New members introduce yourself here

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"1st will be fine for you...the rules are essentiallythe same, just some cleanup and fine adjustments in 2nd Ed. If Ian (custardpie) can get you the Chapter E, you'll be good for awhile. Don't get me wrong, though, ASLRB 2nd Ed is simply the best money you can spend on ASL, but probably not a rush. As for buying stuff, The Gamer's Armory has an excellent reputation, and Alex Key (an internet seller in Illinois) is who I use (PM me if you want his email). Both have reputations for the best prices and good service."

My volume does have the first set of updates, like A7+8(87.) The first update redemption coupon is marked invalid, and I'm just a little late to use the 2cd one (like 23 years, lol) so I guess I'm somewhere between 1st & 2cd eds.

Another couple of quick question. I have maps 1-8 and 12-24 and scenarios using 11 and 35. Do you recommend buying these? (I prefer mounted, but I realize I might have to use the newer type.) Second, are minor allies from COI suitable for the present? It seems like I'm still quite a ways from considering the gamettes that would require those. Is "Beyond Alamein" worth the money? I'm not too hip on desert fighting (admittedly I've never tried it in ASL) but would like to have the Ities and British OOBs.

Last edited:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
"1st will be fine for you...the rules are essentiallythe same, just some cleanup and fine adjustments in 2nd Ed. If Ian (custardpie) can get you the Chapter E, you'll be good for awhile. Don't get me wrong, though, ASLRB 2nd Ed is simply the best money you can spend on ASL, but probably not a rush. As for buying stuff, The Gamer's Armory has an excellent reputation, and Alex Key (an internet seller in Illinois) is who I use (PM me if you want his email). Both have reputations for the best prices and good service."

My volume does have the first set of updates, like A7+8(87.) The first update redemption coupon is marked invalid, and I'm just a little late to use the 2cd one (like 23 years, lol) so I guess I'm somewhere between 1st & 2cd eds.

Another couple of quick question. I have maps 1-8 and 12-24 and scenarios using 11 and 35. Do you recommend buying these? (I prefer mounted, but I realize I might have to use the newer type.) Second, are minor allies from COI suitable for the present? It seems like I'm still quite a ways from considering the gamettes that would require those. Is "Beyond Alamein" worth the money? I'm not too hip on desert fighting (admittedly I've never tried it in ASL) but would like to have the Ities and British OOBs.
Re: the rulebook... What you have is a partially updated 1st Edition. Even a fully updated 1st Edition is not the same as 2nd Edition. I really don't know what came in each set of updates. By the time I was buying 1st Edition, it was post-89. Really, any ASLRB is the same basic game and is fine to get started. If and when you decide you're in for the long haul, no better money can be spent on ASL than on an ASLRB2.

Re: the maps. Well, some hard-mounted maps are hard to come by these days. If you're nuts on hard-mounted boards, buy the ones you can find. Board 11 comes in Doomed Battalions, which is available and Board 35 was in Code of Bushido, so it'll be in Rising Sun (the new PTO mega-module) when that comes out (next year?). From my POV, trying to grab boards to match the scenarios you have is the wrong approach. Rather, I'd suggest you consider which nationalities and theaters interest you and go that way. The Italians are in Hollow Legions, which should be acquirable on the secondary market and if you're keen on them, Action Pack 3 is entirely devoted to Italians and has some excellent scenarios as well as three very often used boards (24,42,43). The Brits have been re-issued in For King and Country which should be re-printed very soon. So unless you're really hot and bothered about desert (and it doesn't sound like you are), I wouldn't go too nuts trying to find West of Alemein in the secondary market. I think its price has spiked recently, too.... As for using SL counters, I wouldn't recommend it. The ASL counters have a bunch of additional things on them and there are more squad types for most if not all nationalities, though some of that's from memory...my SL stuff is all in storage.

I think I hit all your questions... :)

S

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, Spense. I do have a few more questions, lol. (Actually I've got 100 of them; maybe my questions will help some other newby not be a pain...)

Anyway... I was browsing through some ASL-theme websites and found an article about certain games being dependent on other games; in fact they had a tree that showed where some of the sub-sub games fit into subgames, etc. etc. Would anyone have any idea where I saw this? Sorry I can't be more specific; I've tried several times to find it without success. I assume there's the big 4: BV, Yanks, Alemein and Bushido for the Russ, Germans, US, Brits and Japanese. I've looked in product descriptions for various things but at this stage in its life it's hard to located some information. Is the Italian OOB in Alamein? Is it necessary to own, say, Alamein (or the Ity OOB) to play partisans?

I feel rather van Winklish at the moment.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, Spense. I do have a few more questions, lol. (Actually I've got 100 of them; maybe my questions will help some other newby not be a pain...)

Anyway... I was browsing through some ASL-theme websites and found an article about certain games being dependent on other games; in fact they had a tree that showed where some of the sub-sub games fit into subgames, etc. etc. Would anyone have any idea where I saw this? Sorry I can't be more specific; I've tried several times to find it without success. I assume there's the big 4: BV, Yanks, Alemein and Bushido for the Russ, Germans, US, Brits and Japanese. I've looked in product descriptions for various things but at this stage in its life it's hard to located some information. Is the Italian OOB in Alamein? Is it necessary to own, say, Alamein (or the Ity OOB) to play partisans?

I feel rather van Winklish at the moment.
The 2 Half-Squads have that chart, here:

http://the2halfsquads.s3.amazonaws.com/pics/aslmoduledependency.jpg

Italian OOB is in Hollow Legions.

Partisans themselves are in Beyond Valor. Aside from scenarios featuring them, nothing else is needed to play them. If you mean the module Partisan! it requires nothing but BV, though it has largely been superceded by Armies of Oblivion.

S

SkaterMcgee

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello I am new, my name is Joey, I am 19, I have no idea what ASL is whatsoever and I would like to know what it is, because apparently people are crazy about it, and I have never heard of it, maybe I am too young.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hello I am new, my name is Joey, I am 19, I have no idea what ASL is whatsoever and I would like to know what it is, because apparently people are crazy about it, and I have never heard of it, maybe I am too young.
Hi Joey,

ASL is "Advanced Squad Leader" - the most comprehensive WWII tactical gaming SYSTEM ever made for squad level combat. The ASL system covers the whole of the second world war. Its HUGE! lol. Very playable though....

SkaterMcgee

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just looked up some videos on Youtube, it seems so complicated, and I am definatly not new, I meant I am new to this part of the forums, I dont play board games but I would like to see what the big fuss is about ASL

glandowski

Reaction score
ASL is complex for certain, but think of it as a salad bar - you agree with your opponent as to which rules are in effect. I like ASL for a good read as to all the complexities of "modern" battle which might be taken into consideration.

The Starter Kits are a nice way to ease into the game, and in the rules there is a Basic Training section which also eases you into the swing of things. It's a lot to digest, but I was lucky to have a local group of gamers who are willing to mentor newer members through a game. Some people don't like to do this, but you can always offer to play - and *real* ASL nut will jump at any chance to play and playing is the best way to get the rules.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I just looked up some videos on Youtube, it seems so complicated, and I am definatly not new, I meant I am new to this part of the forums, I dont play board games but I would like to see what the big fuss is about ASL
Best. Game. Ever. That's what the fuss is about. ;)

Seriously, ASL is complex, but once you have the hang of playing it, it's also very smooth, highly interactive and so comprehensive it never gets boring. There is now an "ASL Lite" product called the Starter Kits. ASLSK#1 is less than $30, is a complete game, and is a great way to determine whether you'll like the game. It's not the full rules set, but it contains the flavor of the thing quite nicely and is an inexpensive test drive.

And you'll find a lot of help here. Ask a lot of questions. :)

Welcome (hopefully) to ASL!

S

Last edited:

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Best. Game. Ever. That's what the fuss is about. ;)

Seriously, ASL is complex, but once you have the hang of playing it, it's also very smooth, highly interactive and so comprehensive it never gets boring. There is now an "ASL Lite" product called the Starter Kits. ASLSK#1 is less than $30, is a complete game, and is a great way to determine whether you'll like the game. It's not the full rules set, but it contains the flavor of the thing quite nicely and is an expensive test drive.

And you'll find a lot of help here. Ask a lot of questions. :)

Welcome (hopefully) to ASL!

S
I am assuming you meant in-expensive...unless you are referencing my budget....then you would be correct. :)

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I am assuming you meant in-expensive...unless you are referencing my budget....then you would be correct. :)
You guess correctly. Fixed. Freudian slip. The first hit is cheap. After that, well, y'know, I know how much I'm going to drop on this game in the next ten days. Yikes! (and Huzzah!) :laugh:

S

SimonC

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi,

I'm new to Gamesquad and have just redisovered ASL (used to play SL back in the early 80's). Having fun trying to track down the stuff I need, and looking for games in my area.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to Hell, I mean Game Squad. Most people are away at the big ASLOK tourny. If your in London then I know there is a big tado across the pond called Intesive Fire.

If you don't already have the link for the free British mag and info on the torney here is the link:

http://www.vftt.co.uk/index.aspx

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi,

I'm new to Gamesquad and have just redisovered ASL (used to play SL back in the early 80's). Having fun trying to track down the stuff I need, and looking for games in my area.
There is a London group of players who meet up every month. The group is called Double One I think. If you check the "opponents wanted" thead here at Gamesquad you may find some info.

Welcome!

Chingkim

Reaction score
Hello All

My name's Steven and I'm a Noob for posting on here. Been playing ASL since '87. I like this website. I've been enjoying what I've been reading. I posted a question and got a quick response. Thanks for that. Also, look for the post I did on me and my Dad's favorite "House Rule" for playing "covered" scenarios.

That's all - I'm out.