don't find good war movies entertaining. I usually come out feeling a little sick after having my guts wrenched out. ie... SPR, Deer Hunter, Stalingrad, Das Bot, etc.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok, I didn't say that the Battle of the Bulge was a great war movie. But I do believe it was the best of that genre of Hollywood big productions. I can't think of many and there might be one better, but definately not The Big Red One, or ABTF, or Longest Day. I could probobly name 10 war movies off the top of my head that were better than what Hollywood put out in the 60's and 70's.
That being said, I really liked the performances of Shaw and Fonda in BotB. I think one has to excuse the overacting of that period. It was entertaining, kind of like Kelly's Heroes and The Dirty Dozen. The later were better written, but made to entertain us not to enlighten us.
I don't find good war movies entertaining. I usually come out feeling a little sick after having my guts wrenched out. ie... SPR, Deer Hunter, Stalingrad, Das Bot, etc.
You'll get no argument from me regarding the acting abilities of Fonda et al. It was the locations that killed it for me. The films I really rate are the ones that 'wrench your guts'. Each to his own.

I enjoyed the Longest day and the Bulge when I was younger and hadn't spent 9 years in the marines. After my service I viewed them from a different perspective.

'Cross of Iron' and 'The Odd Angry Shot' were couple of films that I rated during my service. Blackhawk Down, The Hurt Locker and SPR are well up my list. SPR being at the top. I have never, before or since, watched a movie that had the same emotional effect on me that SPR did.

Cheers

P

Last edited:

Jockster

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You'll get no argument from me regarding the acting abilities of Fonda et al. It was the locations that killed it for me. The films I really rate are the ones that 'wrench your guts'. Each to his own.

I enjoyed the Longest day and the Bulge when I was younger and hadn't spent 9 years in the marines. After my service I viewed them from a different perspective.

'Cross of Iron' and 'The Odd Angry Shot' were couple of films that I rated during my service. Blackhawk Down, The Hurt Locker and SPR are well up my list. SPR being at the top. I have never, before or since, watched a movie that had the same emotional effect on me that SPR did.

Cheers

P
That emotional effect is to me what makes a good movie. I feel the same way about SPR.