Your mind on buying?

Your mid on buying?

• Yes. will buy upon release

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • No, will wait for player reviews then decide

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • No, will wait forthe first patch then decide.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • No, won't be buying it at all.

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With the initial posting for CM:BN what's your opinion now on buying the game upon release?

1. Yes, will buy on release.
2. No, will wait for player reviews then decide.
3. No, will wait for the first patch then decide.
4. No, won't be buying it at all.

junk2drive

Reaction score
2. I don't care about TCP/IP. It's ok if a lot of stuff is missing if it is a fun game about WWII with US forces. I hate the DRM but will cave in if the game turns out to be good enough. I won't play RT.

MeatEtr

Reaction score
I went with "will buy on release" because of their proven track record. And the word is, the new QB system rocks!
:headbang:

junk2drive

Reaction score
I quit playing Close Combat years ago. Every once in a while I install one of them and try again. I just can't do it. If CMx2 is no good in WEGO than I guess it's not for me.

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As I have posted on numerous occasions: "2".

I am an avid CM x 1 fan--that means that WeGo play will have to be strong for me to seriously consider a non-bargain bin buy. DRM is also important and may push me one way or another, if I end up on or near the fence about purchasing CM:BN--or any other game for that matter. What PC-OF has to offer may also be a factor.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I won't buy it if it comes out but to keep a certain somebody's panties from bunching up I'll try the demo.

-dale

MeatEtr

Reaction score
WEGO is still great, nothing wrong with it. It's just that tactically speaking, in RT you get better results compared to WEGO. There's been loads of discussion on "WEGO vs. RT" in the CMSF forums. In a nutshell, it's like this, with RT you get unlimited pauses but sacrifice the replay feature. Which is certainly a factor for the larger battles. But I'll take total control of my units at all times over replay.

For MP, I see QBs being popular for the RTers along with smaller sized battles. While the bigger battles almost always are played PBEM. I think overall PBEM is still the most popular of the two, no doubt.

As for the DRM, what DRM? It's so painless I've forgotten about it, never had problems with it. Should not be a factor IMO.

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As for the DRM, what DRM? It's so painless I've forgotten about it, never had problems with it. Should not be a factor IMO.
The DRM (at least as I understand it) provides limited installs. This is a problem for me traveling and living in two different places. Further, you need BF's permission to activate the game. That means that they are in control and I am not. If they go belly up or just decide to no longer to support the product (as has happened at some downloaded music vendors), then you don't even have a CD drink coaster.

If you want painless DRM--try Matrix and their serial number activation. If this works for the biggest and most successful dedicated wargaming company, it should work (and be cheaper to implement and support) for BF.

MeatEtr

Reaction score
The DRM (at least as I understand it) provides limited installs. This is a problem for me traveling and living in two different places. Further, you need BF's permission to activate the game. That means that they are in control and I am not. If they go belly up or just decide to no longer to support the product (as has happened at some downloaded music vendors), then you don't even have a CD drink coaster.

If you want painless DRM--try Matrix and their serial number activation. If this works for the biggest and most successful dedicated wargaming company, it should work (and be cheaper to implement and support) for BF.
I think you can have two active installs at one time. Which is probably fine for the vast majority.

As for the belly up problem, I've seen game company's release patches to eliminate the DRM. I'm not familiar with the Matrix DRM, but it sounds great.

British Tommy

Reaction score
Country
ll
Famous last words! :p

Seriously though, I know several people who said the same thing, myself included. At least in regards to playing the AI. The benefits of RT outweigh WEGO.
I'm in the same boat as J2D. I tried RT but couldn't get on with it so WEGO is the way I will play this new game (and also PBEM).

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As for the belly up problem, I've seen game company's release patches to eliminate the DRM.
That is illegal. A bankrupt entity or person no longer controls such assets. They have value to the creditors and cannot be given away by the gaming house--even before (but in anticipation of) a bankruptcy or insolvency.

If they simply chose to go out of business and their assets are unencumbered, then the gaming house can release the software from the DRM--but only if it decides to do so.

If the DRM system is not made by the gaming company in-house, you may have an additional set of problems not pertaining to insolvency.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I definitely will not be buying it until long after player reviews, then if at all it will be second hand & not from BFC. (Assuming I can get it second-hand)

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will definitely buy, as long as some form of FoW fortifications is in.

Not to depend on one concept too much but for me Normandy is about the suspense of moving into a valley where deadly threats might hide anywhere. That's a little pointless if these threats are either too squishy (no fortifications) or if you know where they are without having to take risks to find out.

I will probably wait with actually installing to until reviews, though :)

junk2drive

Reaction score
There is a thread in CMSF about WEGO or RT. The RT players keep repeating that if the force size gets large they can't RT. I'm thinking the average CMx1 scenario is larger than they would play in RT.
My impression is that these are younger players that are used to FPS and like the small unit action and are not concerned with C&C and orders delays.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
There is a thread in CMSF about WEGO or RT. The RT players keep repeating that if the force size gets large they can't RT. I'm thinking the average CMx1 scenario is larger than they would play in RT.
My impression is that these are younger players that are used to FPS and like the small unit action and are not concerned with C&C and orders delays.
The "average" CMX1 scenario appears to be larger than CMBN will be able to handle in most modes - 2 player TCP WEGO, 2 player or solo RT play, etc. A lot of "stuff" going on with the larger 3D models/poly counts, 1:1 modelling, real world physics and bullet tracking. That's if you consider the "average" CMX1 scenario to be a battalion (-). I have no basis for that conclusion; I should probably look at the release discs of the three games and see what the headcount average for the release scenarios was. I'm curious if the scenario size increased over time. I tend to think not as far as CMAK and CMBB, but perhaps they were a bit bigger than CMBO, but that's only a hunch. I'm talking about battles and not operations.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I will buy it on release. CMSF is a decent game and CMBN can only build on this. I do have reservations though. For one, I'm not sure ww2 has the same appeal that it once did, either for me, or for the majority of gamers. Not many ww2 games coming out these days.

I don't think it will be out anytime soon though.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The "average" CMX1 scenario appears to be larger than CMBN will be able to handle in most modes - 2 player TCP WEGO, 2 player or solo RT play, etc. A lot of "stuff" going on with the larger 3D models/poly counts, 1:1 modelling, real world physics and bullet tracking. That's if you consider the "average" CMX1 scenario to be a battalion (-). I have no basis for that conclusion; I should probably look at the release discs of the three games and see what the headcount average for the release scenarios was. I'm curious if the scenario size increased over time. I tend to think not as far as CMAK and CMBB, but perhaps they were a bit bigger than CMBO, but that's only a hunch. I'm talking about battles and not operations.
I think that if you go way back, the point cap on battles went up during the CMBO run - Steve meant to make a company+ wargame and quickly caved to the battalion- crowd. I think.

-dale

junk2drive

Reaction score
I think that if you go way back, the point cap on battles went up during the CMBO run - Steve meant to make a company+ wargame and quickly caved to the battalion- crowd. I think.

-dale
I think you are correct. I seem to remember Steve talking about it over the years that CM was designed for smaller forces but people kept demanding more and they made it work. And that they were not going to do that for x2.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

-dale
Sounds consistent. I'm tempted to go look now.