BoB Normandy has Landed!!!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all

Here is a look at the Band of Brothers map, the 9 scenarios that are included, counter sheets plus there are three extra scenarios, two set on the Brecourt Map and one called Those Normandy Nights set on Deluxe boards this is also an oldie from from one of the old CH! mags and is the only night scenario in this pack. The map is nice but is slightly glossy, not too bad but I prefer non glossy style maps. The Map size is 26 hexes by 16 hexes, so essentially the BoB map is about 4 or 5 hexes bigger then a double wide board.

The Brécourt Manor map is not glossy and I think its probably left over stock that Ray decided to include in this module.

There are two sets of counter sheets both the same and representing the Screaming Eagles and the German FJ units that fought at Normandy, a very nice touch with the 101st Combat patch on the American squads as well as the FJ symbol on the 548 German Squads. The 5/8th's inch counters look simply stunning, good enough to put in with the regular counters.

The 9 scenario's I think are pretty awesome and Yes this was play tested with B9.55 like Action Pack 4 was as per Bret Hildebran's recommendations. I do thank everybody for their input on that. There are 9 scenarios included that all use the BoB map, each one is fairly interesting and only two are in the medium size range, the rest are small tourney jobs but still fun nonetheless. I did play test these so I feel each is well balanced and fun and if you liked Paratrooper from AH, I think you will love this pack of scenarios.

Key things to remember playing these scenarios:
Use WP to strip Concealment
Conceal your units when ever possible
Read your Vehicle notes
Know your Bocage Rules
Deploy and deploy and deploy
Bore sight

ON TO LA BARQUETTE BoB#1 6 1/2 Turns
I thought this was a nice small action with the Germans Defending with six squads initially then receiving a couple of more squads with an SPW 251/1 in support later in the game. The Americans Are attacking with 10 squad equivalents and gotta Take buildings and kill Germans with half the Map in use. Not a bad scenario I think and it has a nifty Night light SSR..

STRAYER FORWARD BoB#2 5 1/2 Turns
Another nice small scenario where half the map is in use and once more the Americans are attacking with 9 squad equivalents and need to exit 12 VP's off map, the VP's go down if the Germans except their Armor support in the form of two crappy old H39 tanks, I thought this was a really fun one and especially trying to decide whether I wanted the armor or not. A real nice quandary for us ASL'ers.

ON TO POUPPEVILLE BoB#3 6 1/2 Turns
Another very good and semi small scenario with the American paratroopers once more attacking into the teeth of the German defense. Here the Germans are supported by a 81mm MTR and a 50L ATG along with 8 squads to back them up. The Americans are coming at the Germans with 10 squad equivalents and excellent leadership along with a lone AAMG Jeep, remember to unload the AAMG for extra fire power.And here again, the Americans have to try and exit 12 VP without losing so many squads. Half the map is used for this one.

FIRST TO CLOSE BoB#4 5 1/2 Turns
This time it is the Germans on the Attack with 8 Squad equivalents and a 50L ATG with sundry SW to back up their attack. The Germans gotta wrest control of a couple of buildings for victory and the American here are defending with 7 squad equivalents to throw back any German attack. Not a bad scenario. Half the Map is used

THREE PATROL ACTION BoB 5 5 1/2 Turns
This is one of the larger scenarios in the pack with the Germans getting initially two squads and a couple of leaders , one with an OBA module and the scenario then builds up from their with more German support in the form of 7 squads entering on turn 2, then a towed 105 on turn 3 and a towed 88 entering on turn 1. For their part, the Americans need to overcome the initial German units take their objectives then hold out till the end. The Americans Start out with 8 squad equivalents with an 81mm MTR to support their attack. The whole map is used in this one and I thought it was very fun scenario.

SINK’S ORDERS BoB#6 6 1/2 Turns
Once more the American are attacking and will need to take a hill to win. The Americans get Armored support in the form of 3 M4A1 showing up later in the Game. The Germans also receive Armored support in the form of two Marder tanks, also coming on later in the Game. The cool thing about this scenario is that the whole German OB sets up HIP, so the Americans will have to be Leary of that when they attack, throwing WP grenades when warranted might help too as well as smoke Grenades to cover any crossing of Roads. The German OB consists of 11 squad equivalents with support from a 50L ATG and as mentioned before, backed up with 2 marders later in the Game. The Americans get 14 Squad equivalents and are backed up by good leadership and later on by the Shermans. A nice scenario which uses half the Map.

TENSE MOMENTS BoB#7 5 1/2 Turns
Another interesting scenario with the Americans trying to either exit or take buildings to reduce the exit costs. The Americans are attacking with 9 squad equivalents along with OBA support vs 8 German squads equivalents. Half the map is used in this one and its an ok scenario, not as exciting as the others.

MIXED RESPONSE BoB#8 6 turns
Another scenario where both the German Paratroopers are pitted against the American screaming eagles, the whole map is used for this one with alot of toys for both sides with a sequential set up too. A nice fun scenario in its final form

MAN AND MACHINE BoB Bonus 1 9 1/2 Turns
Now here is a Manley scenario of gasp, medium length and my personal fav of the Bunch. Here the Americans have to exit so many VP's and also avoid casualties to this end the Americans are attacking with 14 squad equivalents with the support of four Shermans across the whole map. The Germans are defending with 8 squad equivalents and support from two ATG's, a 50L and 75L with reinforcements entering on turn 3 that consist of 6 1/2 more squads an AA Truck and 1 SPW 251/1. Once more, deploying those Americans will pay off when uncovering hidden units and what not. A great scenario I think.

Well there ya go, a great set of scenarios, a nice map and all can be played in an evenings time.

Scott

Last edited:

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott,

Thanks for posting the preview pics.My copy is on its way along with Bataan mod (and hoping Berlin Final Days wont be much longer til its ready.)

On the countersheet,do I see what appears to be the John Wayne-Longest Day cart? If so can you sum up how it works in the rules?

Scenario 2 with the German H-39 tanks--IIRC didnt you mention that German player has option of receiving these tanks or not,correct? If so is there tradeoff (say in VP awarded to US?)

Thx,
Mark

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

In scenario 2 the Americans gotta exit 12 VP's but if the Germans take the Armor reinforcement group, the exit VP's are reduced to 9. So ya there is a tradeoff, in both my playings of this one, i took the Armor in my first playing, but the American player advanced concealed behind blockage with a BAZ and knocked out one of my H38's. Tried to swing the other H38 AFV around to smash through the Bocage and overrun the offending squad but got bogged crossing the Bocage hexeside lol.

In my second playing, my opponent forgo the H38's and that forced me to try and avoid CC's and doing anything stupid like running into open ground without smoke. The one OBA fire mission the Germans do have, can really put the hurt on the Americans if they dont keep their guys spread out, especially if harassing fire is used. Still it is an interesting scenario and both sides get to attack in a weird sort of way due to the Germans and Americans entering from off board. semi small, but alot of fun.

Did not get Bataan, not really interested in that battle.

Scott,

Thanks for posting the preview pics.My copy is on its way along with Bataan mod (and hoping Berlin Final Days wont be much longer til its ready.)

Scenario 2 with the German H-39 tanks--IIRC didnt you mention that German player has option of receiving these tanks or not,correct? If so is there tradeoff (say in VP awarded to US?)

Thx,
Mark

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Scott nice report. Waiting for mine, should arrive whilst I am away with work next week.

Intrested in the bonus gear as well though.

Ian

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott,
On the countersheet,do I see what appears to be the John Wayne-Longest Day cart? If so can you sum up how it works in the rules?
Thx,
Mark
Hi ya Mark-

I think they are included for the possibilty of future scenarios. None of the BoB scenarios use the counter.

Scott

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi ya Mark-

I think they are included for the possibilty of future scenarios. None of the BoB scenarios use the counter.

Scott
Thats a bit naughty given the e-mail that was sent out made a point about mentioning the counter (and John Wayne), though anyone buying the pack because of the cart has aproblem:laugh:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
One of my critisims of CH products is that they rarely provide you with concealment counters. I have a number of trays now devoted to CH counters from the various modules but to play a game requires getting out the AH/MMP trays. Not a big deal for most but bothers me for a number of reasons. Oh, well. Soon my original AH counters will be so worn that I can recycle them into CH concealment counters rather than tossing them out.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
One of my critisims of CH products is that they rarely provide you with concealment counters. I have a number of trays now devoted to CH counters from the various modules but to play a game requires getting out the AH/MMP trays. Not a big deal for most but bothers me for a number of reasons. Oh, well. Soon my original AH counters will be so worn that I can recycle them into CH concealment counters rather than tossing them out.
If you have more than one set of counters you could move some across anyway. Have you noticed they provide six Black SS ones on the sheet? Though it could then be argued that for one product at least don't supply double the counters but hit you with a bunch of ? counters.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thats a bit naughty given the e-mail that was sent out made a point about mentioning the counter (and John Wayne), though anyone buying the pack because of the cart has aproblem:laugh:
Well, I guess Ray is just weird including that sort of stuff, but its minimal, so it wont kill your your experience playing the best balanced scenarios for this year. Heck, I think these scenarios are much better balanced then the Journal or AP offerings of late.

Scott

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gosh, you think a Critical Hit product is better than an MMP product? Surprise surprise.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gosh, you think a Critical Hit product is better than an MMP product? Surprise surprise.
Well, if I was to compare Roman Glory and Red Christmas to your AP 3, Id say both those CH! products were far better then your AP 3. They were fun, interesting and all were pretty much balanced compared to the AP 3 scenarios.

Scott

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awwwwwww! The big bully hurt my feelings! I don't play this game as well Pitman so I don't measure up in Pitman's mind. I guess I didn't fool you when I sat there going thru the motions at ASLOk.

Scott

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

So who has purchased this module thus far? Hopefully a VASL map will be out on this soon and I can replay these gems once more lol.

Scott

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Well, I guess Ray is just weird including that sort of stuff, but its minimal, so it wont kill your your experience playing the best balanced scenarios for this year. Heck, I think these scenarios are much better balanced then the Journal or AP offerings of late.

Scott
We all have our pet peeves. Color me weird. Six concealment counts x2, whoopee!

x6ftundx

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
do we need anything other than the information markers for this pack? I know we need the rulebook but I was wondering if I need BV or Yanks... I really hate that Critical Hit doesn't list what MMP ASL Modules are needed for their addon's.

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We all have our pet peeves. Color me weird. Six concealment counts x2, whoopee!

mine is having, with all the official PTO releases, like 150 Japanese 4-4-7's, and yet STILL only having 12 total Japanese coloured acquisition counters lol.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
do we need anything other than the information markers for this pack? I know we need the rulebook but I was wondering if I need BV or Yanks... I really hate that Critical Hit doesn't list what MMP ASL Modules are needed for their addon's.
They will mention MMP's products as little as possible. They do mention "Players of Beyond Valor(tm) and beyond will find an extensive collection of VARIANT products published in our ASLComp line." Amazing they don't distort their ASLComp name with a (tm) next to it that isn't even the usual raised tm logo the wouldn't distort the name so much. Of course that would make it more obvious that some other company owns the ASL name and logo.

Genius.