Clue to Current State of CMN and Release Date

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You lost me. What is it you think the beta testers are being negligent about then? I don't get that from his comments at all.
You have lost me as well.

I did not say anything about beta testers. I said that the state of the game is in an alpha state at best, based on what BF has told us so far--along with what they have not done (e.g. create a sub-section on the forum for CMN).

Jeph

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
What Steve really means is that he/BF missed the gaffes that appear in the WIP shots, which--if caught--could and should have pointed out by BF when the shots are posted. But maybe the key thing is an apparent inability to say thanks to those who point these things out and then commit to fixing them. No one is perfect. The problem is that BF (read: mostly Steve) too often claims that it is nearly so.
So can you provide a single example of that?

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BF's posting of the Tiger shots for CMN and BF's response to players pointing out that the Americans rarely come into contact with Tigers in the period shortly after Overlord immediately comes to mind.

There was also something about an upside down ammo pouch in CMN shots they posted.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
So can you provide a single example of that?
Yeah, this is the post I was referring to as well. It seems unfair. I think KG_Jag is being a bit disingenuous - and is now claiming that the game isn't even being worked on? I obviously don't know either way, but Steve keeps chirping on about something. His comment in the same thread I just quoted talked about the beta testers becoming 'addicted' to CM:N, and dalem mentioned Elvis' confidence. Elvis posted a few times about his experiences with CM:N - in fact, he talked at length about playing the old "Last Defence" scenario ported over to the new game engine IIRC. That would indicate to me at least an alpha version.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
BF's posting of the Tiger shots for CMN and BF's response to players pointing out that the Americans rarely come into contact with Tigers in the period shortly after Overlord immediately comes to mind.
How is that a "gaffe" though. BFC didn't consider it a gaffe and I'm not sure we should either. The Tiger model, whether it gets used much in the first game, will need to be used eventually in the series, and like it or not, the Tiger is one of the most recognizable pieces of kit. And we still don't know the actual scope of the game, or which units will be involved, so it's impossible to say if the Tiger is "date inappropriate" or not.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
For a game that could have been finished in December 2009, we sure know next to nothing about it 9 months later.

This lack of info drives nothing but the wilder speculation that surrounds the game.

What do we actually know about this game that's got beta testers so excited?

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think these current beta testers are excited about being beta testers.

-dale
ROFL!!

At first, that might seem like a jealous remark. Overall, I doubt that more than a small vocal minority of CM beta testers have an exaggerated sense of self importance due to their roles. Unfortunately, the loudest voices are the ones we listen to most often.

I would wager that the beta brigade has the same principles of community that are observed in other comparable examples: they have a wide range of personalities that get along with one another overall and a well defined set of social norms that would almost represent institutional routines, behaviors and rules. As well, I doubt that all of them have been completely hornswaggled by Steve's cult of personality, although the absence of sychophantry would be highly improbable.

Cheers!

Leto

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think KG_Jag is being a bit disingenuous - and is now claiming that the game isn't even being worked on? I obviously don't know either way...
I never made any such claim.

I have stated that CMN progress seems to be painstakingly slow. Of course it's up to BF to give us honest status reports from time to time. It is also in their best interest--especially in light of the PC-OF announcement.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Of course it's up to BF to give us honest status reports from time to time. It is also in their best interest--especially in light of the PC-OF announcement.
It's theirs to do with what they want. I agree with you that their customer service and customer relations model is abysmal at times. Their lack of info on CM:N may indeed be evidence that something is not right. I apologize if I am reading too much into your remarks; it just seemed like you were reading a bit too much into Steve's.

Perhaps in Q4 ... not far off ... we'll all have much better things to be talking about in any event. ;)

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of course it's up to BF to give us honest status reports from time to time. It is also in their best interest--especially in light of the PC-OF announcement.
It's hard to give a status report from the bathroom - since they are probably still in there changing their pants after that announcement...

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
They're not competitors, all kidding aside. It's a niche market, and if you like the niche, odds are, you'll snatch up what few titles are available in that niche. Especially when the releases are so few and far between.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's hard to give a status report from the bathroom - since they are probably still in there changing their pants after that announcement...
I honest;y dont know about that. It seems to me that if anything PC-O would be a direct competitor for all of the CM-1 games. Actually, probably an improvement over them.

If you have a small niche market and you decide (as BF seem to have) to give up the small niche that CMBB had, then something like PC-O comes along and takes that niche away from you.

I also imagine though that all of the CMN features that have been put in to bring back the lost CM-1 features and presumably make old CM-1 fans buy the game just possibly may be negated by PCO being something a lot of guys wanted.

Looking at PCO's new features then you can see its what a heck of a lot of gamers were asking for, things like choosing how long turns would last is just one of them.....

So rather than a CMN competitor we may have a true improved CM-1 contender in the making. Of course I need to play the game first......

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That begs the question- will CM:N now be delayed further to play catch up on features?
Although, if PC-O pans out will anyone really care that an already outdated & limited scope game hits the market?

The buzz about a great WW2 game being released (PC-O) will take a lot out of the sails of a follow up game (CM:N) & excitment around it.

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That begs the question- will CM:N now be delayed further to play catch up on features?
Although, if PC-O pans out will anyone really care that an already outdated & limited scope game hits the market?

The buzz about a great WW2 game being released (PC-O) will take a lot out of the sails of a follow up game (CM:N) & excitment around it.
Which feature?

Most features PC has over CM are those Steve would never have in one of his game, mostly related to modding and extensions. They would also never let us write our own editor.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Panzer Command and Combat Mission are mostly apples and oranges at this point, at least in approach. I think people will be safe in buying both. Not to mention one is eastern front, the other is western front, which does appeal to different audiences (admittedly with a great deal of overlap).

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Which feature?

Most features PC has over CM are those Steve would never have in one of his game, mostly related to modding and extensions. They would also never let us write our own editor.
Who cares, honestly. 95% of owners will never make up their own units, and 99.9% will never create their own 3D model. I certainly won't. I'm happy that players have the option to, and I can imagine that some bright boys will be able to come up with some interesting "theatre mods" for widespread distribution (at cost of a lot of work), but I think you will see some Operation Flashpointitis set in where sweeping mod projects get started - mostly impressive looking websites with bells, whistles, and status boards - that never get finished.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IIRC, quite a few mods got started for PCK and I am not sure how many got finished.